OLINE

2MuchChino

Liked Posts:
Don’t you think he’s been in the weight room throughout his college career? Don’t you think all other offensive lineman who are currently better than him will also be in the weight room?
I think rookies in the NFL add bulk and/or strength in their first couple years. That along with technique improvements means they hopefully get better. If his game is improving, I say let him get better and see where his ceiling is. Having said that, between FA and the first three rounds of the draft I'd like to see the Bears add a quality OT and C.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I don’t understand your thinking that “he deserves“ anything. He has not been anywhere near as good as you make him out to be, and the front office can’t go into the off-season feeling someone deserves a chance to get better while passing up opportunities to improve that position.

What do you do after the off-season if he hasn’t gotten better? you can’t draft somebody in the fall. you can’t sign a free agent in the fall.

He hasn’t earned anything. he has been somewhat less horrible than our center which does not make center a top priority on the offensive line.

Yes we definitely need someone new at center, but no GM would ever prioritize center over left tackle.
I said he needs to fix his lower body strength in the offseason and if so then deserves the chance to show that and start next year. If we didn't have a mobile QB who's finally learning to get the ball out quicker then maybe that would be different.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He's a rookie. Is his needle pointing up? Because an off season in the weight room could work wonders and even a slightly better version of him next year is probably sufficient.

Maybe he can get better next season but he is currently one of the worst left tackles in terms of pressure given up.

DB012031

Liked Posts:
Don’t you think he’s been in the weight room throughout his college career? Don’t you think all other offensive lineman who are currently better than him will also be in the weight room?

Fair point but also keep in mind where Braxton went to school, and it wasn't a Power 5 team/conference. So, more than likely there wasn't someone 4/5* sitting behind him, pushing him every day to get better. Not saying he was lazy or complacent, but you do have to work harder when you know there is someone breathing down your neck to take your spot.

Also, there is no comparison in weightrooms and strength coaches when it comes to the Power 5 and the smaller schools. Give me any player in D1 and have them spend 1 off season with a non-power 5 Strength program and then give me that same player and 1 off season say with the Michigan/Ohio State/Alabama strength program. Its more than likely a massive difference in results.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
If Anderson or Carter aren’t available when we pick, then I’m taking Olumuyiwa Fashanu out of Penn State. I like Jones, but he hasn’t done enough so far to warrant being the incumbent starter. I think he can improve with an NFL strength program, but I think to land someone like Fashanu would be huge. He’s not even 20 years old yet and is shooting up draft boards.

chuck3671

Liked Posts:
Braxton Jones has to improve a lot to remain the starting LT(especially against a bull rush). I don't hate Braxton Jones as LT, and even though he's done objectively well as a 5th round pick, he's had his struggles. And he had his struggles in this game, too. He had 2 really bad snaps back to back in the 2nd half. I think our gameplanning and playcalling has done a better job of masking our oline deficiencies.

I feel like Reiff has been pretty good at RT, too. Have never really been sold on Borom.

If we could get 2 starting caliber linemen from the draft/FA. I would be consider that a win. I wouldn't hate if we got 3-4, though.
Give him an offseason of NFL weight training and I think he can improve against the bull rush

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
^ This. Look for an elite WR in 2024 if the offense needs to take that next step. Would also add.... 3. OL
I'm actually ok with waiting until the 2024 draft (Marvin Harrison Jr Folks) with the addition of Claypool. Don't think he's a #1 but if we could add a really good slot receiver in free agency then i'm good with having Claypool, Mooney and a good slot guy for next year. Maybe JuJu if KC doesn't bring him back and he already played with Claypool in Pitt.

Liked Posts:
Double down, draft Addison or Njigba in R1, a C R2 , sort the Dline & a RT in Free Agency.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I said he needs to fix his lower body strength in the offseason and if so then deserves the chance to show that and start next year. If we didn't have a mobile QB who's finally learning to get the ball out quicker then maybe that would be different.
You are right. He has good technique and appears to be strong in the upper body. But he gets pushed back pretty easily by the power rushers. What do you think about possibly moving him to right tackle and bringing in a free agent left tackle?

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
B.Jones seemed like he played well and he was matched up against B.Chubb for most of the game. He did give up that big sack to M.Ingram but he's easily earned that starting job as of now, hopefully he'll finish out strong. Still think RT and C are the for sure needs. Really wish i could count on Patrick staying healthy cause he actually looked good for the short time he was out there in the Pats game (i think it was the Pats game) but the guy just can't stay healthy.

We need 4 starters across our DL so i put that at the top but WR, LB and OL are all right there after DL.
@Dejo look at the Brax hater trying to save face!

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
You are right. He has good technique and appears to be strong in the upper body. But he gets pushed back pretty easily by the power rushers. What do you think about possibly moving him to right tackle and bringing in a free agent left tackle?
Not sure the difference it would make when you still have some of the greats rushing from that side as well like Nick Bosa, K.Mack and many others so he's still got to get stronger in his lower body. If it would work then i'm all for it though.