Offseason Junk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I don't know how I feel about Gray to be honest. Seeing how the Cubs are stacked up on Lefties in the system and RH starters are suspect at best it is not a bad idea to go there.

Meyers makes a 1 year bridge to Marquez and Wicks. Herz makes a 3rd lefty that could end up fighting for a slot.

So I would be fine with Gray at a discounted price. A guy like him makes a solid RHP to split up the lefties in a few years.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

The Cubs Have Payroll Flexibility, But Is Now The Time To Use It?​

By Tim Dierkes | November 9, 2021 at 3:10pm CDT

The Cubs traded away their core rather than extend them, and now the club is light on financial commitments as well as good MLB players. Is this winter the time to strike?
Guaranteed Contracts
  • Jason Heyward, RF: $44MM through 2023
  • Kyle Hendricks, SP: $29.5MM through 2023. Includes $16MM club option for 2024
  • Wade Miley, SP: $10MM through 2022
  • David Bote, 2B/3B: $13MM through 2024. Includes $7MM club option for 2025 and $7.6MM club option for ’26
Arbitration-Eligible Players (projections from MLBTR contributor Matt Swartz)
Option Decisions
  • Wade Miley, SP: exercised $10MM club option after claiming off waivers from Reds
Free Agents
When the dust had settled after the July deadline, the Cubs had completed eight trades. Of the nine players sent packing, seven are currently free agents, Trevor Williams might be non-tendered by the Mets, and the White Sox picked up Craig Kimbrel’s option. Seeing Anthony Rizzo, Kris Bryant, and Javier Baez in different uniforms marked the end of an era, and now the Cubs have a bunch of extra prospects and a clean financial slate. They’ve also got a new second-in command in the front office behind Jed Hoyer in Carter Hawkins, hired from Cleveland. The Cubs went on to hire Ehsan Bokhari from the Astros as assistant GM and Greg Brown from the Rays as the new hitting coach. Furthermore, longtime executive Jason McLeod is leaving, and Randy Bush is moving into an advisory role.

Hoyer said in late September, “We plan to be really active in free agency.” Trying to decode GM-speak is always difficult, but Hoyer elaborated a few weeks later, saying, “We have money to spend this winter. But it’s really important that we do that in an intelligent way.” Furthermore, “We need to be active in a way that we feel like we’re getting the right value for the dollars we’re spending, and we’re also making sure that we’re not hindering ourselves going forward with expenditures for right now.” Hoyer went on to caution against “winning the offseason.”

MLBTR projected its top 12 free agents to each receive contracts of at least five years, with the exception of record-setting three-year deal for Max Scherzer. When I try to translate spending money “intelligently” and “not hindering ourselves going forward,” I take it to mean that the Cubs won’t sign any of those top dozen or so free agents. Hoyer has stated that the Cubs “have a lot of holes to fill on this roster,” which is a euphemism for a lack of present MLB talent. The Cubs will shop at the top end of the free agent market again, but I don’t think it will be this winter.

So what will the Cubs do? Hoyer made it clear that adding pitchers, particularly those with strikeout ability, is the team’s top priority. So why, then, did the club commit $10MM to 35-year-old lefty Wade Miley, who the payroll-cutting Reds cast off after a fine season? Miley possesses a 90 mile per hour fastball and the sixth-worst strikeout rate in baseball this year among those with at least 160 innings. The answer is that Miley is still a solid pitcher, the only cost was his salary, and it’s a one-year commitment. For a team with no rotation locks beyond fellow soft-tosser Kyle Hendricks, the Cubs took the opportunity that fell into their lap. Miley’s best attribute is his ability to generate weak contact, as he ranked fourth in baseball in average exit velocity.

The Cubs may yet add two or three starting pitchers to the rotation. As far as potential free agent targets, let’s cross off those seeking five-plus years or an immediate shot at a championship. We’re left with Carlos Rodon, Eduardo Rodriguez, Alex Wood, Yusei Kikuchi, and Jon Gray atop the strikeout leaderboard. We believe Rodriguez may require a four-year deal, plus Boston’s qualifying offer means the Cubs would sacrifice their second-round draft pick. Noah Syndergaard comes with that same draft pick problem, if he even reaches the open market. Rolling the dice on Rodon makes some level of sense, in that the Cubs wouldn’t be hampered by a deal anywhere from one to three years, and he offers possible ace-like pitching without a $100MM commitment if the club rolls the dice on his health. Rodon is the moon shot option, while Wood, Kikuchi, Gray, and James Paxton are safer choices. Free agency also offers pitchers with decent velocity if not the strikeout rate, like Steven Matz, Garrett Richards, and Anthony DeSclafani.

The trade market is also an option for the Cubs, who could offer one year of Willson Contreras, deal away some of their prospect capital, or just take on an unwanted contract. Strikeout pitchers who could be available in trade include Blake Snell, Yu Darvish, Tyler Mahle, Pablo Lopez, Sonny Gray, Frankie Montas, Zac Gallen, Sean Manaea, Chris Paddack, Chris Bassitt, Caleb Smith, and Luis Castillo. The Rays’ Tyler Glasnow makes sense for the Cubs, even though he won’t be recovered from Tommy John surgery until the 2023 season. Indeed, such a trade was considered back in July. The Tigers’ Matthew Boyd, who underwent flexor tendon surgery in September, may be non-tendered by the Tigers and also makes sense for the Cubs. Back when the Cubs had some money to burn, they signed Drew Smyly to a two-year, $10MM deal off Tommy John surgery with an eye entirely on the second season.

Three of the best trade targets are on the Reds, who may be reluctant to trade a starter to the division-rival Cubs in addition to Miley. The idea of the Cubs reacquiring Darvish one year after his trade somewhat kicked off their rebuild is too amusing not to mention. After the Cubs shipped Darvish and backup catcher Victor Caratini to San Diego for four low-minors prospects and Zach Davies, Darvish went on to post a 2.44 ERA through the season’s first half. He got blasted (mostly by home runs) in the second half to the tune of a 6.65 ERA. Darvish is owed $37MM over the next two years, and the Cubs suddenly have the payroll flexibility the Padres desire. Just saying, it’d be fun to see.

The bullpen is another clear need for the Cubs, who are left with guys like Codi Heuer and Rowan Wick atop their depth chart. A few cheap free agent investments make sense here.

The Cubs’ infield is mostly set, with Willson Contreras at catcher, Frank Schwindel at first, Nick Madrigal at second, Nico Hoerner at short, and Patrick Wisdom at third. While Schwindel (age 30) and Wisdom (29) aren’t likely long-term solutions, they’ve at least earned at-bats in 2022. The Cubs also have to see if a Madrigal-Hoerner double-play combination has staying power.

With one year of control remaining on Contreras, the Cubs enter into the familiar “extend or trade” territory that led to their July sell-off. The free agent market is weak at the position, and teams like the Yankees, Guardians, Rangers, Marlins, and Giants might be seeking catching help.

Ian Happ avoided a possible non-tender by posting a 147 wRC+ over the season’s final two months. He figures to hold down left field, while Rafael Ortega can keep center field warm until the Cubs deem top prospect Brennen Davis ready. In right, there’s Jason Heyward and the $44MM owed to him over the next two years. After a brutal 68 wRC+ in 2021, the Cubs probably can’t justify a roster spot for Heyward through all of ’22 unless he manages at least league average hitting. While the Cubs could explore a potential bad contract swap, they’re in more of a position to take on dead money as a means of accumulating yet more prospects.

One outfield addition that could make sense for the Cubs is right fielder Seiya Suzuki. It’s nearly impossible to project what level of contract Suzuki will require if he’s posted by the Hiroshima Carp, but he’s only 27 years old and is one of the best players in Japan. Signing him would be akin to the club’s $30MM deal for Jorge Soler, which occurred about eight months into Jed Hoyer’s tenure with the team.

We’re about to embark on a free agency experience unlike anything we’ve seen in recent years, with a probable lockout followed by a compressed signing period. If some players fall through the cracks in that scenario, the Cubs are well-positioned to make opportunistic strikes with one-year offers. With Heyward, Hendricks, Miley, David Bote, Contreras, and Happ, the Cubs have an estimated $63.7MM committed for six players. As a team capable of sustaining a payroll in excess of $200MM, the Cubs are a sleeping giant right now. In reference to the Giants, Hoyer said, “They certainly didn’t win the offseason last year. They won the season.” While I can say with certainty the Cubs won’t win 107 games in 2022, it’s clear that the team would prefer to avoid the top end of free agency this winter, become a surprise contender, and then look to flex its financial muscle.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I thought that the trade back for Darvish to give the Pads payroll flex was amusing. Imagine trade Kohl Franklin and Chris Morel and take on Yu's contract.

Rotation Darvish, Hendricks, Miley then sift the market or go inhouse for the 4 & 5.

Darvish IMO will rebound.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
"become a surprise contender". What's he smoking?

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Worth watching the video on Kilian. He might be closer than we all think.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

But wait?! That would mean we got young guys of value in return for our old core?!

and just to help you out csf, I’m not talking about you this time. Don’t worry, bud

CSF77

Liked Posts:
"become a surprise contender". What's he smoking?

It could happen.

It would take Miley sustaining and Hendricks rebounding. Kilian taking that perfect 6 innings into Iowa, dominating there and coming up in June and giving the Cubs a strong back end arm.

It would take Ian, Frank and Patrick carrying the load again and not being flukes.

It can happen. Will it? Maybe.

A betting man will say do little and be a 81 win team. Again tank and sell off what worked yet again.

I would rather they keep what works and lock it up. Get rid of what doesn't work. Then tap into the resource well that the Cubs have and buy what is missing vs wait and see on the farm.

I am a bit old school on prospects. They have to force a decision. Nothing is given.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:

Not surprising to me

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not surprising to me

Ya his curve was a bottom drop type. It looked like a split on how the bottom fell out.

Now some on the calls were garbage. The ump's zone was laughable at best. But those bad calls set up his bottom drop pitches.

Against vets those high strikes are balls which changes the dynamic.

But 97 in your eyes is still a thing. Some hitters can't help themselves.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Ya his curve was a bottom drop type. It looked like a split on how the bottom fell out.

Now some on the calls were garbage. The ump's zone was laughable at best. But those bad calls set up his bottom drop pitches.

Against vets those high strikes are balls which changes the dynamic.

But 97 in your eyes is still a thing. Some hitters can't help themselves.
I never could lay off that pitch

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
If it’s a 2 or 3 year deal and less than 15 mil per, then it’s a good idea
Matz is an interesting case. He has a solid year and lefties are always at a premium. I always watched him going he should be better. Maybe some time in the Cubs lab which seems to be a cutting edge lab in the league could do him some good. I wouldnt give him anything crazy but at 30. He worth a good look

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I’d also love to see Andrew chafin brought back if possible

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
If it’s a 2 or 3 year deal and less than 15 mil per, then it’s a good idea
I'd be pretty alright with him and gray at reasonable prices then bring in 1 of the shortstops. The starting 5 Hendricks, gray, matz, Miley, Kilian. BP- Steele, Thompson, Alzolay, Wick, Weick, Marquez, FA (Chafin/Tepera/etc)

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I'd be pretty alright with him and gray at reasonable prices then bring in 1 of the shortstops. The starting 5 Hendricks, gray, matz, Miley, Kilian. BP- Steele, Thompson, Alzolay, Wick, Weick, Marquez, FA (Chafin/Tepera/etc)
And schwarber

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Steven Matz Weighing Multiple Offers, Expects To Sign This Week​

November 23rd, 2021 at 10:01am CST • By Anthony Franco
Nov. 23: Matz is weighing offers from each of the Giants, Red Sox, Blue Jays, Tigers, Cubs, Cardinals, Angels and Mets, Heyman tweets. The Giants’ offer remains on the table even after re-signing DeSclafani.

Nov. 22: The free agent starting pitching market has moved very quickly over the offseason’s first few weeks, and it seems another domino could soon fall. Southpaw Steven Matz is likely to pick his destination before Thanksgiving, reports Joel Sherman of the New York Post (Twitter link).

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Finally we agree on something....my favorite pickup by Hoyer. In 100 innings last year....112 K's and 13 BBs. 13 walks in 100 innings....are you kidding me? Hendricks can't even touch that. The Cubs have had starters that hit 13 BBs in 3 games.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Frazer kicked out by NYY. Will he make it past the Vulture culture on Waveland?