Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Ok but did the Bears win the ARob standoff? What happened to the GM and coach? Did we get 18m in value from him last year? Did we get compensation when he left this year?

Again this isn't about beating Quan or sticking it to him. This is about making sound decisions that are best for the time. What transpired with ARob last year was not helpful to the team. We still spent a ton of money for shitty production and he left for no compensation with the people responsible for that decision getting fired.
Th alternative to tagging him was giving him even more money and being on the hook long term. He played like ass and until proven otherwise that is who he is now. And before you say they could have let him go without tagging him, he was a 100+ / 1200+ guy, so no GM ever would st let that guy walk.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Playing time related correct? So if Tev and Borom can hold down the right side the bears roll around 7 mil to next year's cap. And if there's a break glass emergency injury/incompetence the guys already been with the team.

No currently he only counts 3m against the cap because the incentives are deemed NLTBE. So if he doesn't hit the incentives then we owe him nothing and the cap next year remains unchanged. If he hit his incentives then we would have to pay him 7.5m more for this year and the 7.5m would not hit the cap until next year.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Th alternative to tagging him was giving him even more money and being on the hook long term. He played like ass and until proven otherwise that is who he is now. And before you say they could have let him go without tagging him, he was a 100+ / 1200+ guy, so no GM ever would st let that guy walk.

Or you could trade him if you don't intend to pay him like was done with Adams, AJ Brown, Marquise Brown, Tyreek Hill, etc. Bears should have moved him in 2020 or after tagging him before they destroyed his value. Just like they should have traded Jordan Howard before 2018 instead of destroying his value then trying to move him.

This isn't that hard. Good teams figure out whether they will resign someone long term or not and if not trade the guy while his value is still high.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
People like Cowherd put out things like this because they heard something, and by putting something like this out NOW, it makes him looks smart when it HAPPENS.
Explain to me how that's different than all the basement bloggers you follow on twitter?

Wait, it IS different, they put out takes on both sides of an issue lol.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
He said Bears have 1 elite weapon for Fields. What's his idea of elite?
Is he referring to Mooney? Montgomery?

I do believe Mooney could be a mid to low #1. Montgomery is a top 10-15 back.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is he referring to Mooney? Montgomery?

I do believe Mooney could be a mid to low #1. Montgomery is a top 10-15 back.
I couldn't come close to calling either elite. My idea of elite would be top 3-5 depending on how great #4 and 5 are. His appears to be top 15-20.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Cowherd is one of the bests at his job. I personally enjoy listening to him when Im in the car. For a national radio show he is one of the better listens. Of course ge cabt be tuned into every team perfectly, but overall he is very fair and many times accurate with his assessments. Some people will hate the media no matter what though.

With that said, this sounds like some sort of tampering piece "the Cowboys are interested." If there is an offer for a WR on the table then let's assess it. But right now there are no elite WRs on the market. The 2023 FA receiver market is looking pretty dim. We have enough cap space to sign Roquan and whatever middle tier receiver comes available next offseason. Getting rid of Roquan isnt going to change these things.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Cowherd is one of the bests at his job. I personally enjoy listening to him when Im in the car. For a national radio show he is one of the better listens. Of course ge cabt be tuned into every team perfectly, but overall he is very fair and many times accurate with his assessments. Some people will hate the media no matter what though.

With that said, this sounds like some sort of tampering piece "the Cowboys are interested." If there is an offer for a WR on the table then let's assess it. But right now there are no elite WRs on the market. The 2023 FA receiver market is looking pretty dim. We have enough cap space to sign Roquan and whatever middle tier receiver comes available next offseason. Getting rid of Roquan isnt going to change these things.
Bears likely draft a WR in the 1st next year as opposed to spending $$$ on a middle of the road WR. Even the mid tier guys are going to get a lot of money

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Or you could trade him if you don't intend to pay him like was done with Adams, AJ Brown, Marquise Brown, Tyreek Hill, etc. Bears should have moved him in 2020 or after tagging him before they destroyed his value. Just like they should have traded Jordan Howard before 2018 instead of destroying his value then trying to move him.

This isn't that hard. Good teams figure out whether they will resign someone long term or not and if not trade the guy while his value is still high.
Yes, a GM and coach fighting for theirs careers are going to trade a 100/1200 WR. Brilliant.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Bears likely draft a WR in the 1st next year as opposed to spending $$$ on a middle of the road WR. Even the mid tier guys are going to get a lot of money
Exactly! I agree, even with all the cap space I dont see Poles overbidding for a middle tier receiver. Draft is the most likely route. Even a pre draft trade for a receiver is more likely to me.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I was just listening to a sportscast on my pizza delivery route to the 60-year-old stripper who has somehow survived only by eating domino’s for the past 15 years and they said that our target next draft should be a franchise left tackle to take care of fields or whomever succeeds him

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yes, a GM and coach fighting for theirs careers are going to trade a 100/1200 WR. Brilliant.

That means jack shit to me. In the same way it is not about beating Quan, it is not about saving Pace and Nagy's jobs. Once again, my comments were from the perspective of doing what is best for THE TEAM not the player, not the GM, not the coach. THE TEAM.

The best thing for THE TEAM is to sign star players longer term or get value for them in trade. It is not to try and win a pissing contest with the player or to save the job of the GM or coach. Having ARob play under the tag when he was clearly opposed to it was not good for THE TEAM. The irony is it probably also helped get Pace and Nagy fired as we probably would have been better off last year with say a 2nd round pick that we could have used on a player that actually wanted to be here.