OK I got a new one. Will Warner's Helping Cutler Translate in the Win Column?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdilla

Liked Posts:
Will Warner's Helping Cutler Translate in the Win Column?

:clap:Jay Cutler seems serious about his craft. During the Fan Expo at Soldier Field Cutler recently said, "I've talked to a lot of quarterbacks in that system, and very, very few have anything bad to say about it. It's very quarterback friendly ... Once you get the full grasp of it, the opportunities are endless." Although not naming any of those QB's, he did acknowledge reaching out to Kurt Warner, the one person who probably had the most success under Martz and his high octane style offense. It was reported Cutler intends to reach out to Warner and that they traded text messages after the hiring offensive coordinator Mike Martz.

"I think it would be good," Martz said. "It would be very good because they are so similar in terms of their intellectual capacities to do things. Having Kurt talk to him about some of these things would be really fun for Jay, and give him perspective.

"Jay's got a good grasp of things already. It's unbelievable. I think on how things are done, how Kurt sees things, it's always good to get that view from somebody who has done it within the system."

So hopefully we get our best out of Cutler in this QB friendly system, but what about the character questions and attitude questions that some have raised about #6. Are there other things he can learn from a Kurt Warner. Cutler said he has to reach out to former QB's of Martz, which surely can't hurt.

"I kind of want to be able digest a little bit more of the playbook, be more in sync with what we're trying to do and what we're being asked to do before I ask (Warner) a lot of questions,'' Cutler said. "Maybe through July, I'll have a little more of a lengthy conversation with him."
Warner said he'd be more than willing to speak with Cutler, although declining to be interviewed. This was a great idea and a wise move on Cutler's behalf. It shows he wants to improve and are taking steps to do so. It may also mean he's excited or at least motivated to get started learning a system he thinks will allow him to win ball games. People speak a lot about Brett Favre. Well the recently retired Kurt Warner has been around the block a few times and has Brett-like accomplishments without the diva/primadonna persona. I say Kurt Warner for Quarter Backs Coach.
:clap:

Last edited:

CubbieBlue

Go Cubs Go!
Liked Posts:
I like the fact that Cutler is open to talking to other QB's about the system instead of trying to go full boar into it on his own.

As far as Cutlers attitude and character. I want a passionate QB. I want one who gets mad when his line is fucking up or his receivers are fucking up. I would like to see a little more emotion good and bad, not just the sad look on his face. now I don't want to see the extreme of a Philip Rivers, but emotion is good for the QB. As far as what happened in Denver I don't see it happening again. At least not for a couple of years. He knows he is the man here since we haven't had a good QB in well... as long as I can remember.

jdilla

Liked Posts:
Great points. I definitely agree about letting players know about their screw ups. That was one of Grossman's issues.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Well if nothing else, Cutler's sais he's trying.lol

Jay has been stripped down to basic HS mechanics by Martz, that says a lot about his character and humility. I'm looking forward to seeing a much better Cutler come September.

jdilla

Liked Posts:
Jay has been stripped down to basic HS mechanics by Martz, that says a lot about his character and humility. I'm looking forward to seeing a much better Cutler come September.
Man I appreciate that highlight video. That just put sports in general in a new perspective for me. Thanks for that.

JJ-28

Liked Posts:
Yes great highlight video, but where did you get that Cutler has been stripped down to basic HS mechanics by Martz. I read as much as I can find on the Bears and I didn't read anything like this. Not even sure Cutler and Martz are even working together yet, except maybe going over the playbook.

Status
Not open for further replies.