Offseason Junk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I don't know why you bother. He'll never admit that he's wrong. He will instead just go off on some irrelevant tangent. What in the hell does Darvish have to do with Rodon? I'll bet that even with his injuries his average innings are higher than anything Rodon has done in any year of his career. Yu may be on the downside but Rodon is a never was....he has no downside.

BTW, did you notice how a good portion of the White Sox pitching went into freefall soon after the crackdown on loading up the ball? The guys that rely more on heat weren't affected much, but guys like Keuchel, Rodon, Bummer and to a smaller extent Giolito.... got tagged.

Actually Rodons value is inflated. He's been mediocre throughout the first 6 years of his career. He had a career year and now his value is higher than its ever been

Giants: Rodón’s MLB-high 15.4 strikeouts per nine innings
Rodón has been racking up strikeouts at a historic rate, as his 29 punchouts are the most by a pitcher through his first three starts with the Giants since 1901. With a blazing fastball and a wipeout slider, Rodón has the type of electric stuff that should allow him to overpower hitters all year, assuming he can stay healthy. The 29-year-old left-hander also missed a ton of bats in 2021, when he averaged a career-high 12.6 strikeouts per nine innings during his All-Star campaign with the White Sox. -- Maria Guardado

Ya looking bust...

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Giants: Rodón’s MLB-high 15.4 strikeouts per nine innings
Rodón has been racking up strikeouts at a historic rate, as his 29 punchouts are the most by a pitcher through his first three starts with the Giants since 1901. With a blazing fastball and a wipeout slider, Rodón has the type of electric stuff that should allow him to overpower hitters all year, assuming he can stay healthy. The 29-year-old left-hander also missed a ton of bats in 2021, when he averaged a career-high 12.6 strikeouts per nine innings during his All-Star campaign with the White Sox. -- Maria Guardado

Ya looking bust...
This is right up your alley, declaring victory less than a month and 3 starts for him into the season. Nevermind that everyone's issue with him has been mostly durability

CSF77

Liked Posts:
This is right up your alley, declaring victory less than a month and 3 starts for him into the season. Nevermind that everyone's issue with him has been mostly durability

Nope just kicking the hornet nest

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Correa Open To Long-Term Deal With Twins​

By Steve Adams | April 26, 2022 at 9:27am CDT

The common consensus when Carlos Correa signed a surprising three-year, $105.3MM contract with the Twins was that he’d take his opt-out clause at the end of this season and re-enter the market. However, Correa recently spoke with Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic and revealed that he’s already expressed to Twins president of baseball operations Derek Falvey, general manager Thad Levine and manager Rocco Baldelli that he would “love” to sign a longer-term deal.
“I told ‘em, ’Hey guys, I know I have the opt-outs in the contract. But I really like it here,'” Correa tells Rosenthal. “I love the people here. I love the way I’m treated here. … I would love to have a long-term relationship here if that’s what you guys would like.” Correa adds that his wife already feels “right at home” in Minnesota and that he’s been energized by his teammates, specifically lauding the scalding-hot Byron Buxton as well as the overall win-now temperament throughout the clubhouse.
On the one hand, it’s hardly a surprise to see Correa express a willingness to sign a lengthy contract. He hit the open market this past offseason seeking a contract of at least 10 years in length and only pivoted to the three-year, opt-out-laden deal with the Twins after he did not find a longer-term deal to his liking. Any player would surely “love” to sign a long-term deal of the magnitude Correa sought in free agency. (The Tigers reportedly offered Correa a 10-year deal worth $275MM with multiple opt-out opportunities, but he was said to be seeking a deal north of $330MM.)
On the other hand, it’s also common for players to decline to discuss contractual matters during the season. We regularly see players who are on the cusp of free agency set Opening Day deadlines for a new contract because they prefer not to negotiate during the season. As a newly signed free agent, Correa is in a different boat than, say, Aaron Judge, who did not agree to terms on a long-term deal with the Yankees before his own Opening Day deadline, but it’s nevertheless of at least some note that Correa is publicly expressing a desire to stay put. He’d hardly have been the first player to simply decline to discuss the matter when asked and instead say he’ll think about that after the season.
From the Twins’ side of things, Falvey declined to delve into specifics but said that even when signing Correa to his three-year deal, the organization’s hope was that the shortstop would find Minnesota to his liking and hope to stay long-term. “I certainly expect we’ll maintain open lines of communication with both Carlos and [agent Scott Boras],” Falvey added.
There’s no getting around the fact that Correa is out to a poor start. It’s only 59 plate appearances, but Correa is hitting .192/.288/.288 with a homer and a pair of doubles. Statcast feels he’s been unlucky based on his huge 92.4 mph average exit velocity and a sky-high 58.8% hard-hit rate, but that “bad luck” only applies when Correa actually puts the ball in play. He’s doing that less often than ever, with a 30.5% strikeout rate that’s nearly 10 percentage points higher than his career 20.7% mark. Statcast credits him for an “expected” .230 average and .394 slugging percentage, but he’ll need to curb the strikeouts if he’s to return to his prior levels of production.
For his part, Correa made clear that he’s not concerned. The former Rookie of the Year, All-Star and 2021 Platinum Glove winner said he’s struggled to find his swing in April in the past, and a look at his career splits does reflect, to an extent, that he’s been more productive in subsequent months. That said, Correa has a career 123 wRC+ in March/April that towers over his current 77. Baldelli noted that Correa received fewer than half the spring plate appearances he might’ve in a normal year — a reflection both of the truncated Spring Training schedule and Correa’s own late signing.
Assuming Correa eventually rounds into form at the plate and that the Twins indeed have a desire to keep him longer-term — Baldelli raved to Rosenthal about Correa’s presence in the clubhouse and leadership traits — the question becomes one of whether they can comfortably make such a commitment. Signing Correa would likely require an unprecedented commitment for the franchise, given that the largest contract ever issued by the Twins was Joe Mauer’s eight-year, $184MM pact. That contract came with a unique set of circumstances, as Mauer was a former No. 1 overall pick and St. Paul native who’d just been named American League MVP in 2009 — the final season at the Metrodome before the Twins moved into a new, largely publicly funded stadium, Target Field. The public relations impact of letting Mauer walk as a free agent after the 2010 season would’ve been overwhelming; that’s not the case with Correa, whom many fans expect to opt out and sign elsewhere next winter.
Still, you’d be hard-pressed to claim the Twins “can’t afford” to keep Correa, if the front office and Boras can agree on a structure. Minnesota’s payroll this season is a franchise-record $138MM, per Roster Resource’s Jason Martinez, and the Twins only have $76MM in guarantees on next year’s books. Correa’s $35.1MM salary accounts for nearly half that sum. By 2024, the Twins have just $54.5MM on the books — again, with Correa representing a major portion of that figure. Beginning in 2025, the Twins only have a bit more than $18MM on the books.
Over the long-term, Buxton’s seven-year, $100MM contract is the only major commitment the Twins have. He’ll earn a $15MM base salary on that deal from 2023-28, though that figure can jump by as much as $10.5MM annually based on total plate appearances and MVP voting. Still, even in a year where Buxton were to max out that figure, he’d only do so by staying healthy and winning an MVP Award. The Twins would happily pay $25.5MM in that scenario, and even pairing that with a hefty annual salary for Correa, the combined $55-60MM would be a fraction of the team’s overall spending. It doesn’t seem likely that the Twins will be running $200MM payrolls anytime soon, but it’s also reasonable to project some modest increases over this year’s $138MM mark.
The Twins would need to fill out the roster beyond those two players, of course, but they’re bullish on a crop of young pitching headlined by Opening Day starter Joe Ryan, to say nothing of young arms like Bailey Ober, Josh Winder and Jhoan Duran, all of whom are already in the big leagues. Prospects Jordan Balazovic, Simeon Woods Richardson, Louie Varland, Cole Sands and others aren’t expected to be far behind, and slugging infielder Jose Miranda ought to make his MLB debut at some point in 2022 as well. Signing Correa would perhaps block top infield prospects Royce Lewis and Austin Martin, but both have experience playing multiple positions. Not all of those players will emerge as contributors, but it’s easier to stomach a long-term, near-market-value deal when expecting an influx of cost-controlled young talent to help fill out the roster.
It’s still difficult to imagine the Twins ponying up with this kind of commitment, if only for the simple reason that they’ve just never spent at this level in the past. There’s a strong likelihood Correa will be back on the market after the season. That said, it was also difficult to imagine the Twins handing out a $35.1MM annual salary to Correa in the first place, and that contract at least changed some expectations and made a larger deal seem slightly more plausible. It’d still register as a surprise, but it’s easier to take the “never say never” tack now that the Twins have already pulled off one Correa stunner.
Fans intrigued by the situation will want to check out Rosenthal’s column in full, as it’s rife with detailed quotes from each of Correa, Falvey, Baldelli and Boras regarding the possibility of Correa extending his stay in Minnesota. There’s no indication that talks will happen anytime soon, but the Twins were active on the in-season extension front last year when trying to hammer out Buxton’s long-term deal prior to the trade deadline. A larger deal for Correa could be even more complicated, but all parties seem open to the idea.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Latest On Wade Miley

By Mark Polishuk | April 24, 2022 at 10:27pm CDT

• Wade Miley has yet to make his Cubs debut due to left elbow inflammation that arose during Spring Training, but the veteran southpaw is getting closer to pitching. 670 The Score’s Bruce Levine (Twitter link) was among those to report that Miley came out of a 50-pitch side session on Saturday with no issues, and Miley is now lined up to throw a live batting practice session on Wednesday. Miley is loosely scheduled to be activated off the 10-day IL sometime in May, though a more exact date will be known as the left-hander takes more steps in the recovery process.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Amazing. Who here said that Rodon was a bad pitcher? I'd like to see where someone said that. The guy is hurt every year....the Sox are a contender and need starting pitchers. He was with them for years so no one knows him better....STILL....they chose not to bring him back. I don't give a shit how good a player is.....if he spends a boatload of time on IR, he is a bad investment. Given that our guy in SD is wrong at about a 90% clip on anything baseball....we should be seeing Rodon hitting the IR in pretty short order. And that's too bad...he seems like a real good guy and I would get a huge laugh should he lead Frisco to the WS while the Sox come up short again because they lacked starting pitching.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Amazing. Who here said that Rodon was a bad pitcher? I'd like to see where someone said that. The guy is hurt every year....the Sox are a contender and need starting pitchers. He was with them for years so no one knows him better....STILL....they chose not to bring him back. I don't give a shit how good a player is.....if he spends a boatload of time on IR, he is a bad investment. Given that our guy in SD is wrong at about a 90% clip on anything baseball....we should be seeing Rodon hitting the IR in pretty short order. And that's too bad...he seems like a real good guy and I would get a huge laugh should he lead Frisco to the WS while the Sox come up short again because they lacked starting pitching.

Your quote

BTW, did you notice how a good portion of the White Sox pitching went into freefall soon after the crackdown on loading up the ball? The guys that rely more on heat weren't affected much, but guys like Keuchel, Rodon, Bummer and to a smaller extent Giolito.... got tagged

You do realize that pitchers get their hands checked every inning now right? And his numbers have exceeded tast years.

All I ever said about him was he gassed out and the work load got to him after years of interrupted seasons. So this was pretty natural for him to flame out when he got to his limits.

But no every one here was screaming IL case and going ape shit.

All I posted was he was going through a natural thing and even runners have to break their limits to progress. It is a natural progression.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But I get it

Jed doesn't want to pay market value for anything.

Boras only accepts market value deals.

Jed balked on Rodon and Correa as they are Boras guys.

Jed balked on Bryant another Boras guy

see the trend.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Your quote

BTW, did you notice how a good portion of the White Sox pitching went into freefall soon after the crackdown on loading up the ball? The guys that rely more on heat weren't affected much, but guys like Keuchel, Rodon, Bummer and to a smaller extent Giolito.... got tagged

You do realize that pitchers get their hands checked every inning now right? And his numbers have exceeded tast years.

All I ever said about him was he gassed out and the work load got to him after years of interrupted seasons. So this was pretty natural for him to flame out when he got to his limits.

But no every one here was screaming IL case and going ape shit.

All I posted was he was going through a natural thing and even runners have to break their limits to progress. It is a natural progression.
So you took the time to dig around and that's the best you got? Still looking for the words "bad pitcher" I'll even accept "bad player"

Keep digging......lmao.

You really need to get a life.....

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So you took the time to dig around and that's the best you got? Still looking for the words "bad pitcher" I'll even accept "bad player"

Keep digging......lmao.

You really need to get a life.....

No you basically said cheater and using glue to get a numbers bump.

And I posted no his velocity and SO per 9 were as good or better. And his fingers are checked every inning. Thus your 'loading the Ball'. Is hogwash hater talk.

Keep on moving the goalposts there skipper.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No you basically said cheater and using glue to get a numbers bump.

And I posted no his velocity and SO per 9 were as good or better. And his fingers are checked every inning. Thus your 'loading the Ball'. Is hogwash hater talk.

Keep on moving the goalposts there skipper.
Me moving the goal posts? LOL, what a dork. I'm still looking for the words "bad pitcher". Not looking for cheaters. Try to stay on topic.
I know it's tough sometimes...

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Me moving the goal posts? LOL, what a dork. I'm still looking for the words "bad pitcher". Not looking for cheaters. Try to stay on topic.
I know it's tough sometimes...

Yet again... Your words not mine.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Add to it Rodon has been throwing 97 this year with our loading up. And has 15+ SO/9.

So yet again you called him a cheater. But now you are saying not a bad player.

Are you a trumper? You like to believe in false narratives and ignore facts.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Add to it Rodon has been throwing 97 this year with our loading up. And has 15+ SO/9.

So yet again you called him a cheater. But now you are saying not a bad player.

Are you a trumper? You like to believe in false narratives and ignore facts.

I insinuated he might have been cheating....never once called him a "bad pitcher". You are once again......wrong. No one said he was a bad pitcher but most of us thought the incredible amount of injuries he had would make him a bad investment for a rebuilding team. But it's impossible to make a point to a moron who insists on changing the subject matter of the conversation. Kind of like your buddy, the Donald.

Interesting that you bring up the one guy that regularly did the exact thing you are doing right now.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You didn't break anything while throwing your sippy cup across the room?

So you are saying he was a pillow tosser that cheated to add velocity. And his fall was due to having the glue taken away.

So you are saying that the White Sox found it acceptable to cheat.

Got ya.

And to be correct you never said he was a bad pitcher. But you also said that he was a pillow tosser that had to cheat to even be considered good.

But your main concern was what again? That his arm would fall off? That the pillow tosser was not able to glue his fingers anymore?

So basically you have gone from injured guy that had to fake it to be deemed good. The White Sox were all about this glue sniffing crazy and wanted all of their pillow tossers on the band wagon. And he will just blow up again because he is not a bad player but you know no glue and we might be stuck with a faker in a arm cast.

Sounds about right.

I would call it a fox special.

CNN would say guy gassed. Back on the mound. Looks like last year was not a fake or fluke. And let's see if he can build on last year.

I hope you do remember Hendricks also had innings issues in his early going. Fucking same thing. Pitchers have to build up to 180+. It is not rocket science.

But no you we t extreme. Must have been glue. His arm will fall off. He is not bad (didn't say good either or elite as he was)

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You didn't break anything while throwing your sippy cup across the room?

So you are saying he was a pillow tosser that cheated to add velocity. And his fall was due to having the glue taken away.

So you are saying that the White Sox found it acceptable to cheat.

Got ya.

And to be correct you never said he was a bad pitcher. But you also said that he was a pillow tosser that had to cheat to even be considered good.

But your main concern was what again? That his arm would fall off? That the pillow tosser was not able to glue his fingers anymore?

So basically you have gone from injured guy that had to fake it to be deemed good. The White Sox were all about this glue sniffing crazy and wanted all of their pillow tossers on the band wagon. And he will just blow up again because he is not a bad player but you know no glue and we might be stuck with a faker in a arm cast.

Sounds about right.

I would call it a fox special.

CNN would say guy gassed. Back on the mound. Looks like last year was not a fake or fluke. And let's see if he can build on last year.

I hope you do remember Hendricks also had innings issues in his early going. Fucking same thing. Pitchers have to build up to 180+. It is not rocket science.

But no you we t extreme. Must have been glue. His arm will fall off. He is not bad (didn't say good either or elite as he was)

You sound upset, Donald. Still not on topic with even more dumbass spelling errors than normal.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Yep not bad. Must be hiding the glue pretty good because he was never good.