*OFFICIAL* Offseason Rumors, Signings, and Shenanigans

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
You have often been wrong and been an absolute cowardly bitch on a great many things over the years.

You have no room to talk to anyone about "convoluted crap".
This cracks me up from the guy that goes through user names like they are napkins at a all you can eat buffet. Every year you end up posting something absolutely Special person and then disappear for months and then come back with a new user name to rebrand yourself.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
So all the 1st round QB's that have failed in the past are products of their own demise, and the supporting staff they had around them had nothing to do with it? I don't buy into this logic.
Josh Rosen- can't blame Arizona. Granted, new coach and all, but Murray came in and performed.
Daniel Jones- Giants aren't a great org, but not a disaster. Jones just can't play well enough.
Dwayne Haskins- maturity issues
Sam Darnold- Jets were a mess when he was there, but had a restart w/ Carolina. He probably just can't play
Baker Mayfield- he's done some good things. He survived the Browns when it was a mess, now it's well run and he's OK, not great. Can't blame Cleveland at this point, gave him all the weapons and OL he could want.
Trubisky- he was still in Year 4, not able to read a simple coverage in Atlanta, Nagy was bad, but he probably isn't that good
Paxton Lynch- pretty clear his demise was his own inability
Winston/Mariota- Winston is talented, but clear 30 INTs is on him. TB won a SB the year after he left. Mariota got severely outplayed on the same team by Ryan Tannehill.
Manziel- LOL
Bortles- Jags were well run when he was there, ton of talent, he was just bad

I won't say the situations they were in had literally 0 to do with them failing, but I can't think of any case in the last 10 years where it was clearly the organization, coaching or surrounding talent.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Josh Rosen- can't blame Arizona. Granted, new coach and all, but Murray came in and performed.
Daniel Jones- Giants aren't a great org, but not a disaster. Jones just can't play well enough.
Dwayne Haskins- maturity issues
Sam Darnold- Jets were a mess when he was there, but had a restart w/ Carolina. He probably just can't play
Baker Mayfield- he's done some good things. He survived the Browns when it was a mess, now it's well run and he's OK, not great. Can't blame Cleveland at this point, gave him all the weapons and OL he could want.
Trubisky- he was still in Year 4, not able to read a simple coverage in Atlanta, Nagy was bad, but he probably isn't that good
Paxton Lynch- pretty clear his demise was his own inability
Winston/Mariota- Winston is talented, but clear 30 INTs is on him. TB won a SB the year after he left. Mariota got severely outplayed on the same team by Ryan Tannehill.
Manziel- LOL
Bortles- Jags were well run when he was there, ton of talent, he was just bad

I won't say the situations they were in had literally 0 to do with them failing, but I can't think of any case in the last 10 years where it was clearly the organization, coaching or surrounding talent

Rosen/Jones/Darnold/Mayfield All where in a complete mess of a situation in their first 1-2 years, pointing out that is no longer the case changes nothing, and strengthens my case.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Rosen/Jones/Darnold/Mayfield All where in a complete mess of a situation in their first 1-2 years, pointing out that is no longer the case changes nothing, and strengthens my case.
Rosen- had Byron Leftwich as OC, Fitz and Christian Kirk at WR. Very solid OL.
Jones- had Barkley, Shepard, Slayton, Golden Tate, Evan Engram. Decent OL.
Darnold- I admitted his situation was a mess. But got a 2nd chance in Carolina and he's still the same. You can say he was ruined by the Jets, but the bigger issue is, he can't play
Mayfield- Again, I said this situation was a mess. He survived, they fixed their situation and gave him the best OL in the league. Also, gave him Beckham, Landry and the best run game in the league. He performed in 2020, but fell off in 2021. They clearly didn't ruin him in 2018 if he improved and took his team to the playoffs.

Don't mistake being on a bad team as being in a bad situation. Most 1st round QBs go to bad teams, because they are early picks. And guess what teams pick early? Bad ones.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rosen- had Byron Leftwich as OC, Fitz and Christian Kirk at WR. Very solid OL.
Jones- had Barkley, Shepard, Slayton, Golden Tate, Evan Engram. Decent OL.
Darnold- I admitted his situation was a mess. But got a 2nd chance in Carolina and he's still the same. You can say he was ruined by the Jets, but the bigger issue is, he can't play
Mayfield- Again, I said this situation was a mess. He survived, they fixed their situation and gave him the best OL in the league. Also, gave him Beckham, Landry and the best run game in the league. He performed in 2020, but fell off in 2021. They clearly didn't ruin him in 2018 if he improved and took his team to the playoffs.

Don't mistake being on a bad team as being in a bad situation. Most 1st round QBs go to bad teams, because they are early picks. And guess what teams pick early? Bad ones.
Simple question, Does having talent around him increase a rookies chance at sustained success in the league?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What a load of crap this is. Oh My God.

Rookie QB development 101 as taught by Remy

1) give the rookie QB a shit O-line, as this will help him to develop a quick release. Pray to god someone is actually open in that 2 seconds he has to throw the ball, and does not get killed in the process.

Pure Remy gold.

You are being stupid.

I said your premise is wrong that a good OL means he would get rid of the ball quicker.

A good OL helps to prevent happy feet and allows more of the offense to be run particularly longer developing plays.

So a good OL is obviously ideal but not for the reason you stated. It is actually the opposite. A good OL allows him yo hang in the pocket longer on 7 step drops and deeper plays.

Wait......
What?
I am quite sure Remy told me in a thread that rookies are not signed until after June 1

We were talking about June 1 cuts. They could have waited until after June 1 when DT and Cohen's cuts would go into effect. They didnt have too as they have 15m in cap left still.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Simple question, Does having talent around him increase a rookies chance at sustained success in the league?

No it improves their production. A QB will have success based on their ability to learn and execute what they have learned as well as how well the coaching and scheme fit their abilities.

You can tell if a Tom Brady or Josh Allen are the real deal even if they didnt have an elite team around offensively based on their ability to process and execute the O.

What elite talent does is turn those 3600 yards and 25 TD seasons into 4500 yards and 40 TD seasons.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
How exactly does Poles "believe in Fields without basically forcing that belief"? By doing nothing? That's doesn't make sense to me.

Look, Poles could get lucky and Fields could turn out to be a stud without the supporting cast, but it's still not a smart move imo. You also can't believe that players aren't always going to "rise above" regardless of their situation. As a GM or coach, you have to think that you play a part in developing a player, especially QB.

There's a reason why so many people point to HOU as an example of how a team can "ruin" a QB, a la Carr.

A good D helps a young QB.

A good OC helps a young QB.

Young OL taking a step in their 2nd year helps a young QB.

We added several WRs anx OL. Remains to be seen how much they help.

People should stop exaggerating. No one knows at this point how much help Fields has received at this point. There are a lot of young guys on the OL and at Wr so ee have to see if the new regime will do a better job developing them.

And we don’t even know if our OC is good. Nice homer assumption there.

He added WRs because he literally had to. He had only ONE WR on the roster. How the fudge do you credit him for that??? Homer alert.
I can tell you how you don't help a QB, by overdrafting a tier 2 or 3 late second round talent WR and passing on a tier 1 1st round talent CB and S.

Do we all wish Chris Olave was available at #39, sure we do, and I imagine, no one more so than Ryan Poles, but he wasn't, and neither was any of the other low risk high reward WR's.

So what did Ryan Poles do? He added pieces that should facilitate Justin Fields not having to go obvious pass because they trail in games twice as many plays as while leading in a game like in 2021.

Or maybe it helps if he adds players so that the Bears aren't 27th in TO's and TO%.

Drafting defense over offense was never a predetermined plan, and given equal quality players I am pretty sure that they would go with the offensive need, but the worst thing Poles could do is draft a player at a position, just to appease the emo portion of the fanbase, while passing on a player that has much higher potential to help the teams quality of skill.

So next off season when people start doing mock drafts, rather than trying to replace Kindle Vildor, Bush, and still looking for a #1 WR to draft, they hopefully will be set at 2 out of 3 of those positions.