Oline observations from Thayer

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Tough to be hopeful about the oline improvement. Now Thayer states his reasons why

Also Kreutz' comments

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Thayer's right but he didn't make it about the personnel. That a new coach and grouping can't practice together on the unit where coordination is most critical could really hold them back. They also can't fall back on last year's shit show to make do.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
Me and Kreutz are on the same page. Been saying the same thing myself:

"Among his statements included a concern that Matt Nagy might not know how to craft an actual run scheme."
Nagy said last year that if you run the ball and the other team knows you are running you lose 3-4 yards. What loser mentality.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
If they have the money, they could sign Warford. Can he do the zone, or whatever, offense they want to run? If Warford is going to do a step better than any other option for the 5 OL, why not?

Germain Ifedi signed a one year, $1.05 mil contract. It's not like that's more than a good vet backup.

menacemanic

Liked Posts:
If they have the money, they could sign Warford. Can he do the zone, or whatever, offense they want to run? If Warford is going to do a step better than any other option for the 5 OL, why not?

Germain Ifedi signed a one year, $1.05 mil contract. It's not like that's more than a good vet backup.

We can. Cut the 5 TE TO MAKE THE MONEY WORTH TO SIGN WARFORD

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
No surprises here. A lot of people are skeptical that Bars, Spriggs, and Ifedi are adequate solutions to the massive OL problems the Bears had last year. Rooting to be proven wrong here, but there is a very real chance the OL is the same dumpster fire that it was last year.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:

thats the sticking point, warford is not a fit in zone blocking...you need athletic guards who can get out and move well...warford does not fit that, hes a power guy...i'm sure castillo could make adjustments but given what castillo has done in the past i'm sure he thinks he can elevate ifedi/bars/rookie to fit he RG role he needs

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I have my doubts about the O-line but up to this point I don't think lack of in person OTA's have had much effect. Here is the OTA NFL perimeters.

Phase One consists of the first two weeks of the program with activities limited to strength and conditioning and physical rehabilitation only.

Phase Two consists of the next three weeks of the program. On-field workouts may include individual player instruction and drills as well as team practice conducted on a “separates” basis. No live contact or team offense vs. team defense drills are permitted.

Phase Three consists of the next four weeks of the program. Teams may conduct a total of 10 days of organized team practice activity, or “OTAs”. No live contact is permitted, but 7-on-7, 9-on-7, and 11-on-11 drills are permitted.

Phase 3 is really the only one where there is any major O-line coordination and even that is at half speed. Until mini camp or training camp get compromised, I don't see this as an issue/excuse.

menacemanic

Liked Posts:
If you think $2.9M will do it.

I think the fact he isnt signed plus we can say hey join us and we win a superbowl.Plus we can make easy goals in the contract for them to reach to make more.money

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
As Menace above has suggested, Warford's contract can be mostly incentive laden and consequently more in line with the BEARs cap situation.

In the wildcard playoff against Minnesota ( right now on NFL Network ) he has been stout in pass pro AND gets to the LBer level on run plays when called on. He definitely would upgrade the RG position for us and reminds me of Sitton as a temp higher quality upgrade

Ted Ginn showin his stuff too for NO

NAGY though has not shown a tendency to stick with a running attack, if, and whenever it has been working in the past. The presumption here is that he is capable of using a running attack in his O, which is suspect

...... OMG just saw Warford bullrushed into Brees Result forced fumble Bears are in trouble even with Warford. Ofc the Vikings are very stout in their D front

Last edited:

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Those headlines are total click bait. Thayer expressed concern that the number of changes with personnel and coaches would be difficult because they can't get together right now. That's common sense regarding the uncertainty of this offseason, not any deep insight.

I listened to the Kreutz interview last week. He was confident Ifedi could start and be an upgrade but realistic about who he was. Ifedi can move people in the run game but is heavy footed and struggles with speed on the outside, which is why they brought him in as a guard.

Olin was far more critical of Nagy. At multiple points, he questioned whether Nagy needed someone to install a run game and whether Nags understood the run game at all. He thought Nagy stubbornly moved away from the power run game when that's all that was working because he was so married to his scheme.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Those headlines are total click bait. Thayer expressed concern that the number of changes with personnel and coaches would be difficult because they can't get together right now. That's common sense regarding the uncertainty of this offseason, not any deep insight.

I listened to the Kreutz interview last week. He was confident Ifedi could start and be an upgrade but realistic about who he was. Ifedi can move people in the run game but is heavy footed and struggles with speed on the outside, which is why they brought him in as a guard.

Olin was far more critical of Nagy. At multiple points, he questioned whether Nagy needed someone to install a run game and whether Nags understood the run game at all. He thought Nagy stubbornly moved away from the power run game when that's all that was working because he was so married to his scheme.
Olin and I both.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
thats the sticking point, warford is not a fit in zone blocking...you need athletic guards who can get out and move well...warford does not fit that, hes a power guy...i'm sure castillo could make adjustments but given what castillo has done in the past i'm sure he thinks he can elevate ifedi/bars/rookie to fit he RG role he needs
We dont have a zone run game. We don't have a run game at all. So does it matter?