*OFFICIAL* Offseason Rumors, Signings, and Shenanigans

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think this is an excellent analysis. I would say, though, that even if the WR group is maybe a bit better, it is still rated as the worst or near worst in the NFL by most analysts. So an incremental improvement here does little to help the second year QB that the franchise has invested so much in.

Doesnt matter what they are rated. Only what they produce. I agree they look weak on paper but paper doesnt win games.
Let's hope. Playing behind the O line that gave up the most sacks in the NFL (58) means these receivers will have to get open fast. Yes, I know, the play calling was bad last hear, and screen passes and QB roll outs could help. But the receivers will have to make real improvement for Fields to have any kind of success.

Only guys on this line that was a full time starter is Whitehair and Mustipher and Mustipher isnt a guarantee to start and even if he does it wont be at C most likely. So this OL really isnt the same as last year.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Did @Montucky just dox himself lol

Well Vildor is atrocious as a man CB but the prior idiot at DC somehow didn't realize this and kept leaving him on an island all year. As a zone corner, the numbers show he can almost be average.

Desai was only a tad bit better than Pagano. Thankfully both of those idiots are gone.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You made a point to mention Watson paid millions for them not to talk. My point is the NFL was unlikely to do anything if the cases were still ongoing so he paid millions to move things forward with the NFL. It is not a conincidence they now hearing his case now that the bulk of the cases are settled.

And yes I am aware that it was Houston that sat him but I doubt they did so wothout some input from the NFL.
Doesn't change my argument.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well Vildor is atrocious as a man CB but the prior idiot at DC somehow didn't realize this and kept leaving him on an island all year. As a zone corner, the numbers show he can almost be average.

Desai was only a tad bit better than Pagano. Thankfully both of those idiots are gone.
I was hoping D was more Fangio than Pagano but nope. To think he was the secondary coach and then let that go on for so long as DC was disturbing. Given a choice and with the players available to them, I take him over what Pagano did here but that's not saying a whole lot.

Vildor was a great mirror that never touched the ball when it got there. Kinda like a short blanket on a cold night.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

I was told he was an up and coming HC prospect that the Bears should have considered promoting from within. @remydat

Last edited:

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:

Can’t argue against desai and pagano being bad. I think an overlooked failure of the pace era was how they wasted a solid defense on bad defensive coordinators. This would have been a top tier unit if fangio never left

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Desai could be decent next time around. He was a player's friend type of backfield coach. Sometimes it more difficult to change stripes than start fresh with a group. Doesn't change the facts about sticking with Vildor. I'm sure he looked good on tape until the ball arrived.:(

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I was told he was an up and coming HC prospect that the Bears should have considered promoting from within. @remydat

And in true Pace common sense, he keeps players on the roster for the wrong scheme. Below average Zone corner? Great, let's put him in a defense that requires a lot man coverage and let's see how he can do! Surely nothing will go wrong.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Talent isnt just physical but also mental. Fields is more talented now because he likely understands how to use his gifts better now that he has a better grasp of the game. In addition he is continuing to work on his body as now he is 2 years in on an NFL regimen so he probably has improved his physical gifts as well.

The same goes for all the young guys. NFL training is a vast improvement to college so these young guys bodies are developing and filling out due more time in an NFL strength and conditioning program. This is especially true with Poles emphasizing cutting down on body fat % for example. Doing so means a leaner, fitter and more talented player.

So in short, talent is not static. Younger guys are still working towards physical and mental peaks talent wise.
Can't even front. That's a good as answer. I'll accept that.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Also, one legit criticism of Poles is that he probably has not done enough to help Fields. Yes, I expect the better coaching and hopefully a scheme that makes sense to allow for improvement.

I understood the draft picks. They had so many holes that you cannot pass up better talent to force a pick. No issue there.

However, Poles himself pointed out that a young qb's best friend is a dependable WR. My assumption is that they are hoping that Mooney is that guy. I would have liked to have seen Poles be a bit bolder in acquiring a WR that had a bit more talent or proven production than say EQ. I get that the WR went completely off its rocker at least in part due to the contract the Jags handed out. But, it would have been nice to see one other WR that you think Fields could legit trust a bit to make a play - especially as there seemed to be some veterans to be had for cheap deals. They were cheap deals for good reason, but still...would have been nice to see the Bears get one of those.
I don't think the bolded is all that true. First of all, most of the WRs that changed teams were via big time trades. Adams, Hill, AJ Brown, Marquise Brown, Devante Parker, Cooper. Only trades that weren't for 1st round picks (which the Bears didn't even have) + more were Parker and Cooper. Parker went for a 3rd which was an overpay for someone that isn't dependable. Cooper went for late picks, but he came with a 20M/season price tag. None of those were realistic gets for the Bears.

Secondly, in free agency, Kirk got 18 per, MVS got 10M each for 3 years as did Russell Gage. DJ Chark got 10M for 1 year coming off a devastating injury. That was literally the top of the WR FA market, outside of Allen Robinson, who obviously wasn't coming back here. The best FA deal might have been Cedrick Wilson, and nobody would be content with the WR group if they had Cedrick Wilson instead of Byron Pringle.

The real issue is on the OL, where the Bears still are unsure about 3 spots and don't project as more than serviceable at the other 2. The same 3-year/24M contract that got Zay Jones to the Jags, could have gotten you James Daniels, Alex Cappa, Austin Corbett, Conor Williams, Lael Collins or Trent Brown in the FA market (give or take 700K). If Poles failed anywhere, it's on the OL where there were more bargains and guys who moved the needle further than a WR on the same level as Byron Pringle.