Offseason Junk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Theo is not going to the Mets.

Joel Sherman

@Joelsherman1

For Epstein the #Mets were not the right fit now because: 1. He wants to be part of the solution as an advisor to MLB to gettng the on-field product more appealing. 2. He wants his next job to be where he puts a group together to buy a team and start from the ground floor.
8:57 AM · Oct 6, 2021

Share this Tweet

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He can buy the Cubs.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Theo is not going to the Mets.

Joel Sherman
@Joelsherman1
For Epstein the #Mets were not the right fit now because: 1. He wants to be part of the solution as an advisor to MLB to gettng the on-field product more appealing. 2. He wants his next job to be where he puts a group together to buy a team and start from the ground floor.
8:57 AM · Oct 6, 2021

Share this Tweet
I have an idea. Theo, work for MLB in 2022, then buy out the Ricketts.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I will post Postseason Junk here as well -

My mother got rid of a TV so small it is laughable by giving it to me to get rid of. I have no use for it except one. If the Cardinals are going to win tonight, I will turn that thing on for the final out, and sail a brick through it.

OK...back to Offseason junk.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I watched a bit of the Cards game. Max is still nasty at 37.

Bauer had a You tube live up on the Yanks loss. He was in what it looked like a gym with 3 other guys in folding chairs talking.

I was like he has friends? Nah, he must have paid some losers off the streets to act like they like him.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Didn't watch the game, didn't have to.....I would have only been surprised if the out come would have been reversed. They rode a season full of cupcake opponents to a lot of wins and a playoff slot. Not their fault that the rest of their division is a mess but the fact they had a losing record vs over .500 teams was telling.

There are very few cupcakes in the playoffs.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Is Rodon still worth 5+ years and big money?

God I hope some of you had access to a television yesterday.

I don't push 1 game over a season of data.

Every guy shits the bed. The Sox shit the bed in general. No need to point out one guy.

That said I have already said that Stroman would be #1. If Jed is looking at a deep plunge and can get both him and Rodon I am not going to cry.

Shit Darvish was shat on then got injured. All said and done he rebounded and got a haul of a return.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:

Every guy shits the bed. The Sox shit the bed in general. No need to point out one guy.
This wasn't 'shitting the bed for 1 game.'

It was a god awful plan to have Rodon be a flamethrower--even though he sacrifices accuracy for hitting 99 on the gun short term, which is a bad thing to do against an opponent that destroys high fastballs in the strike zone. Especially since Rodon's velocity has been down and his slider hadn't had the same bite since he had big success pre-July.

If you wanna cop out and put that pitching gameplan on drunky La Russa or Ethan Katz, go nuts.

Look at his 7 years of data. Not certain parts with a narrow lens of 1 really good one that you really liked when he was carving people up for half a season, especially since Rodon hasn't pitched more than 5 innings in a game since July 18th. 90% of hit pitching repertoire is fastball/slider (per baseballsavant).

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Shit Darvish was shat on then got injured. All said and done he rebounded and got a haul of a return.
This is such a bad comparison.

Darvish in Texas and even LA, even going back to Japan--was an established TOR guy. Rodon was middling when he wasn't hurt or bad for 6 yeas before pitching like a TOR guy for 3 months.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

That said I have already said that Stroman would be #1. If Jed is looking at a deep plunge and can get both him and Rodon I am not going to cry.

Lmao, yes you do!

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I will put this out very plain.

All MLB teams were making glue for their pitchers. Free agent pitchers would sign with teams because they had a better product

The ban of these products was due to run suppression and the Commissioner office wants more runs yet again vs wiffs.

So pre and post ban. If you see a guy that was doing great then all of a sudden not so great. Ya he was using.

The Cubs I know had at least 1 guy that was cheating. Nance. His RPM was spiking the the ban came in and the Cubs hid him in Iowa. He came back as a sinker pitcher and got spanked.

Suspect on the 3 traded. All 3 peaked during the pre ban. Megill also is a suspect but not enough data. SP most are pillow tossers. They are better with less RPM. Old fashion rosin bag is enough grip.

So if you are a Sox fan I would look at RPM charts and see if those pitchers had a drop off at that point.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The low road is I'll take Rodon and Stroman watch them fire up the next Cubs run and watch the Sox piss away the next 5 years with a ownership that can't spend past 150M.

So na rather be the better guy.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Lmao, yes you do!
Bullshit.

That is the Yu haters that shat on that signing after Houston lit him up. Then he got injured.

We had a few here that acted like a Zero shot down his grandpappy.

After he rebounded and it was proven that Houston was sign stealing crickets.

But the same decided to cheer that he scuffled with SD.

That is why I don't push ajenda. And it has little to do about the player. It has to do about what Jed will do.

I see it as a comp.

Jed targeted Yu on low value. Carlos has deflated value right now.

But both have more to offer.

Right now is a snapshot in time. MLB players are a rollercoaster. Jed tends to target when the cart is at the bottom vs the top.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Lmao, yes you do!
I don't know why you bother. He'll never admit that he's wrong. He will instead just go off on some irrelevant tangent. What in the hell does Darvish have to do with Rodon? I'll bet that even with his injuries his average innings are higher than anything Rodon has done in any year of his career. Yu may be on the downside but Rodon is a never was....he has no downside.

BTW, did you notice how a good portion of the White Sox pitching went into freefall soon after the crackdown on loading up the ball? The guys that rely more on heat weren't affected much, but guys like Keuchel, Rodon, Bummer and to a smaller extent Giolito.... got tagged.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Bullshit.

That is the Yu haters that shat on that signing after Houston lit him up. Then he got injured.

We had a few here that acted like a Zero shot down his grandpappy.

After he rebounded and it was proven that Houston was sign stealing crickets.

But the same decided to cheer that he scuffled with SD.

That is why I don't push ajenda. And it has little to do about the player. It has to do about what Jed will do.

I see it as a comp.

Jed targeted Yu on low value. Carlos has deflated value right now.

But both have more to offer.

Right now is a snapshot in time. MLB players are a rollercoaster. Jed tends to target when the cart is at the bottom vs the top.
Actually Rodons value is inflated. He's been mediocre throughout the first 6 years of his career. He had a career year and now his value is higher than its ever been

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Previewing The 2021-22 MLB Free Agent Class: Starting Pitchers

By Steve Adams | October 18, 2021 at 10:25pm CDT

We’ve taken a position-by-position look at the upcoming free agent class at MLBTR in recent weeks. With the position players now all covered, we turn our attention to the starting pitching market.
Each winter, free agency offers a wide variety of starting pitching tiers. There are usually top-of-the-rotation stars, innings-eating types for the middle and back end, and reclamation projects who have shown well in the past but disappointed in their platform seasons. This offseason will be no exception.
Here are the rotation options slated to hit the open market in the coming weeks:
A Tier Unto Himself
  • Max Scherzer (37 years old in 2022): The most dominant pitcher of the current generation, Scherzer could potentially win a fourth Cy Young Award after tossing 179 1/3 innings of 2.46 ERA ball with a huge 34.1% strikeout rate against just a 5.2% walk rate — the third-lowest mark of his storied career. Scherzer is as dominant as he’s ever been, and the only thing that will cap his market this offseason is his age. Justin Verlander signed a two-year, $66MM extension with the Astros for these same age-37 and age-38 seasons, and Scherzer can justifiably look to eclipse that mark in both years and average annual value. He, somewhat incredibly, has a shot at a second nine-figure deal in free agency this winter. He’s ineligible to receive a qualifying offer (both due to being traded midseason and having previously rejected one in his career).
Other Top of the Market Options
  • Robbie Ray (30): Back on Aug. 13, I took a look at how the Jays had struck gold on their decision to jump the market and re-sign Ray right out of the gate in free agency. In the 10 starts he made after the time I published that piece, Ray pitched 63 innings of 2.71 ERA ball with a 36% strikeout rate, solidifying himself as the AL Cy Young favorite. Ray’s success is largely driven by heretofore unseen levels of command; after walking 12.9 percent of his opponents from 2017-20, Ray walked just 6.9 percent of the batters he faced in 2021. His 32.1% strikeout rate is the second-best of his career. His AL-best 193 1/3 innings were a career-high. Some clubs will be skeptical about his ability to maintain that vastly improved command, but Ray has positioned himself for a nine-figure contract of five or six years in length after he rejects a qualifying offer.
  • Kevin Gausman (31): Gausman’s decision to accept a qualifying offer last year looks quite shrewd. The right-hander might’ve been able to command a two- or three-year deal on the heels of his 2020 breakout, but he bet on himself with that one-year deal and improved across the board. Gausman’s 192 frames and 2.81 ERA were both sixth-best among qualified starters, while his 29.2% strikeout rate and 22.8 K-BB% both ranked eighth. Over his past 251 2/3 innings, Gausman carries a flat 3.00 ERA and 30.0% strikeout rate against a terrific 6.5% walk rate. The former No. 4 overall draft pick now looks like the ace Orioles fans might’ve hoped for when he debuted in 2013. He’s ineligible to receive another qualifying offer and will vie with Ray for the largest overall contract of any starter this offseason.
  • Marcus Stroman (30): Stroman doesn’t miss bats at the level of the other top arms on this list, but he’s one of the game’s premier ground-ball pitchers and has better command than most of the names on this list. He’s made 32 or 33 starts in four of the past six seasons, with the exceptions coming in 2020 (when he tore a calf muscle and opted out of the remainder of the season) and in 2018, when he was limited to 19 starts by shoulder fatigue. That’s the only arm injury Stroman has ever had, and the 3.48 ERA he’s compiled over his past four seasons ranks 23rd among 138 qualified starters since 2017. This year’s 3.02 ERA ranked ninth among qualified pitchers. Fielding-independent metrics have never been quite as bullish on Stroman because of his below-average strikeout rate, but his age, durability, premium command and huge ground-ball rates make him one of the market’s top starters. He can’t receive a second qualifying offer and could command a five-year deal himself this winter.
  • Carlos Rodon (29): On July 18, Rodon held the Astros to one hit with no walks and 10 strikeouts in seven shutout innings. He hasn’t topped five innings in a start since. Were it not for an ominous bout of shoulder fatigue that sent Rodon to the IL in August and ostensibly capped him at four to five innings per outing late in the year, he’d be right alongside Ray in AL Cy Young contention. The former No. 3 overall pick broke out with a 2.37 ERA and a 34.6% strikeout rate that trailed only Corbin Burnes (min. 100 innings pitched). Rodon was questionable for the ALDS but eventually pitched 2 2/3 innings in the ChiSox’ final effort against Houston. He was hitting the upper-90s with his heater, but that brief look may not be enough to allay concerns about his shoulder. Rodon could reject a qualifying offer and look to max out on a shorter multi-year deal. Alternatively, he could go the Gausman/Stroman route — accept a QO and hope a big 2022 showing positions him for a nine-figure deal next winter.