Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
notice the "RB's lined up wide" and who we just drafted.....a fast late round rb who looks like a WR......dying to see how soon they get him into action
Basically pick plays. Notice the TE basically clearing it out for the underneath receiver.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Don't shoot the messenger, i'm simply posting an article on a message board.

The Chicago Bears made solid picks on Day 2 for their defense, but they passed on playmakers at wide receiver and a tackle (Nicholas Petit-Frere or Bernhard Raimann) who could've strengthened quarterback Justin Fields' pass protection.

With a pair of second-round selections, the Bears picked cornerback Kyler Gordon and safety Jaquan Brisker. Both should start in Week 1.

As mentioned, wide receivers have become premium players. The Bears overlooked two 6'3" wideouts who recorded sub-4.5 40 times at the combine in George Pickens and Alec Pierce for a safety, one of the least-valued positions based on contracts and franchise-tag numbers.

General manager Ryan Poles made another misstep when he selected wide receiver Velus Jones Jr. in the third round. Bleacher Report scout Derrik Klassen saw the Tennessee product as an instant-impact special teamer who needs a lot of work before he can contribute at wide receiver:

"Jones is not a complete receiver right now. His route tree was largely limited to go balls, screens and slants. In the rare instances he was asked to run other routes, Jones lacked the technique or sharp movement skills to get in and out of breaks comfortably. Furthermore, Jones' hands are a concern. He struggles to catch balls outside of his frame or when contested in traffic, and he even shows some discomfort finding the ball in clean scenarios from time to time. It will likely take a couple of years for Jones to iron out either of these issues."

View attachment 19690
Bears WR Velus Jones Jr.Wesley Hitt/Getty Images

In 2022, Velus' speed may help the Bears on kick and punt returns more so than in the passing game, which is a disaster with the makeup of the wide receiver room.

Darnell Mooney and Byron Pringle sit atop the depth chart. The former has developed into a reliable playmaker with 142 receptions for 1,686 yards and eight touchdowns in two seasons, but the latter hasn't recorded more than 42 catches or 568 yards in any of his three seasons.

Moreover, Pringle was arrested April 23 on charges of reckless driving and driving with a suspended license, per ESPN's Courtney Cronin.

Chicago made 11 picks but used only one on a wide receiver and waited until the fifth round to select an offensive lineman. Keep in mind that Teven Jenkins missed most of his rookie campaign in 2021 because of back surgery. Fellow second-year tackle Larry Borom allowed five sacks and committed four penalties in 633 snaps last year, per Pro Football Focus.

The Bears failed to add high-end talent around Fields through free agency, and they didn't do much better in the draft. Chicago may need one or more undrafted free-agent wide receiver to emerge in training camp.

Lol bleacher report

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
notice the "RB's lined up wide" and who we just drafted.....a fast late round rb who looks like a WR......dying to see how soon they get him into action
Yup. The other thing I’m noticing is that shallow drag that VJJ and Pringle can do some damage with. There’s a lot to like in this draft and how it has rebooted the team to a new O.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Just because I point out the obvious, doesn't mean I'm angry about it. But hey, whatever you need to tell yourself to sleep at night. ;)
sleep-sleeping-time.gif

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yup. The other thing I’m noticing is that shallow drag that VJJ and Pringle can do some damage with. There’s a lot to like in this draft and how it has rebooted the team to a new O.

Oh dear god, I just realized this. Does this mean Velus Jones Jr's nickname is "VaJayJay" (VJJ)?