Omer Asik: HE GONE!

Deng Defense Force

Liked Posts:
Officially, the Bulls won't do what we already knew they wouldn't, match Rockets offer.

I know there are 100 Asik threads, but since everyone else gets a "HE GONE" thread, I figure he should get one as well.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/stor...lls-not-match-houston-rockets-offer-omer-asik

The Chicago Bulls will not match the Houston Rockets' three-year, $25.1 million offer to Omer Asik, the team announced via its website Tuesday morning.

"It was a difficult decision because Omer did a nice job for us," Bulls general manager Gar Forman told the team's website Tuesday. "Matching the offer for Omer could have put us in a difficult position going forward in trying to acquire high-level talent. We wish Omer good luck and continued success."

The deal that the Rockets structured would have meant the Bulls would have been on the hook for a cap hit of almost $15 million in the final year of the contract. The Bulls decided they did not want to absorb such a substantial penalty given their current cap situation.

Asik averaged 3.1 points and 5.3 rebounds coming off the Bulls' bench.

Meanwhile, the Bulls are finalizing deals for Marco Belinelli and Nazr Mohammed, according to a source familiar with the situation.

The 6-foot-5 Belinelli, who is a former first-round pick (18th overall) by Golden State, averaged 11.8 points last season with the New Orleans Hornets. He is expected to sign for the bi-annual exception, which is just under $2 million.

By using the bi-annual exception, the Bulls' hard cap themselves at $74 million for the season. As ESPN salary cap expert Larry Coon has stated, the hard cap may preclude the Bulls from making any major in-season acquisitions. They will have to add minimum salaried players to fill out the roster.

Mohammed is expected to sign for the veteran's minimum, which is $1.3 million.

The Bulls also officially announced the signing of Kirk Hinrich, who will appear at a news conference Tuesday afternoon.

The Bulls signed veteran Vladimir Radmanovic earlier this week and will look to fill out the rest of the roster with minimum salaried players because of their reluctance to go deep into the luxury tax.

Last edited:

Bear06

Liked Posts:
I see that you copied my thread title. :oprah:

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Houston seemed to have built the deals for both Asik and Lin around screwing their old teams -- and may have screwed themselves in the process.

Reactions: BNB

Deng Defense Force

Liked Posts:
I see that you copied my thread title. :oprah:

I'm just keeping the "HE GONE" thread legacy going. Nobody else had posted it yet, so I did. Sorry if you were late to the game on this one.

But since I'm such a nice guy, I will award you half credit on this one if you want. :smug2:

thechosenone

Liked Posts:
Houston seemed to have built the deals for both Asik and Lin around screwing their old teams -- and may have screwed themselves in the process.

In basketball terms their moves were awfull. But they obviously don't want to win a championship. In marketing terms they did a great job. They will sell many Lin's and Asik's shirts.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Pretty much.

It may be cheers and popping champagne now... but in 3 years when they realize that over 50% of their cap is taken up by Lin and Asik, there will be lots of tissue and "what the fuck were we thinking" type of statements.

Deng Defense Force

Liked Posts:
In basketball terms their moves were awfull. But they obviously don't want to win a championship. In marketing terms they did a great job. They will sell many Lin's and Asik's shirts.

Pretty much.

It may be cheers and popping champagne now... but in 3 years when they realize that over 50% of their cap is taken up by Lin and Asik, there will be lots of tissue and "what the fuck were we thinking" type of statements.

Houston off season moves = $60 million for some t-shirt marketing and memes.

thechosenone

Liked Posts:
Not some shirts. They will make a lot of money. #asianfacts

If they don't want a championship then they picked the best players. Expect them to sign Kirilenko too. Lol

Last edited:

Bear06

Liked Posts:
Not some shirts. They will make a lot of money. #asianfacts

If they don't want a championship then they picked the best players. Expect them to sign Kirilenko too. Lol

Didn't you want the Bulls to sign Kirilenko a few months ago?

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They will sell many Lin's and Asik's shirts.
Meh...just Lin shirts really. I guess they can make a lot of Asik shirts, but not a whole lot of people will buy them. They will have the continued support of every Asian in the world though. :elephant:

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Meh...just Lin shirts really. I guess they can make a lot of Asik shirts, but not a whole lot of people will buy them. They will have the continued support of every Asian in the world though. :elephant:

ASIK and destroy LINSANITY

:shifty:

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Pretty much.

i think the rockets can restructure the contracts so they dont take a poison pill in the last year...

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
That $15 mil. could also be good trade bait for a team looking to free up a ton of cap space in 2 years.

i didn't say they would, i said they can...

i think the point is that the rockets aren't fretting too much about lin and asik(though i think he is overpaid regardless of if there is a poison pill or not,but that's the market)

Deng Defense Force

Liked Posts:
i didn't say they would, i said they can...

i think the point is that the rockets aren't fretting too much about lin and asik(though i think he is overpaid regardless of if there is a poison pill or not,but that's the market)

Calm down buddy. I didn't say that you didn't say they would. I was just agreeing with your previous statement and adding another positive about it.

th_stick-men_handshake.gif

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Calm down buddy. I didn't say that you didn't say they would. I was just agreeing with your previous statement and adding another positive about it.

th_stick-men_handshake.gif
who said i wasn't calm? lulz

i'm just making a point here...

i saw what you're getting at

inactiveuser1

The Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
I bet one of them gets amnestied, probably Asik is the more likely candidate