*OFFICIAL* Offseason Rumors, Signings, and Shenanigans

TL1961

Liked Posts:
This is the last time I am going to say it because I am getting sick of typing it. Jalen Tolbert or Abraham Lucas was there in the 3rd. VJJ feels like a complete reach to me, I hope he proves me wrong. I don't buy into the RAS stuff as much as others on here, but there is some validity to it.

This was an otherwise really good draft for a rookie GM minus VJJ in the 3rd.

View attachment 19952
But the bitching is about not using the second rounders on WR or OL as well.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
ORLY ?

2021: 82 receptions, 1,474 yards, 8 TD, 581 YAC, 18.0 yards per reception

2020: 64 receptions, 1,085 yards, 8 TD, 280 YAC, 17.0 yards per reception

It was ignorant to pass Tolbert up, spin it any way you want to.
Look, I liked Tolbert as much as anyone. What he brings is a good WR.

Now, does he, day 1, force the defense to instantly account for him as soon as he’s on the field? I’m not sure. I see him as a good WR that will learn routes and run them effectively.

VJJ gives them a weapon that can move around and force a D to account for where he’s at. Yeah, he may run two routes all season, but those routes, in this scheme, are fucking deadly.

I don’t see them being able to line up Tolbert in the backfield and motion him to 5 wide. The key reason is that VJJ could actually take the handoff from the backfield.

So, yes the knock is that VJJ is gimicky. But, that is also the strength of why they wanted him. They didn’t want a jump catch solid route runner as much as a weapon that can get put in on day 1, play 1, and grab a screen and take it 10 yards.

Now, does he have the ceiling of Tolbert? Maybe not. He comes in with a floor that can be utilized as a returner and 5-8 touches a game. Also, his jet sweep motion isn’t t just decorative. He’s always a threat to take that handoff.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This is the last time I am going to say it because I am getting sick of typing it. Jalen Tolbert or Abraham Lucas was there in the 3rd. VJJ feels like a complete reach to me, I hope he proves me wrong. I don't buy into the RAS stuff as much as others on here, but there is some validity to it.

This was an otherwise really good draft for a rookie GM minus VJJ in the 3rd.

View attachment 19952
Except those are RB scores. As a WR, Jones is 9.07. Tolbert is a 8.58.
Scouting the top receivers in the 2022 NFL Draft with WROPS, RAS, and WRAPS and other sites.

Last edited:

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Look, I liked Tolbert as much as anyone. What he brings is a good WR.

Now, does he, day 1, force the defense to instantly account for him as soon as he’s on the field? I’m not sure. I see him as a good WR that will learn routes and run them effectively.

VJJ gives them a weapon that can move around and force a D to account for where he’s at. Yeah, he may run two routes all season, but those routes, in this scheme, are fucking deadly.

I don’t see them being able to line up Tolbert in the backfield and motion him to 5 wide. The key reason is that VJJ could actually take the handoff from the backfield.

So, yes the knock is that VJJ is gimicky. But, that is also the strength of why they wanted him. They didn’t want a jump catch solid route runner as much as a weapon that can get put in on day 1, play 1, and grab a screen and take it 10 yards.

Now, does he have the ceiling of Tolbert? Maybe not. He comes in with a floor that can be utilized as a returner and 5-8 touches a game. Also, his jet sweep motion isn’t t just decorative. He’s always a threat to take that handoff.
...and if Jones Jr. becomes more than just a good gadget guy and turns Deebo Samuel-esque, he won't be the first nor the last guy who was "over drafted" who turns out to have been "over drafted" for good reason. The pick was made and now we just hope for the best.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
ORLY ?

2021: 82 receptions, 1,474 yards, 8 TD, 581 YAC, 18.0 yards per reception

2020: 64 receptions, 1,085 yards, 8 TD, 280 YAC, 17.0 yards per reception

It was ignorant to pass Tolbert up, spin it any way you want to.
VJJ was in the 100% perecentile in YAC and separation and 4.31 is faster than 4.49. VJJ first on the below. Tolbert is 14th.

20220519_152114.jpg

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
VJJ was in the 100% perecentile in YAC and separation and 4.31 is faster than 4.49. VJJ first on the below. Tolbert is 14th.

View attachment 19960
In all transparency and fairness, Tolbert is looking like a very good pick.

This is from yesterday’s Footballguys’ email:

. DAL - Jalen Tolbert impresses coaches

Source: DallasCowboys.com

Dallas Cowboys WR Jalen Tolbert impressed his coaches at rookie minicamp. 'He's awesome,' offensive coordinator Kellen Moore said of the 2022 third-round pick. 'I think he works his tail off. I think you can tell how prepared he is and how detailed he wants to be. I think he's going to be a really good addition for us.'

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

Tolbert has made a good first impression, which could be an important step to being one of the few rookies to start at wide receiver in Week 1. James Washington is his main competition, although Michael Gallup will obviously get the #2 job back when he is recovered from a January ACL tear.

So, I can see why people wanted him. But, having said that, I think VJJ was the better pick for our situation.

Despite how good Tolbert’s doing, I just don’t see a scenario where he’s able to do what VJJ can for our O.

Honestly, I think if Poles didn’t draft VJJ there due to him being gone, he would have gone with Calvin Austin or Gray. I’m not sure he wanted a straight up WR, but more of a mismatch nightmare.

For those of you who just did a double take with Gray out of SMU, it was his speed. That guy ran on another plane. It was crazy to watch. So, yeah, he was only utilized out of the slot at SMU and wasn’t even their number 1, but, looking at how they plan on using VJJ, I think they were very serious about taking him. But, that’s all what if now since they got their guy.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
In all transparency and fairness, Tolbert is looking like a very good pick.

This is from yesterday’s Footballguys’ email:

. DAL - Jalen Tolbert impresses coaches

Source: DallasCowboys.com

Dallas Cowboys WR Jalen Tolbert impressed his coaches at rookie minicamp. 'He's awesome,' offensive coordinator Kellen Moore said of the 2022 third-round pick. 'I think he works his tail off. I think you can tell how prepared he is and how detailed he wants to be. I think he's going to be a really good addition for us.'

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

Tolbert has made a good first impression, which could be an important step to being one of the few rookies to start at wide receiver in Week 1. James Washington is his main competition, although Michael Gallup will obviously get the #2 job back when he is recovered from a January ACL tear.

So, I can see why people wanted him. But, having said that, I think VJJ was the better pick for our situation.

Despite how good Tolbert’s doing, I just don’t see a scenario where he’s able to do what VJJ can for our O.

Honestly, I think if Poles didn’t draft VJJ there due to him being gone, he would have gone with Calvin Austin or Gray. I’m not sure he wanted a straight up WR, but more of a mismatch nightmare.

For those of you who just did a double take with Gray out of SMU, it was his speed. That guy ran on another plane. It was crazy to watch. So, yeah, he was only utilized out of the slot at SMU and wasn’t even their number 1, but, looking at how they plan on using VJJ, I think they were very serious about taking him. But, that’s all what if now since they got their guy.

We wont know who was a good pick or not until these guys play in real games.

But I never said Tolbert was not good. Just said they wanted a YAC and deep speed guy and VJJ has him beat in both.