OL in 2020

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
So, I dont hate the picks. Just because you have 10 TEs on the roster doesn't mean any of them are good and CB2 was a need and we got good value there.

But having passed on Josh Jones twice, what exactly is the plan for the O line? We spent all last season bemoaning a line that had grown soft, consistently missed one-on-one assignments, and had zero push in the run game. Now we are adding two busts to the mix and a position coach who was, with the greatest respect, a College consultant last year and hoping for what exactly?

Just thought we were a lock to get OL help in the second round.

menacemanic

Liked Posts:
So, I dont hate the picks. Just because you have 10 TEs on the roster doesn't mean any of them are good and CB2 was a need and we got good value there.

But having passed on Josh Jones twice, what exactly is the plan for the O line? We spent all last season bemoaning a line that had grown soft, consistently missed one-on-one assignments, and had zero push in the run game. Now we are adding two busts to the mix and a position coach who was, with the greatest respect, a College consultant last year and hoping for what exactly?

Its a concern for sure I was really hoping for S and OL ..............But hey maybe they will trade in the third round....

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Bears will only keep 4 or maybe 5 of these guys.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Bears will only keep 4 or maybe 5 of these guys.

Yep, that was my point. I am/was fine with one of CB, TE, WR but not taking any OL leaves us needing one of Ifedi/Spriggs to show something they haven't before in the NFL and be solid starters AND Leno and Massie to come back from bad 2019 seasons AND Whitehair/Daniels to take a step.

Seems to me to be a big risk to take given that the OL and putrid run game was a critical weakness last year. What am I missing?

cubsforlife

Liked Posts:
Yep, that was my point. I am/was fine with one of CB, TE, WR but not taking any OL leaves us needing one of Ifedi/Spriggs to show something they haven't before in the NFL and be solid starters AND Leno and Massie to come back from bad 2019 seasons AND Whitehair/Daniels to take a step.

Seems to me to be a big risk to take given that the OL and putrid run game was a critical weakness last year. What am I missing?

Nothing. You are missing nothing. OT was something we really needed to address in the 2nd imo. At the very least to light a fire under Leno and/or Massie. I think Whitehair and Daniels will be fine. I think Ifedi can handle G, or at least be an improvement at RG. Still would be nice for some depth with one of our later picks there. But Spriggs has to step up now, because I don't have confidence in either Leno or Massie to step up. Seems like they both got paid and just relaxed last year, and neither were that good to begin with.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
The problem is compounded by the fact that unless Mitch somehow turns the corner and becomes a solid starter in 2020 (<5% chance), we are essentially boxed in to taking a swing at QB in 2021 with our first rounder. So best case we take an OT in middle of 2nd in 2021.

Why is this organization seemingly allergic to drafting tackles? It's a goddamn mystery.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We knew OL at 43 would probably be a reach. That played out to be true.

Sucks Pace couldn't or wouldn't find a trade partner or this discussion would be about an OL pick late 2nd or 3rd.

Maybe Heck is still there at #163?? Maybe a trade up happens for Prince or another OL worth his salt. Won't take much to beat out Leno/Massie.

With a few more expected releases, Bears will have ~$10 mil in cap. Let's pray for a post draft OL cut to grab in FA for now.

msadows

Liked Posts:

Every team passed on Josh Jones at least twice.

msadows

Liked Posts:
The plan is to hope that both the busts develop into non busts....lol

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ryan Pace is an idiot.

We all expected at least one o-lineman to get drafted and dipshit didn't get any.

I said a long time ago that hiring a HC with so little experience at any level was going to get Pace fired.

Pace cannot even help himself at this point. He's gotta hope Foles completely bails him out this year.

reggie_love

Liked Posts:
They can probably still find a decent RG in the 5th. They simply don't have the picks or cap space to do all the things they would want to do this off season. They are running it back with Leno and massie at tackle. This is the price you pay for bad acquisitions like burton and sheehan.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Ryan Pace is an idiot.

We all expected at least one o-lineman to get drafted and dipshit didn't get any.

I said a long time ago that hiring a HC with so little experience at any level was going to get Pace fired.

Pace cannot even help himself at this point. He's gotta hope Foles completely bails him out this year.

I was the one ringing the bell for ol, but who was there to draft?

I liked Jones, but every nfl team obviously didn't because he got passed on at least twice by each one.

Other than that you had cushenberry who got taken in the 3rd round.

He got the best TE and the best CB available.

I'm not going to hate on either pick until I see what they do.

Literally the thing everyone said was for him not to reach for need. He didn't. Taking an OL there would be reaching for need.

Now you could say he should have traded down...that....thats a diff story.

msadows

Liked Posts:
They can probably still find a decent RG in the 5th. They simply don't have the picks or cap space to do all the things they would want to do this off season. They are running it back with Leno and massie at tackle. This is the price you pay for bad acquisitions like burton and sheehan.

Has muti been picked yet?

Minus the injuries that guy is a first round pick......

Trade one of the 6ths and the 5th to move up to the 4th to secure the dude.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
O line was the absolute weakest unit on the team last year, to the point where the starting guard had to literally retire mid season.

The line was upgraded with 2 busts. There’s no reason to think the o line won’t once again be the weakest unit on the team next year. The problem with that is it’s going to hold the whole team back. Last year and the year prior we all cried that the offense was holding this ‘super bowl’ caliber defense back. Yet here we are clamoring for a safety and CB.

Not saying pace’s picks were bad, although I didn’t want Kmet, but the weakest unit on the team has not been upgraded at all.

Pace is really relying on these guys to just magically improve back to average at best.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
I think it's pretty much a given that QB and OT are going to be the first two picks next year. At OT, we should be keeping an eye on Penei Sewell, Walker Little, Liam Eichenberg, Samuel Cosmi, Alex Leatherwood, and Alaric Jackson. At QB, we are probably out on the Lawrence and Fields sweepstakes so we need to be looking at 2nd tier players like Brock Purdy, Jamie Newman, Kyle Trask, KJ Costello, and Trey Lance.

elbandido

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Better trade up for Bladasz...and fast...

AusBear

Liked Posts:
Some O-lineman of note heading into tomorrow:

OT:
- Ben Bartch
- Saahdiq Charles
- Prince Tega Wanogho
- Hakeem Adeniji
- Charlie Heck
- Jack Driscoll
- Alex Taylor

IOL:
- John Simpson
- Tyler Biadasz
- Nick Harris
- Ben Bredeson
- Netane Muti
- Shane Lemieux
- Logan Stenberg

Among others obviously - I just pulled some names I had heard of off a big board I found. But there are still some interesting options remaining.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I think a lot of people will be surprised to see Bars starting at RG this season and even more surprised to see him play well.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I was the one ringing the bell for ol, but who was there to draft?

I liked Jones, but every nfl team obviously didn't because he got passed on at least twice by each one.

Other than that you had cushenberry who got taken in the 3rd round.

He got the best TE and the best CB available.

I'm not going to hate on either pick until I see what they do.

Literally the thing everyone said was for him not to reach for need. He didn't. Taking an OL there would be reaching for need.

Now you could say he should have traded down...that....thats a diff story.

What's funny is I saw a couple posters on here say they'd "run to the podium" if he's still there. And that's exactly why they're just armchair GM's.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
not a bad selection of guys to pick but i feel like they'll run dry in the 6th.