Offseason based on things that have a chance of happening IRL

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
I've been digesting the loss and my hate turd is a couple of hours away from splashdown. While I wait, I've been plotting a path forward as I've seen some fairly outlandish views and offseason plans (sign Landon Collins, draft our way out of this, Trubisky is a bust/immune from criticism, Nagy sucks) and wanted to get something going to move on from all this childish bullshit and kicker hatred.

First up, we have to cut Parkey. That kick was his shot of redemption and Pace will have to eat the $1,150,000 cap penalty and his salary.

Secondly, can we just forget the expensive offseason signing threads? Even if we release/cut everyone apart from Rashaad Coward, who we pencil in at RT on a RFA tender, we still have only $29,482,452 in cap space. The following releases would also leave us with 37 players under contract...

Kyle Long
Dion Sims
Cody Parkey
Bobby Massie
Kevin White
Aaron Lynch
Bryce Callahan
Josh Bellamy
Pat O'Donnell
Eric Kush
Benny Cunningham
Daniel Brown
Zach Miller
Marcus Williams
Nicholas Williams
Bryan Witzmann
Patrick Scales
Adrian Amos
Michael Burton
DeAndre Houston-Carson
Ben Braunecker
Roy Robertson-Harris
Isaiah Irving

Obviously this scenario won't materialise as we will more than likely be looking to re-sign at least one or two of Callahan, Amos, RRH and Irving (RRH and Callahan for me are must re-signs). But I thought it would be useful to go scorched earth as some have suggested and see what it leaves us with. Spoiler alert, $30m is not a lot of money to fill out a roster of 37 players. I also look forward to finding a solid RG for $5m while also crossing all available fingers and toes that Coward can cut it at RT. Should be fun.

Moving to the draft we have...

Round 1: None
Round 2: None
Round 3: 24
Round 4: 24
Round 5: 24
Round 6: None
Round 7: 24, Philadelphia's pick (who knows what that ends up as)

Maybe we end up trading Howard for a 3rd but as it stands we have 5 picks plus UDFAs, so we are not picking up much more than depth with upside. We could all see them going after a RB that is a better scheme fit with more home run potential, hardly a groundbreaking idea but the value is there. Also some OL and DB depth should be incoming.

We will have to develop the players we have, find value later in the draft and try to hang on to Fangio if possible. We all applauded Pace for killing the offseason but we knew as the ink was drying on the Mack deal that we would be riding with this group of players into 2019 and 2020 come what may. Now we have taken a brutal playoff loss, seems like everyone is looking around for a magic bullet addition to solve our remaining problems. Nope. There is none.

We have to trust in the coaches we manage to keep to get the best out of a group of young ascending players. We have to hope we see more development from Mitch. We have to hope Nagy develops as a playcaller. We have to hope we manage to stay healthy again. We will watch as rivals draft exciting talents and make free agent splashes and will have to hold our nerve as Pace contacts UDFAs and tries to find some more gold in the later rounds.

Now, I think I feel something moving down there, could be a while.

CaptnSUG

BANNED
Liked Posts:
They better well cut Chase Daniel, he who cannot even take a fucking snap, to save that $3m. If they cut Long but not Daniel I'll be pretty upset. ERFA's like Coward and Irving will be back at $1.2m and they should give Roy Robertson-Harris the second round tender at $2.1m.

I would not bring back any of the UFA's except maybe Bryan Witzmann. I like Adrian Amos a lot but if the Bears are going spend $7-8m a year on a safety they may as well spending a couple million more and get themselves a truly elite talent at the position.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
With Daniel my guess is he stays but I'm not sure I have a strong opinion either way. If they could find a 4th rounder in the draft and add them to the QB room, I'd be on board.

I don't see Amos coming back personally as that's a huge chunk of our cap gone. I think Callahan's injury record helps the Bears to try and bring him back on a somewhat friendly contract. RRH is a really good interior pass rusher and they are hard to find so I would also bring him back. After that maybe Irving has flashed enough.

You can see how the cap space starts to disappear pretty quickly.

CaptnSUG

BANNED
Liked Posts:
With Daniel my guess is he stays but I'm not sure I have a strong opinion either way. If they could find a 4th rounder in the draft and add them to the QB room, I'd be on board.

I don't see Amos coming back personally as that's a huge chunk of our cap gone. I think Callahan's injury record helps the Bears to try and bring him back on a somewhat friendly contract. RRH is a really good interior pass rusher and they are hard to find so I would also bring him back. After that maybe Irving has flashed enough.

Nate Sudfeld is an RFA and the Eagles are about to be in a position where they will need to commit ludicrous money to the QB position. Bears can pry him away easily, I doubt he gets a second-round tender.

CaptnSUG

BANNED
Liked Posts:

Yes, its actually pretty alarming. Bears are really going to need guys like Coward, Sowell (who they could very easily cut), Wims, Toliver II etc to really step up and start contributing.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Nate Sudfeld is an RFA and the Eagles are about to be in a position where they will need to commit ludicrous money to the QB position. Bears can pry him away easily, I doubt he gets a second-round tender.

Is he any good? I guess similar scheme helps. I'm open to what they do behind Trubisky and do seeing as we have a set of innovative offensive coaches it makes sense to get at least one young player with upside.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Hang on a sec. Are you in Wellington lol? I've literally just moved from there to Te Anau after 4 years!

mac bear

Liked Posts:
Nice post, top to bottom. Not much I can or really want to argue with.

I actually really love the reminder that we need to remember that we had the sexy splashy picks and hot FA grabs recently. Now, let’s reap what we’ve sown and embrace our strong coaching tree.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaptnSUG

BANNED
Liked Posts:
Is he any good? I guess similar scheme helps. I'm open to what they do behind Trubisky and do seeing as we have a set of innovative offensive coaches it makes sense to get at least one young player with upside.

I think they'll draft one but I personally dont see the point in paying Chase Daniel $6m a year to be a shitty backup. Mitch is grown up now, he doesn't need a friendly face in the QB room. After that Giants game I'd rather see Tyler Bray get snaps than Chase Daniel.

I just like Sudfeld a lot, even back from Indiana, and I think they can poach him pretty easily from the Eagles who are going to spending ludicrous money at that position next year.

Hang on a sec. Are you in Wellington lol? I've literally just moved from there to Te Anau after 4 years!

Yeaaaa buddy! Down in Island Bay.

What the hell are you doing down there? You work for DOC or something?

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
I think they'll draft one but I personally dont see the point in paying Chase Daniel $6m a year to be a shitty backup. Mitch is grown up now, he doesn't need a friendly face in the QB room. After that Giants game I'd rather see Tyler Bray get snaps than Chase Daniel.

I just like Sudfeld a lot, even back from Indiana, and I think they can poach him pretty easily from the Eagles who are going to spending ludicrous money at that position next year.

Yeaaaa buddy! Down in Island Bay.

What the hell are you doing down there? You work for DOC or something?

Yeah my wife and I work for DOC! Was in Eastbourne before. Didn't think there were any Kiwi Bears fans lol.

Cutting Daniel only saves us $3m. My guess is they do it in an emergency but would rather develop someone else and let him walk after next season.

Been pissing about with cap space all morning and there aren't many solutions!!

CaptnSUG

BANNED
Liked Posts:
Yeah my wife and I work for DOC! Was in Eastbourne before. Didn't think there were any Kiwi Bears fans lol.

Cutting Daniel only saves us $3m. My guess is they do it in an emergency but would rather develop someone else and let him walk after next season.

Been pissing about with cap space all morning and there aren't many solutions!!

Wait so you're actually an NZer? I grew up in Chicago and moved here some time ago. I'll probably wife up my Kiwi partner soon and get my passport, but that's it. What made you pick Bears?

btw- I'm considering taking a couple weeks in Feburary and doing the Pyke/Hollyford, you ever done it?

---

With cutting Daniel you gotta think also the cost of whatever replaces him. But there is a matter of him being pretty terrible on the field, if Mitch misses a game or two next year I dont think the Bears stand much of a chance with Daniel and next year's schedule doesn't put them in a place where they can just throw away wins. Tough decisions coming up.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Wait so you're actually an NZer? I grew up in Chicago and moved here some time ago. I'll probably wife up my Kiwi partner soon and get my passport, but that's it. What made you pick Bears?

btw- I'm considering taking a couple weeks in Feburary and doing the Pyke/Hollyford, you ever done it?

---

With cutting Daniel you gotta think also the cost of whatever replaces him. But there is a matter of him being pretty terrible on the field, if Mitch misses a game or two next year I dont think the Bears stand much of a chance with Daniel and next year's schedule doesn't put them in a place where they can just throw away wins. Tough decisions coming up.

Even weirder I'm English. Football was huge in the UK in the 80s and as an asshole frontrunning kid I chose the Bears. Only done Kepler so far but will have to do all these with work!

Rise

Liked Posts:
Magic bullets do kind of exist. Hunt and Gould.