Offseason Junk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Lol hendricks is the exact type of pitcher that should age well

perhaps being on a bad 71 win team for the first time(I believe) had something to do with the bad numbers. Some guys play better when there is something to play for…and Kyle is probably one of those type of guys, seeing as how all he’s known as a cub is winning baseball. Perhaps a porous defense up the middle didn’t help any either.

Not really. His history is fastball dips below 89 and his change up stays 80 he gets hammered.

It is not velocity. It is speed difference. 10 MPH is affects timing. 6 MPH it really doesn't.

Instead of mouthing off on shit that you have no clue about why don't you look back at the times that he has struggled. I've seen them live myself watching how he got shelled with a 86MPH fastball

Every time it is the same thing. He loses 2-3 MPH and he becomes very hittable.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Historically speaking with a velocity drop the guys that prove to be successful go to a Hammer primary. Maddux suffered as he aged. Many forget his 2nd tour how he was a 4.50 ERA pitcher with a mid 80 fastball. In his prime me his fastball was 91-92. He survived the end of his career due to his pitch mastery. He never had a breaking pitch worth a shit. He was a 2 pitch master.

Kyle is going into this lacking 3 MPH that Greg had. So he was always a borderline case that would become worrisome as he lost velocity.

He has a curve and a cutter. To me he is at a point that he needs to switch up to keep relavent.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Historically speaking with a velocity drop the guys that prove to be successful go to a Hammer primary. Maddux suffered as he aged. Many forget his 2nd tour how he was a 4.50 ERA pitcher with a mid 80 fastball. In his prime me his fastball was 91-92. He survived the end of his career due to his pitch mastery. He never had a breaking pitch worth a shit. He was a 2 pitch master.

Kyle is going into this lacking 3 MPH that Greg had. So he was always a borderline case that would become worrisome as he lost velocity.

He has a curve and a cutter. To me he is at a point that he needs to switch up to keep relavent.
Maddux was 38 when he came back to the cubs and had a 4.02 ERA. Kyle is 31 years old. Can you make a worse comparison??

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I'm sure Kyle will make that switch immediately after he reads this awesome post.

:obama:

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The emphasis on seeing it live, though. ?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Beiber is under contract for 2 more arb years.

No clue why they'd trade a cost-controlled ace for that package at this point, now if 2022 were a contract year for him and the Indians know he's not sticking around, I think that package puts you in the conversation--maybe not the one that gets him.

If you're Cleveland, you don't even entertain the offer unless Brennan Davis is part of the return. I think this deal gets you someone like German Marquez in return.

If we're talking offseason trades, I dont see the cubs winning a big trade. Just have a weird feeling this is the offseason Jed finally gets Whit Merrifield.

I would be fine with him.

Clevenger to the pads would be the gauge on Beiber. They went for 6 guys and spend 3 guys in the deal. They didn't target the Pads #1 either. Or 2 for that matter.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm sure Kyle will make that switch immediately after he reads this awesome post.

:obama:

Good to know. As long as Kyle is the best on staff the Cubs will continue to be the worst non tanker in history.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The emphasis on seeing it live, though. ?

SD 2017. Right before he hit the DL that year. Fastball was sitting 86 and he got wrecked at that game. He rebounded post DL when his fastball uptecked to 89 again.

I've seen him at Mesa in spring training also. Pitched a nice game vs the Diamondbacks.

So ya I've followed him for a bit as I was a Maddux fan boy and really wanted to see if Kyle was legit or not. The velocity of his sinker has been a issue with him. He has gone more to his curve recently so that helps.

But you look at pitchers that lose velocity they go to the curve more. A curve pitched for a strike is a huge equalizer for a pitcher.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
SD 2017. Right before he hit the DL that year. Fastball was sitting 86 and he got wrecked at that game. He rebounded post DL when his fastball uptecked to 89 again.

I've seen him at Mesa in spring training also. Pitched a nice game vs the Diamondbacks.

So ya I've followed him for a bit as I was a Maddux fan boy and really wanted to see if Kyle was legit or not. The velocity of his sinker has been a issue with him. He has gone more to his curve recently so that helps.

But you look at pitchers that lose velocity they go to the curve more. A curve pitched for a strike is a huge equalizer for a pitcher.
Most of us have followed Hendricks entire career. Not sure what makes you think your assessment of him is more valuable than anyone elses

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The CBA (or lack thereof) could throw the sport’s post-December 1 calendar into a state of flux. There’s as much uncertainty about how this offseason will progress as any in recent history, then, but here’s how things are currently scheduled to pan out:

November 3: The beginning of a five-day period where teams and players must decide whether to exercise or decline contract options and opt-out clauses for the 2022 season. Eligible free agents cannot sign with anyone but their current team for five more days.

November 7, 4:00 pm CST: The deadline for teams to issue qualifying offers (one-year, $18.4MM contracts) to eligible free agents. For a breakdown of the draft choices teams would forfeit by signing a qualified free agent, see here.

November 8: Free agency officially opens.

November 8-11: General managers’ meetings, hosted in Carlsbad, California.

November 17: Deadline for players tagged with a qualifying offer to accept or reject the QO.

November 19: Deadline for teams to add players to the 40-man roster to keep them from selection in the Rule 5 draft.

December 1, 11:59 pm: Expiration of the current collective bargaining agreement. If MLB and the MLBPA do not agree on a new CBA by then, the league may institute a lockout that freezes teams’ ability to make transactions until negotiations are resolved.

December 2: The deadline for teams to tender contracts to arbitration-eligible players.

December 6-9: Winter meetings scheduled to take place in Orlando, Florida.

December 8: Rule 5 draft.

December 15: Conclusion of the 2020-21 international amateur signing period. Typically scheduled to run from July through June, the 2020-21 and 2021-22 international signing periods were delayed to run from January through December as part of MLB’s COVID-19 rules changes.

January 14, 2022: Date for teams and arbitration-eligible players to exchange filing figures. Teams and players are still free to settle and avoid arbitration after this date, although many clubs elect to proceed with a “file-and-trial” strategy — essentially deciding to proceed to a hearing with any players with whom a settlement is not reached by then.

January 15, 2022: The scheduled start of the 2021-22 international amateur signing period. The 2021-22 period is scheduled to run through December 15, 2022.

February 26, 2022: First games of Spring Training.

March 31, 2022: Opening Day.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Most of us have followed Hendricks entire career. Not sure what makes you think your assessment of him is more valuable than anyone elses

I pointed out a trend. If you don't want to acknowledge it that is fine.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
December 1, 11:59 pm: Expiration of the current collective bargaining agreement. If MLB and the MLBPA do not agree on a new CBA by then, the league may institute a lockout that freezes teams’ ability to make transactions until negotiations are resolved.

That is the kicker. This could shut down everything until Jan.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Didn’t someone say Castellanos wouldn’t be available this offseason? That he wouldn’t opt out of his contract?

well…he’s now officially a FA, as he has opted out of his contract lol

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Nick Castellanos To Exercise Opt-Out Clause

By Steve Adams | November 4, 2021 at 7:15am CDT

Reds right fielder Nick Castellanos has exercised the opt-out clause in his contract and will reenter the free agent market, reports MLB Network’s Jon Heyman (Twitter link). The Scott Boras client had two years and $34MM remaining on his contract but will seek a lengthier contract (and a heftier annual value) on the open market. The Reds can, and surely will, extend an $18.4MM qualifying offer to Castellanos — which he’s a lock to reject.
Nick Castellanos | David Kohl-USA TODAY Sports
Castellanos, 30 in March, has been a near-lock to opt out of this contract for months now. While he decided to forgo the first opt-out provision in his deal last winter after a slumping through the pandemic-shortened season’s final weeks, he’s been one of the best hitters in the National League throughout the 2021 season. Had the microfracture in his wrist suffered back in late July proven to sideline him for a longer period or weigh down his production in the final two months, perhaps it’d have been another story, but Castellanos finished the season on a blistering tear at the plate.
On the whole, Castellanos batted .309/.362/.576 this season, complementing a career-high 34 home runs with 38 doubles and a triple en route to a stout 140 wRC+ on the season. That includes a .294/.335/.606 slash and 14 round-trippers in his final 176 plate appearances, which surely allayed any concern that the July wrist injury would linger and impact his production at the dish.
On the defensive end of the equation, Castellanos once again had his share of struggles. Virtually any defensive metric will paint him as below average in right field, and that’s been an issue for him dating back to his days as a third baseman in Detroit. Defensive Runs Saved and Outs Above Average both pegged Castellanos at -7 in 2021 — which is actually an improvement over recent seasons — and he checked in with a -1.5 Ultimate Zone Rating. Some may be surprised to see that Castellanos actually has above-average sprint speed (65th percentile among MLB position players), but Statcast also puts him in just the seventh percentile in terms of his outfield jumps.
Overall, the lack of defensive value shouldn’t matter too much. Castellanos has been a consistently above-average hitter since a breakout 2016 campaign with the Tigers, and he enjoyed the best season of his career this past season. With the widely expected advent of the designated hitter in the National League, it’s possible that he’ll be more valuable than ever before in 2022. Full-time (or even semi-regular) DH work was never an option for Castellanos in Detroit thanks to the presence of Miguel Cabrera and Victor Martinez, and he’s spent his two and a half seasons away from the Motor City in the National League. Even if he doesn’t immediately slide into full-time DH territory, Castellanos at the very least could see fewer innings in the outfield than he has in the past.
While it’s likely that Castellanos’ mind has been made up on this matter for some time, last night’s comments from Cincinnati general manager Nick Krall surely didn’t create any second thoughts. Krall didn’t outright say that the Reds are going to further slash payroll, but that was the overwhelmingly clear implication as the GM voiced a need to “align our payroll with our resources” and stressed the importance of “scouting and developing young talent from within our system.”
The Reds dumped Raisel Iglesias’ $9.125MM salary on the Angels last offseason and surprisingly non-tendered Archie Bradley just three months after trading for him. Krall’s Wednesday comments — and, to a lesser extent, yesterday’s trade of stalwart catcher Tucker Barnhart — suggest that there’s more of the same in store this winter. In fairness to the Reds, they have a ready-made, offensively superior 2022 option at catcher in Tyler Stephenson, and Barnhart’s salary was steeper than most any team would pay for a backup catcher. How the Reds handle their $10MM club option on southpaw Wade Miley will be more telling.
Suffice it to say, it seems difficult to imagine the Reds pushing to re-sign Castellanos to a new contract that figures to include both a raise on his annual value and at least double the years he previously had remaining. Castellanos is arguably (although not definitively) the best hitter on the free-agent market this winter, and if the designated hitter indeed comes to the National League, he’ll have a vast market of teams bidding on his services. A contract of at least four years in length seems certain, and it’s quite possible that even with a qualifying offer in tow, bidding could push into the five-year range.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Trevor Bauer To Decline Opt-Out For 2022 Season

By Mark Polishuk | November 3, 2021 at 5:44pm CDT

Dodgers right-hander Trevor Bauer will remain in his contract for the 2022 season, MLB Network’s Jon Heyman reports (Twitter link). Bauer had the option of exercising an opt-out clause in order to test free agency again this winter, but he will instead remain on the Dodgers’ books for a $32MM salary next season. Bauer can also opt out following next season, and if so, would take a $15MM buyout rather than a $32MM salary for 2023.
Bauer hasn’t pitched since June 28, and it remains to be seen if he will ever play Major League Baseball again in the wake of assault allegations and a temporary ex parte restraining order filed against Bauer by a woman in California in July. This led to the revelation of another protection order that a court granted a woman in Ohio against Bauer in 2020, from an alleged incident that took place in 2017. In regards to the California incident, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office is still reviewing the police evidence against Bauer to determine whether or not criminal charges will be filed.
MLB placed Bauer on paid administrative leave in early July, and the league and the MLB Players Association subsequently agreed to several extensions on that leave through the end of the World Series. As a result, Bauer has already been paid the $38MM owed to him ($28MM salary, $10MM signing bonus) through the first year of his three-year, $102MM free agent deal signed with the Dodgers last February. $20MM of that 2021 salary would’ve been paid out in deferrals had Bauer elected to opt out.
Needless to say, there was no chance Bauer was going to walk away from that $64MM, though he might yet lose at least part of that salary via suspension. As per the MLB/MLBPA Joint Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault and Child Abuse policy, the league has the ability to suspend Bauer regardless of any criminal charges that may or may not be brought against him. “The expectation around the sport is that the league would pursue a suspension of at least one year,” ESPN’s Jeff Passan wrote in August, and it seems very possible that Bauer would appeal any suspension issued, unlike other players suspended under the joint policy.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Reds Extend Qualifying Offer To Nick Castellanos

By TC Zencka | November 6, 2021 at 9:44am CDT

The Reds have unsurprisingly extended a qualifying offer to free agent outfield Nick Castellanos. Given that Castellanos just recently chose to opt out of the final two years and $34MM remaining on his contract, it should be a foregone conclusion that Castellanos will reject the one-year, $18.4MM qualifying offer and enter free agency.
The sum total of the last couple days of decisions should lead to an interesting offseason saga for Castellanos. The last time he was a free agent, it required patience for the slugger to ultimately land a uniquely structured long-term deal with the Reds. The 29-year-old ultimately only spent two years with the Reds, the latter of which produced an All-Star campaign. Still, this time around, Castellanos will be entering his age-30 season, he has a qualifying offer attached, and the CBA is set to expire in December. The stars say it will be quite some time until Castellanos knows what uniform he will don in 2022.
At the base of it all, however, is a consistent right-handed power hitter coming off a .309/.362/.576 season with 34 home runs and 100 runs driven in. The gaudy offensive numbers amounted to a 3.3 rWAR season, the most robust of Castellanos’ career. He put up 4.2 WAR by Fangraphs’ measure, which was also a career high. In short, the bat plays.
Counterpoint: Castellanos continues to put up suspect defensive numbers. His glovework in right field merited -7 defensive runs saved and -1.5 UZR, numbers that are supported by the eye test and a longstanding reputation as a subpar defender. Now, the expectation is that there will be a universal designated hitter next season, and if that comes to pass, there should be a robust market for Castellanos. Until that’s put in ink, however, his defensive deficiencies may curtail the bidding for his services.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
This is 100% purely wishful thinking on my part. As I understand it, the Cubs 2022 payroll is just under 100M . They could easily add another 85M to that. Because of what side of the plate he hits from, Seager has to be a top target. A 35M AAV wouldn't be unheard of. Now my pure fantasy part of this is going after Scherzer. 3 yrs and 105M paid out at 40/35/30. He's still producing at ACE level and knows how to take the ball in the post season. Diving a little further into the fantasy, because he's a 10/5 guy, you get clearance from Heyward and see if you can find a trade partner who will take him at 5M per remaining year. It clears the way for Davis and lets Hoerner get PAs until Davis is ready. As far as the CBT would be concerned, the Cubs would still have 20M to bolster the staff, pen, or line up.

There may be no logical reason for any of this to happen. Why I called it a fantasy. But the math at least adds up.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This is 100% purely wishful thinking on my part. As I understand it, the Cubs 2022 payroll is just under 100M . They could easily add another 85M to that. Because of what side of the plate he hits from, Seager has to be a top target. A 35M AAV wouldn't be unheard of. Now my pure fantasy part of this is going after Scherzer. 3 yrs and 105M paid out at 40/35/30. He's still producing at ACE level and knows how to take the ball in the post season. Diving a little further into the fantasy, because he's a 10/5 guy, you get clearance from Heyward and see if you can find a trade partner who will take him at 5M per remaining year. It clears the way for Davis and lets Hoerner get PAs until Davis is ready. As far as the CBT would be concerned, the Cubs would still have 20M to bolster the staff, pen, or line up.

There may be no logical reason for any of this to happen. Why I called it a fantasy. But the math at least adds up.
Ok, let's discuss your Cub fantasy. Since both Seasger and Correa are both 27....they are both fits but I'd go for Correa with his glove being far better than Seager's. Don't get me wrong, I like them both but SS & 2B are positions where you really want guys who can play some D. At second, I'd put the kid Madrigal out there. I know, I know I just said you want some D in the middle and while that's not his forte at the moment.....there's a kid named Anderson a few miles south that was a brutal defender at SS. He wanted to be a complete player, so he worked at it....he's a much improved defender now. Madrigal is only 24, he could do the same thing. You then see if Hoerner can play CF or since he's already a good defender, maybe leave him at 2B and have Madrigal DH, if it's added.

I don't like the Scherzer idea at all....the guy gets his 30 starts every year for the last 10 or so years. He's 37, he's thrown over 2500 innings and his injuries have been minimal. A lot of years, a lot of pitches.....there's just so many in any pitcher's arm. I would call him imminent. He could fall off the cliff at any time....just not a smart investment.

This is absolutely a fantasy though.....Hoyer will be dumpster diving for guys that have a chance to have a good year for the Cubs then flip them at the deadline. I get that the division looks weak at the moment but pulling a Kenny Williams Patch Job only delays the inevitable.

Last edited:

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I really don’t understand why everyone wants Seager so badly. He’s always hurt and plays mediocre defense at best, at a position where defense matters more.

he’s also averaged 3 WAR per season in his career. Good, but certainly not worth dropping 30+ mil annually to AND giving up draft pick for

Correa is by far the best SS on the market. He has averaged 5 WAR per season in his career and actually plays solid defense, aside from being a middle of the order bat. If you’re giving up draft pick compensation and 30+ mil a year to a guy, he’s the correct choice…not Seager

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I really don’t understand why everyone wants Seager so badly. He’s always hurt and plays mediocre defense at best, at a position where defense matters more.

he’s also averaged 3 WAR per season in his career. Good, but certainly not worth dropping 30+ mil annually to AND giving up draft pick for

Correa is by far the best SS on the market. He has averaged 5 WAR per season in his career and actually plays solid defense, aside from being a middle of the order bat. If you’re giving up draft pick compensation and 30+ mil a year to a guy, he’s the correct choice…not Seager
I really just want some left handed hitting as the team could be pretty right handed heavy. If I got seager maybe he plays short next year, but long term I'm moving him to 3rd or 1st. His price point is definitely a concern. I wouldn't touch him at $30 mill/yr. But I'd love to get a LH bat like him/schwarber/freeman/maybe conforto.