I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Cubs will not be .500 they'll be lucky to win 50 games.
Ever heard of best case scenario?! And 50 wins isn’t happening

they will win 70+ games

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Yet true... I guarantee I'll be more correct than you if the offseason continues on its current trajectory.
I will happily take the bet on over or under 50 wins. They are going to be bad, but I will take the Over.

50 is near impossible and, yes, it’s stupid to think that they’ll be “lucky to win 50”.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I am not stupid enough to call the Ricketts cheap, when they were top 5 in salary from 2016 through last year. Ans went into luxury tax more times than 25 other teams.

And I am not stupid enough to make a call that the team will win 50 games, when a team hasn't done that in a long time.
Not as long as you think.....it surprised me too. Baltimore and Detroit won 47 games back to back just a few years ago. But as bad as they might become, the Cubs will still win 65-70 games. Even the 2018 White Sox who were in rebuild overdrive, won 62 games. It's almost harder to be that bad than to be good.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

No More Negotiations Scheduled Between Owners, Players Prior To CBA Expiration​

December 1st, 2021 at 2:04pm CST • By Mark Polishuk
2:04PM: This afternoon’s session between the two sides concluded after seven minutes, according to ESPN.com’s Jeff Passan (Twitter links). There won’t be any more negotiations today, and the lockout is expected to begin this evening once the current CBA officially expires.

12:46PM: Negotiators from Major League Baseball and the MLB Players Association continue to meet this afternoon, though there is still an expectation that the league will commence with a lockout as soon as the current Collective Bargaining Agreement expires at 10:59 CT tonight. Several reports have suggested that the two sides are far enough on several core issues that there is virtually no chance that an actual deal could be reached prior to the deadline, yet that doesn’t mean progress couldn’t still be made as the baseball world enters a work stoppage and a transactions freeze.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well get er done. Tick tock and all that stuff.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Why on earth would Kershaw or Greinke sign with a cubs team that won’t be competing for a ring this season? They are both at the end of their careers, they don’t wanna play for a .500 team.

other than they would have zero interest in signing here, I could give more reasons…but there’s really no point
I mean this is a fair point. Other teams may give them a better shot to win sure. But you know as well as I do that it isn't always that simple. Both sides have to have interest. And if this is the question, why on earth would Jon Lester sign with a .500 team prior to 2015? Now I'll be honest, I tend to agree that it's less likely that Kershaw will sign with the cubs but that doesn't mean they can't try.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Well seems it's stroman for now. I don't hate the move though i'm interested to see numbers

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
stroman details

AAV is higher than I would like but tbh for a 3 year deal i have 0 issues with it because cubs don't have any where else to spend in those 3 years with young players coming up

CSF77

Liked Posts:
stroman details

AAV is higher than I would like but tbh for a 3 year deal i have 0 issues with it because cubs don't have any where else to spend in those 3 years with young players coming up

All I care about is Jed was not scared to sign a player over 5M AAV. Huge win.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well seems it's stroman for now. I don't hate the move though i'm interested to see numbers
Stroman is more of a contact guy. Going forward with young pitching they will need a econ guy to give the pen a break after the pitch counts jump and the pen is in the 6th inning. It is going to happen. Having some econ arms in there with some young stuff guys like Kilian and Marquez. Ya it will save the pen.

So Hendricks and Stroman. Miley this year. All good. Get the kids up to work with them and it is a sound foundation.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
stroman details

Gotta say I’m surprised Stroman was down for just a 3 year deal. Figured he’d want to lock in as much guaranteed money as he could with those opt outs in case he can improve his contract down the road

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
What happens if teams just keep negotiating with players during the lockout?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
What happens if teams just keep negotiating with players during the lockout?
I believe the lock out is a formality. It is being used in other sports so it keeps the ball moving vs another 1994.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I believe the lock out is a formality. It is being used in other sports so it keeps the ball moving vs another 1994.
So technically the cubs could keep going about there business and working with FAs? They'd just royally piss off other teams

CSF77

Liked Posts:

He would change the team dynamic. I would expect Jonathan Villar TBH. SH plays 3B/SS and 2B. He fills a real need going on in a questionable zone in the Cubs line up.

If they land Correa then I would start to trade out some players to make this team legit in 2022.

Hoerner gone. Sign Villar as he would push Wisdom to DH. Pick up Vogy to split the DH platoon. That point you are looking at Rodon and a mid tier closer if Alozolay is sketchy.

Do I believe it happens? Maybe. They sign Correa after Stroman it should be the next chain of events.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So technically the cubs could keep going about there business and working with FAs? They'd just royally piss off other teams

I don't know about that. Talk is talk. Most likely the union will shut down most talk until the CBA is resolved.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
I haven't seen anything about what the Cubs spent on Frazier, but minus that, they are sitting at just over 130M. Adding Correa at 35M per and they still would be well under 200M. It is kind of scary how much room they have to add players while also keeping payroll flexibility in the future.