Only the Bears REALLY wanted Alex Leatherwood

LIBlue

Liked Posts:
How much will the Bears pay for Leatherwood? A journalist would have likely listed that in his article since he called out the cap hit as a major issue. What is his exorbitant salary? It is $1.3M this year, $2.0M in 2023, and $2.6M in 2024. It averages under $2.0M per year. Oh my god, how will we survive.

Last edited:

msadows

Liked Posts:
It's a low cost risk... and if they move him to Guard and he wrecks shit, no one here will care and will Hail him and Jenkins as the Future Guards for the next 10 years... if not, he'll be cut next year... most likely.

But wouldn't you rather spend that money on a washed up bum?

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Poles is giving 2nd chances to so many players, a couple ought to take hold of the opportunity and get better

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Not too surprised. His tape is absolutely abysmal. I dont trust him on the field anytime soon. Maybe we see what potential he has from an athletic standpoint and give him a year to see if he develops at all.

4THQUARTERCLUTCHLER

Liked Posts:
Honestly it's a low risk move, move him to LG in practice and let then coach him up. It is possible he is out to prove himself and could turn it up a notch. If not cut him next year ?‍♂️

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
@JordanSigler I am curious why you didn't use the usual clickbait style of "Only the Bears REALLY [sic] Wanted this Offensive Lineman" for your title this time? Are your opinions seeping into your ledes?

Bust

Liked Posts:
bears need to hit money again boyz.

things may just <click>

Mitch Trubisky may find his click moment with the steelers.
Thomas Jones with the bears
Akiem Hicks with the bears
Josh McCown with the bears
Leatherwood with the bears? . . . hmmmmm

and I almost left off Carlos Santos. Another scrub who was nearly out of the league and figured it out in a bears uniform.

!WOW!

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:

I’m not going to lie after watching this Alex Leatherwood film breakdown vs backups. I’m not excited about the addiction anymore. He looks like the 2nd coming of Frank Omiyale. It’s going to take some major coaching to get this guy to be a good olinemen. He plays soft. Technique can be taught but not heart. If this Bears coaching staff can turn Leatherwood into a good player it will be a testament to their ability to develop players.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I see him as a G project. If he gets his shit together, he can be there a while but no one knows if that will actually happen. Maybe they put him in the dog house for a few weeks and he emerges at great G like Jenkins, LOL. :rimshot:

Word may may have been that Leatherwood (like Jenkins) still wants to play LT and therefore would be a difficult signing for Poles after clearing waivers, so Poles just claimed him instead. Meduim risk and better than medium potential reward type of signing. If he can just be a decent backup, he's making less than $2m a year for the next 3. Raiders gave him a big bonus instead of a higher guaranteed salary. The money here is not a big deal for this team right now, We are no longer in the top few in cap space but still top 10.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Low risk move. From what I understand, the Bears only pay him as long as he is on the roster. If they cut him later, there won’t be any dead cap. I suspect the plan is to let him sit for the season, try to erase everything he has learned up to this point, and let him compete for a spot next year. If he gets on the field this year, it will be because of a litany of injuries.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Low risk move. From what I understand, the Bears only pay him as long as he is on the roster. If they cut him later, there won’t be any dead cap. I suspect the plan is to let him sit for the season, try to erase everything he has learned up to this point, and let him compete for a spot next year. If he gets on the field this year, it will be because of a litany of injuries.
They took on a guaranteed contract. They pay him if cut but it's not something unaffordable. Guaranteed low backup money.
Dude was overdrafted. I think he may make a good G. Big and strong but meh feet and a little stiff.

E.F.Hutton

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I don't really get it. Instead, it points out just how substandard our line is/was. A mid first round pick released after one year is going to be a big name. Not necessarily a big time player. The only way I see this working is if Leatherwood slides to left guard as an eventual replacement for Whitehair. Yes, I know the Raiders slotted him in on the right side - how did that work out?

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I don't really get it. Instead, it points out just how substandard our line is/was. A mid first round pick released after one year is going to be a big name. Not necessarily a big time player. The only way I see this working is if Leatherwood slides to left guard as an eventual replacement for Whitehair. Yes, I know the Raiders slotted him in on the right side - how did that work out?

What don't you get?