Offseason Junk

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I'll be honest, I don't think the cubs are as bad as others do. There's 3 FA i'd sign if i could at the prices/length fangraphs has for their projections. The first is Kershaw. They have him going for 4/$26.5 mil. I get the reason why he's not going to command $30 mil a season but think there's still a lot to like there. The second I'd sign is grienke at the 1/$11 mil fangraphs has on him. To me he is similar to the lackey signing in 2016. He's a winner who you are just trying to milk the last bits out cheaply. With Hendricks, Miley and Alolay it allows you to slide some of the younger depth the cubs finally have into the bullpen rather than putting it all on them to start in 2022. For example, Steele and Marquez coming out of the bullpen is a lot more interesting and if they pitch well you have options to replace Miley and Greinke in 2023.

The last signing is pretty obvious but they have baez getting 4/$20M. That's a pretty no brainer for me. It buys you time for Howard and the other prospects and he can always move to 3B later if his defense takes a step back with age.

All told those 3 signings would push the 2022 payroll to $125.4 mil which is hardly breaking the bank and the best part is the two big signings in baez/kershaw would both be 4 year deals so you're not tied down long term. You make those moves and I think the cubs can be a wild card team who can push for the division if the dice roll well. I'd also look to play Nico in CF and Happ in LF with the idea being long term Nico moves to LF once PCA is ready. I realize Nico hasn't played CF but it was suggested he could play there when he was a prospect coming up and he's a better runner than Happ so I imagine he'd have better range.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
This is who I think they target on short team bargain deals, and some of the two year contracts could turn into flips:

Free Agents
Aaron LoupRP2 years
Eduardo Escobar Utility2 years
Descalfani SP2 years
Collin McHughRP2 years
Kyle Seager3B2 years
Mark Canha OF4 years
ConfortoOF4 years
KershawSP2 years
Rodon SP4 years
MarteOF2 years
Trades
Torres2b/SS
Hosmer
Will Myers
Matt Chapman
Matt Olsen

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
This is who I think they target on short team bargain deals, and some of the two year contracts could turn into flips:

Free Agents
Aaron LoupRP2 years
Eduardo Escobar Utility2 years
Descalfani SP2 years
Collin McHughRP2 years
Kyle Seager3B2 years
Mark Canha OF4 years
ConfortoOF4 years
KershawSP2 years
Rodon SP4 years
MarteOF2 years
Trades
Torres2b/SS
Hosmer
Will Myers
Matt Chapman
Matt Olsen
Pretty sure canha and marte signed with Mets over the weekend and Escobar I think.

Last edited:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Seems we are signing Yan Gomes to a two. year deal and we arent negotiating with Willy. Im guessing trade is on the horizion.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Cubs are being connected to Correa again a bit. I doubt it's real, but if I were going to give 10 years to anybody it would be him, not seager
I am hearing that many AL teams don't him from the sign stealing issues.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I am hearing that many AL teams don't him from the sign stealing issues.
Honestly it's kind of a joke. Most teams were likely stealing signs some way or another. They are just salty Houston did it and won then got caught

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Honestly it's kind of a joke. Most teams were likely stealing signs some way or another. They are just salty Houston did it and won then got caught
I'll take it though, especially if it brings down his value enough for the Cubs to target him.
But likely that this won't happen until new CBA.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Hard call on trading Contreras. It really depends on the package. You get a 55 grade arm and a 45 grade arm you do it.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If we are going that route probably might as well trade Hendricks as well

Kyle's value might be better in helping the next gen adjust. He is basically a weath of knowledge for the pending arms.

So in general I wouldn't make out the Gomes signing into a red flag. He is a back up right now. His numbers support back up. Cubs have a opening there.

With Amaya out I would think that this is a strengthening move vs a weakening move.

Willy is a guy that you build around.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
We we just talking about this a few days back.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Watch him have a break out and the Yanks start crying.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I don't understand at all how trading away a catcher who has a great arm and a good bat is a "no-brainer'.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
It makes sense because he will demand a long-term contract when the Cubs are in a full blown rebuild which will take anywhere between 3-5 years. Not even sure Contreras wants to stick around either. By that time Contreras will be expensive likely not living up to his contract and there will be better in house options to replace him. Unless you feel you can win a World Series, you should never give out a big contract to someone like Contreras who is good but not elite.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I'll be honest, I don't think the cubs are as bad as others do. There's 3 FA i'd sign if i could at the prices/length fangraphs has for their projections. The first is Kershaw. They have him going for 4/$26.5 mil. I get the reason why he's not going to command $30 mil a season but think there's still a lot to like there. The second I'd sign is grienke at the 1/$11 mil fangraphs has on him. To me he is similar to the lackey signing in 2016. He's a winner who you are just trying to milk the last bits out cheaply. With Hendricks, Miley and Alolay it allows you to slide some of the younger depth the cubs finally have into the bullpen rather than putting it all on them to start in 2022. For example, Steele and Marquez coming out of the bullpen is a lot more interesting and if they pitch well you have options to replace Miley and Greinke in 2023.

The last signing is pretty obvious but they have baez getting 4/$20M. That's a pretty no brainer for me. It buys you time for Howard and the other prospects and he can always move to 3B later if his defense takes a step back with age.

All told those 3 signings would push the 2022 payroll to $125.4 mil which is hardly breaking the bank and the best part is the two big signings in baez/kershaw would both be 4 year deals so you're not tied down long term. You make those moves and I think the cubs can be a wild card team who can push for the division if the dice roll well. I'd also look to play Nico in CF and Happ in LF with the idea being long term Nico moves to LF once PCA is ready. I realize Nico hasn't played CF but it was suggested he could play there when he was a prospect coming up and he's a better runner than Happ so I imagine he'd have better range.
?