My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
VJJ ? I hope so. But then there are guys with nearly perfect RAS scores who bomb out., which is why I don't put much weight into them.
Totally agree. Was mostly showing the RAS for Deebo who people compared him to

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
This is the last time I am going to say it because I am getting sick of typing it. Jalen Tolbert or Abraham Lucas was there in the 3rd. VJJ feels like a complete reach to me, I hope he proves me wrong. I don't buy into the RAS stuff as much as others on here, but there is some validity to it.

This was an otherwise really good draft for a rookie GM minus VJJ in the 3rd.

View attachment 19952
RAS is way overrated when you just look at the USAToday colors as an indicator of success, other than to say more athletic people are usually better at athletics. 3 inches in vertical gives you almost double the score. 27/100ths of a second in the shuttle quadruples your score. and I am not even sure how 204 lbs can be considered a big negative for a WR.

Wide Receiver​

Everyone's favorite group to pick the outliers from. Wide receiver has some very notable exceptions that people love to point to and explain how pointless measurements are. In fact, players with a RAS over 5.00 make the Pro Bowl just under twice as often as those with scores below average. Still, it has the third-lowest correlation for offense, behind QB and OC. Despite that, the same number of players scored an 8.00 and above as scored below 5.00, 13 out of 37 receivers. This is a good time to point out that our highest scoring Pro Bowler, Calvin Johnson, also has the most impressive RAS out of the 5,400 players and counting in my database. Calvin's raw average (a behind-the-scenes number, just an average of all of the individual scores) was 9.68, almost a full point ahead of the next highest Pro Bowler, Andre Johnson, though you'd never know it looking at just their RAS where Calvin is 10.00 and Andre is 9.94. Players like Julio Jones (9.86) and Roddy White (9.07) played across from one another while Emmanuel Sanders (9.00) and Mike Wallace (8.79) were once a thing. Speaking of Steelers receivers, Antonio Brown is one of our great outliers at only 1.28 out of 10. Joining him near the bottom are, in order, Randall Cobb (0.82), Brandon Lloyd (0.49), Wes Welker (0.47), Anquan Boldin (0.42), and Jarvis Landry at only 0.04 out of 10.

Here are a few good articles detailing the extreme imitations to these "scores."

RAS Offense

RAS defense

Brownie

Liked Posts:
Okay but at some point you know, QBs and shit.
They'll get there. Its a QB driven league but JF can't do it all by himself. Nor should he have to when we have talent in the RB room. We'd be stupid not to play to the strength that we DO have.

Run the ball and surprise/be competent in the passing game in 2022 until we can get more weapons in 2023.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
They'll get there. Its a QB driven league but JF can't do it all by himself. Nor should he have to when we have talent in the RB room. We'd be stupid not to play to the strength that we DO have.

Run the ball and surprise/be competent in the passing game in 2022 until we can get more weapons in 2023.
Run the ball to setup the play action passing game. Best friend for a young QB, especially one that can run as well. It'll be important to put some designed runs in there as well to keep the contain guys on defense honest.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This is the last time I am going to say it because I am getting sick of typing it. Jalen Tolbert or Abraham Lucas was there in the 3rd. VJJ feels like a complete reach to me, I hope he proves me wrong. I don't buy into the RAS stuff as much as others on here, but there is some validity to it.

This was an otherwise really good draft for a rookie GM minus VJJ in the 3rd.

View attachment 19952

It is obvious they wanted a YAC and deep threat guy hence why they valued VJJ more. Tolbert is a different kind of WR.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Run the ball to setup the play action passing game. Best friend for a young QB, especially one that can run as well. It'll be important to put some designed runs in there as well to keep the contain guys on defense honest.

Especially when your young QB seemed to be at his best off of play action.

Fields hits on a couple of those deep in the first quarter, opposing defenses will have to start playing a Bear offense completely differently for the first time in half a decade.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
It is obvious they wanted a YAC and deep threat guy hence why they valued VJJ more. Tolbert is a different kind of WR.
ORLY ?

2021: 82 receptions, 1,474 yards, 8 TD, 581 YAC, 18.0 yards per reception

2020: 64 receptions, 1,085 yards, 8 TD, 280 YAC, 17.0 yards per reception

It was ignorant to pass Tolbert up, spin it any way you want to.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
RAS is way overrated when you just look at the USAToday colors as an indicator of success, other than to say more athletic people are usually better at athletics. 3 inches in vertical gives you almost double the score. 27/100ths of a second in the shuttle quadruples your score. and I am not even sure how 204 lbs can be considered a big negative for a WR.

Wide Receiver​

Everyone's favorite group to pick the outliers from. Wide receiver has some very notable exceptions that people love to point to and explain how pointless measurements are. In fact, players with a RAS over 5.00 make the Pro Bowl just under twice as often as those with scores below average. Still, it has the third-lowest correlation for offense, behind QB and OC. Despite that, the same number of players scored an 8.00 and above as scored below 5.00, 13 out of 37 receivers. This is a good time to point out that our highest scoring Pro Bowler, Calvin Johnson, also has the most impressive RAS out of the 5,400 players and counting in my database. Calvin's raw average (a behind-the-scenes number, just an average of all of the individual scores) was 9.68, almost a full point ahead of the next highest Pro Bowler, Andre Johnson, though you'd never know it looking at just their RAS where Calvin is 10.00 and Andre is 9.94. Players like Julio Jones (9.86) and Roddy White (9.07) played across from one another while Emmanuel Sanders (9.00) and Mike Wallace (8.79) were once a thing. Speaking of Steelers receivers, Antonio Brown is one of our great outliers at only 1.28 out of 10. Joining him near the bottom are, in order, Randall Cobb (0.82), Brandon Lloyd (0.49), Wes Welker (0.47), Anquan Boldin (0.42), and Jarvis Landry at only 0.04 out of 10.

Here are a few good articles detailing the extreme imitations to these "scores."

RAS Offense

RAS defense
Yeah it's why i said I don't put much weight into it.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
ORLY ?

2021: 82 receptions, 1,474 yards, 8 TD, 581 YAC, 18.0 yards per reception

2020: 64 receptions, 1,085 yards, 8 TD, 280 YAC, 17.0 yards per reception

It was ignorant to pass Tolbert up, spin it any way you want to.
In your eyes/mind it was ignorant, but clearly the Bears front office felt otherwise. Clearly they drafted VJJ because he will fit the new system better.

The draft is in the past and needs to stay there. There is no point in bringing up conversations about who you wish Poles had drafted. Let’s just see what Getsy could do with the rookie.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Especially when your young QB seemed to be at his best off of play action.

Fields hits on a couple of those deep in the first quarter, opposing defenses will have to start playing a Bear offense completely differently for the first time in half a decade.
Let’s also remember that for play action, run blocking is more important than pass blocking. The OL drive off the blocks and run block before rooting and anchoring into their pass blocking.

The initial run blocking will help them to not have to give up initiative by beginning in a pass set and inviting the rush.

It’s a subtle nuance, but a lot of people don’t realize the effect a solid PA and RPO has on blocking.