I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I really just want some left handed hitting as the team could be pretty right handed heavy. If I got seager maybe he plays short next year, but long term I'm moving him to 3rd or 1st. His price point is definitely a concern. I wouldn't touch him at $30 mill/yr. But I'd love to get a LH bat like him/schwarber/freeman/maybe conforto.
I can agree on the need for LH hitting. I just don’t want to go spend that kind of money on a guy just because he’s left handed lol

Schwarber/Freeman would be huge upgrades

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I can agree on the need for LH hitting. I just don’t want to go spend that kind of money on a guy just because he’s left handed lol

Schwarber/Freeman would be huge upgrades
LOL, it's not gonna happen. There won't be any $30 mill contracts coming here this year....no matter who it is. I was just shooting the breeze with @Castor76 on his Cub off season fantasy. I think we are all reading too many mailman posts. Hoyer didn't just dump all that salary for prospects just to build it all back up in the next off season. The northside will be "flip" city this year. He'll be dumpster diving looking for affordable bargins.

If you don't expect much....you won't be let down.

Last edited:

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
LOL, it's not gonna happen. There won't be any $30 mill contracts coming here this year....no matter who it is. I was just shooting the breeze with @Castor76 on his Cub off season fantasy. I think we are all reading too many mailman posts. Hoyer didn't just dump all that salary for prospects just to build it all back up in the next off season. The northside will be "flip" city this year. He'll be dumpster diving looking for affordable bargins.

I think the cubs have an interesting situation with which to play with

They can go into the offseason and just kinda see how things play out

they kinda did this already with Miley. Cincinnati waived him, cubs said…okay, we will take on that salary since we have a low payroll. And he can either contribute to a playoff run or be flipped at the deadline. That versatility is what they are looking for in a contract.

That said, with the glut of SS’s out there all looking to get paid, one or two of them will probably get left standing when the music stops. That’s where a team like the cubs could come in and say…we will give you the annual salary you want of 25-30 mil, but only for 1-3 year contract

That SS might decide it’s better to take a 1 year high $$ deal and try again next offseason. And the cubs would have another guy that can either help contribute to a winning season, or get flipped at the deadline

with the farm system the cubs have, they don’t have to worry about paying any of them for another 6+ years. So tying up some big money for the short term shouldn’t be a hinderance. It’s the long term big money contracts they need to avoid…unless it’s someone they deem “special” and young enough to justify the length of the deal

Castor76

Liked Posts:
I really don’t understand why everyone wants Seager so badly. He’s always hurt and plays mediocre defense at best, at a position where defense matters more.

he’s also averaged 3 WAR per season in his career. Good, but certainly not worth dropping 30+ mil annually to AND giving up draft pick for

Correa is by far the best SS on the market. He has averaged 5 WAR per season in his career and actually plays solid defense, aside from being a middle of the order bat. If you’re giving up draft pick compensation and 30+ mil a year to a guy, he’s the correct choice…not Seager

I had Seager because he hits lefty. Correa is great and I wouldn't cry foul if the Cubs went after him.

Castor76

Liked Posts:

I expect the Cubs to be "in on" a bunch of conversations but probably no major acquisitions except they might make one splash signing as a symbol of hope. Otherwise, I'm thinking mostly one season flippables/no long term commitments.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I've read Yusei Kikuchi (31) and Steven Matz (31) are the most likely targets. Which means More arms going to the pen this year.

I think that I agree with the vibe here. 30+M only Correa.

Normally I would say Jed will rent a wreck this year. But with the new GM I'll hold judgement. He may end up turning heads this off season.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Several High-End Free Agents Could Sign Before CBA Expires

By Steve Adams | November 12, 2021 at 10:15am CDT

The 2021-22 offseason is unlike any we’ve seen in recent history, with players and teams somewhat flying blind as the expiration of the 2016-21 collective bargaining agreement looms at 11:59pm ET on Dec. 1. Because of the widely expected lockout and uncertainty as to what changes will be made to key economic facets of Major League Baseball — the luxury tax, the arbitration system, the potential implementation of a salary floor — there’s been fairly prevalent speculation that the majority of major free-agent dealings would only occur after a lockout has been resolved.
That’s not necessarily the case, ESPN’s Jeff Passan writes in his takeaway column from this week’s GM Meetings in California. To the contrary, there’s a sense that top free agents Corey Seager, Marcus Semien and a few prominent starting pitchers could come off the board while the current CBA is still in play. Similarly, some in the industry expect that at least some of the offseason’s most aggressive teams (e.g. Rangers, Tigers, Mariners, Blue Jays) could be highly active in the days and hours leading up to the current agreement’s expiration, per Passan.
To some extent, it’s only logical to see the markets for certain top-of-the-scale free agents crystallize more quickly than others. Seager is one of the top two names on the market, while Semien is coming off the best season of any of the “second tier” of shortstops — those expected to sign north of $100MM but well beneath the likely $300MM+ price range of Seager and Carlos Correa.
Demand figures to be robust for both Seager and Semien. And, with likely interest from teams that won’t have immediate luxury-tax concerns regardless of who they sign, thanks to fairly wide-open payroll outlays, not every interested team will be overly concerned with waiting to see how the luxury tax unfolds. A lack of luxury-tax concern among Texas, Detroit, Seattle and Toronto surely dovetails with expectations that they could act more quickly than, say, the Yankees or Dodgers — both of whom will be keenly interested in the particulars of a restructured competitive balance tax.
Both Seager and Semien are of interest to the Yankees, Passan reemphasizes, though that much is well known by this point. Yankees GM Brian Cashman effectively kicked off the team’s offseason by announcing his desire to improve at shortstop, and it’d frankly be more surprising to learn that the Yanks were “out” on any one of the top free-agent shortstops than to hear they’re still in the mix.
There’s certainly no guarantee that either Seager or Semien will sign prior to Dec. 1, but it’s also in many ways sensible for both teams and players to want to strike early. Assuming there is indeed a lockout, MLB free agency would resume at a rather frenzied pace. There’d be obvious benefit to teams having cost certainty and avoiding some of that chaos by checking a big-ticket item off the list early in the process. From the players’ vantage point, there has to be concern about getting lost in the shuffle — particularly among second- or third-tier names. Furthermore, as is the case every winter, free agents tend to prefer the certainty of knowing where they (and their families) will be for the foreseeable future.
Even from an agency standpoint, early deals make some sense, if the demand is sufficient enough to drum up a palatable offer. For instance, the Boras Corporation represents both Seager and Semien, but they’ll also be negotiating deals for Max Scherzer, Nick Castellanos, Michael Conforto, Carlos Rodon, Yusei Kikuchi and James Paxton, among others. It’s a lot to juggle in what would be a condensed free-agent period, post-lockout. It’s easy to see the appeal of an early contract or two for any agency with a lengthy client list this winter.
To this point, there’s been little in the way of actual activity, save for a trio of one-year deals for Andrew Heaney (Dodgers), T.J. McFarland (Cardinals) and Joely Rodriguez (Yankees). Teams and agencies acting with a bit of increased urgency, however, carries the potential for a perhaps brief flurry of deals in the next three weeks, even if the prevailing wisdom is that the majority of the offseason’s heavy lifting will come in the wake of, and not in advance of, a lockout and subsequent transaction freeze.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Tigers To Sign Eduardo Rodriguez

By Anthony Franco | November 15, 2021 at 8:01am CDT

8:01 am: The deal also contains a no-trade clause, reports Evan Petzold of the Detroit Free Press (Twitter links). Petzold adds that the contract contains $3MM in possible incentives.
7:52 am: It’s a $77MM guarantee, according to Heyman, who adds that Rodríguez will have the option to opt out after 2023. The deal also contains additional incentives.
7:48 am: The contract also contains at least one opt-out clause, reports Joel Sherman of the New York Post (Twitter link). Jeff Passan of ESPN reports the deal’s total guarantee landing between $77MM and $80MM.
7:47 am: Rodríguez and the Tigers are in agreement on a five-year deal, reports Jon Heyman of the MLB Network (on Twitter).
7:35 am: The Tigers are nearing agreement on a multi-year contract with free agent left-hander Eduardo Rodríguez, reports Cody Stavenhagen of the Athletic (Twitter link). Should a deal come together, it’d mark the most significant move of the first few weeks of the offseason. Rodríguez, who recently rejected a qualifying offer from the Red Sox, ranked fourteenth on MLBTR’s Top 50 free agents, with a contract guarantee projected at $70MM over five years.
Rodríguez was seemingly in strong demand, with the Blue Jays, Angels and incumbent Red Sox among the other clubs known to have interest in his services. (Boston presented him with a multi-year offer in addition to the one-year qualifying offer). It seems Detroit will wind up topping the bidding, in the process installing a mid-rotation arm to its fairly young starting staff. That was known to be a priority for the Tigers’ front office, with general manager Al Avila frankly telling reporters after the season that adding an established starter “would be a necessity” for the club.
Detroit has also been tied to right-handers Jon Gray and Anthony DeSclafani, but it seems Rodríguez will be the Tigers’ big rotation add of the offseason. He’ll serve as the veteran anchor in a starting group that also includes young, highly-touted arms like Casey Mize, Tarik Skubal and Matt Manning. With Spencer Turnbull expected to miss most or all of 2022 after undergoing a July Tommy John surgery and Matthew Boyd looking likely to be non-tendered after undergoing a flexor procedure, it’s possible Detroit looks to add additional rotation depth later in the offseason. It’s unlikely any subsequent will be as impactful or costly as Rodríguez, whose reported contract terms are quite strong.
Not only does Rodríguez top MLBTR’s projected guarantee by $7MM, he picks up the freedom to re-test the market two years from now. The southpaw won’t turn 29 years old until April 2022, meaning he’ll only be entering his age-31 campaign over 2023-24 offseason. If he pitches well over the next couple seasons, it’s easy to envision Rodríguez opting out and hitting free agency in search of another long-term deal during a winter without any sort of uncertainty about the collective bargaining agreement. Yet the contract’s five-year guarantee also gives him solid stability to guard against injuries or underperformance that could crop up over the next two years.
That Rodríguez generated such strong interest and landing this kind of commitment from the Tigers serves as the latest reminder of teams’ changing methods of player evaluation. On the surface, Rodríguez wouldn’t appear to be coming off a particularly impressive season. He racked up 157 2/3 innings over 32 appearances (31 starts), but he did so with a career-worst 4.74 ERA. Not long ago, a five-year guarantee for a pitcher coming off a platform season in which his ERA was pushing 5.00 would’ve been inconceivable.
Teams are going far beyond ERA to evaluate pitchers in 2021, though, and Rodríguez’s underlying numbers were very strong. He struck out 27.4% of opponents this past season, a mark that’s nearly five percentage points above the league average for starters. Rodríguez’s 11.7% swinging strike rate is also a bit north of the 10.9% league mark, his fourth consecutive season generating whiffs at greater than an 11% clip when healthy.
More to come.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Makes me think that the Tigers will be the big winners this offseason. This is a deal for a 28 YO lefty that was a CY young contender in 2019. The Tigers are also in on SS so yet again driving up the market.

supertack

Liked Posts:

I think this is spot on. They aint spending anything substantial especially before the CBA gets sorted out. It's kinda a shitty situation considering the depth of this years FA class....

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Honestly Gray is a no brainer to me. If his production only slightly increases by getting out of Colorado then he is worth the contract, but he seems like a prime candidate to put it all together and be a bargain. He'd leave money to add another big arm too. Plus not having the qualifying offer is just an added bonus

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
That off season plan is a complete turn around. We become fairly competitive and aren't forced to bring up guys before they are ready. I like it for how drastic it is. Our pitching becomes much more swing and miss guys.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Honestly Gray is a no brainer to me. If his production only slightly increases by getting out of Colorado then he is worth the contract, but he seems like a prime candidate to put it all together and be a bargain. He'd leave money to add another big arm too. Plus not having the qualifying offer is just an added bonus

I'd like to see your reasoning on Gray. Home/Away ERA in 2018 was 4.91/5.34, 2019 was 3.46/4.22, 2020 was 8.39/3.77, and 2021 was 4.02/5.22. Only once in the past 4 seasons was his away ERA better than his home. What am I missing?

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I'd like to see your reasoning on Gray. Home/Away ERA in 2018 was 4.91/5.34, 2019 was 3.46/4.22, 2020 was 8.39/3.77, and 2021 was 4.02/5.22. Only once in the past 4 seasons was his away ERA better than his home. What am I missing?
Wrigley becomes his home!!! Lol

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I really don’t understand why everyone wants Seager so badly. He’s always hurt and plays mediocre defense at best, at a position where defense matters more.

he’s also averaged 3 WAR per season in his career. Good, but certainly not worth dropping 30+ mil annually to AND giving up draft pick for

Correa is by far the best SS on the market. He has averaged 5 WAR per season in his career and actually plays solid defense, aside from being a middle of the order bat. If you’re giving up draft pick compensation and 30+ mil a year to a guy, he’s the correct choice…not Seager
Well, the thing about Seager is when healthy is a top left handed bat that walks and has a alot of power going into prime years. If he was to sign, he wouldnt play SS through the whole contract. No way. He is 6'4 and guys 6'4 or more dont stay at SS past 30. He would move most likely to third which fits the Cubs timeline with the plethora of SS prospects the Cubs have in the pipeline.

I dont believe Correa stays at SS for more than a couple of more years either due to size. Pretty sure only like Cal Ripken was able to stay at short at that size past 30. It just doesnt happen.

They are both very good players. I would take either one in a heartbeat and their contract isnt going to hamstring the Cubs at all.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
You did know he's pitched in Wrigley only once going back through 2016? I still would love to know what you see in him.
Change of scenery is always good. His stuff is there and he has the build to last a long time. You act like he has been a shit pitcher his whole career. He has been up and down, but power pitchers like him usually figure stuff out later in their careers. I would take Jon Gray in a heartbeat cause a couple of adjustments could turn him into a top notch pitcher.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
You did know he's pitched in Wrigley only once going back through 2016? I still would love to know what you see in him.
Sarcasm is lost on you it seems

I never said anything one way or another about gray