Opening Day Lineup 2023

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
Who are the 9 batters on the opening day lineup card (including positions), and who are the 5 top starting pitchers?
Be fearless, you can list what you think will happen. and/or what you hope will happen. Have fun!

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Josh Bell at DH, with Aaron Judge coming off the bench.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
I'll play. The Cubs have just under 110M projected in payroll right now for 2023. That's 100-110M they could put out there if they wanted to be super serious about getting into being not just playoff but WS contenders again.

I'd love to see Contreras come back on a 5-6 year deal paying him AAV of 19-21M. OP said wish, so I am.

The next area to address would be adding some more left handed threat to the line up. After doing some looking, I'd just bring up Mervis and go with it.

Next is bringing in a more viable SS to move Hoerner back to 2nd. I'd target Bogaertz over Turner slightly just because Xander has a better history of playing more games a season. The difference is Xander has numbers more along 30M AAV versus Trea's 26M AAV.

Now we get to the truly wishful thinking/blockbuster. Trade for Ohtani. I have no idea what the Cubs would have to give up for him, but the Angels are up for sale and he's a valuable piece. It probably costs 3 of the Cubs top 5 prospects and maybe some more minor pieces. He's probably going to get 20-21 million next season in arb. I'd just offer him 12yr/450M at 25/35/40/40/40/40/40/40/40/40/30/30. The Cubs could possibly take Rendon off their hands to reduce the price in prospects. I'd still make LAA cover 20M AAV on what he has left just because they guy's barley been on the field since he signed his deal.

That would be 83.5-87.5 M more against the CBT bringing the possible payroll to right at 195M. That would be up by 15-18.5M if Rendon was included in the deal. That's still 17 M or so below the CBT if they wanted to add another arm or at the deadline.

Lineup
Bogaertz or TurnerSS
Hoerner 2B
Ohtani DH
Happ LF
Contraras C
Mervis 1B
Suzuki RF
Davis CF
Morel/Rendon 3B

Rotation
Ohtani
Stroman
Hendricks
Steele
Smyly

Now, tear me a new one.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I already made my own dream team wish list here: position players and pitchers

But since then my plans have changed, and rumors have effected what I think will happen.

Cubs are being heavily rumored to Kodai Senga and Trea Turner and Rodon. Dream scenario where they get all 3.

So next year I think the Cubs look like this:
1. Suzuki RF
2. Contreras C - I think the Cubs will actually let him walk after a QO to offset the QO's they lose.
3. Turner 3B
4. Mervis 1B/DH
5. Happ LF
6. Hoerner SS
7. Velasquez DH
8. Davis CF
9. Madrigal 2b

Prospects pushing for jobs: PCA, Triantos, Canario. If Canario can K less than Velasquez he should overtake him there.

Rodon
Senga
Stroman
Steele
Wesneski

Prospects pitching depth:
Wicks, Killian, BRown

Last edited:

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
I'll play. The Cubs have just under 110M projected in payroll right now for 2023. That's 100-110M they could put out there if they wanted to be super serious about getting into being not just playoff but WS contenders again.

I'd love to see Contreras come back on a 5-6 year deal paying him AAV of 19-21M. OP said wish, so I am.

The next area to address would be adding some more left handed threat to the line up. After doing some looking, I'd just bring up Mervis and go with it.

Next is bringing in a more viable SS to move Hoerner back to 2nd. I'd target Bogaertz over Turner slightly just because Xander has a better history of playing more games a season. The difference is Xander has numbers more along 30M AAV versus Trea's 26M AAV.

Now we get to the truly wishful thinking/blockbuster. Trade for Ohtani. I have no idea what the Cubs would have to give up for him, but the Angels are up for sale and he's a valuable piece. It probably costs 3 of the Cubs top 5 prospects and maybe some more minor pieces. He's probably going to get 20-21 million next season in arb. I'd just offer him 12yr/450M at 25/35/40/40/40/40/40/40/40/40/30/30. The Cubs could possibly take Rendon off their hands to reduce the price in prospects. I'd still make LAA cover 20M AAV on what he has left just because they guy's barley been on the field since he signed his deal.

That would be 83.5-87.5 M more against the CBT bringing the possible payroll to right at 195M. That would be up by 15-18.5M if Rendon was included in the deal. That's still 17 M or so below the CBT if they wanted to add another arm or at the deadline.

Lineup
Bogaertz or TurnerSS
Hoerner 2B
Ohtani DH
Happ LF
Contraras C
Mervis 1B
Suzuki RF
Davis CF
Morel/Rendon 3B

Rotation
Ohtani
Stroman
Hendricks
Steele
Smyly

Now, tear me a new one.
That is bold, good job...I think next year is a bridge year where we will have some of the top pieces in place for a run at the post season, but not all the pieces. I love Ohtani but I worry that even a stud like him could break down being a starting pitcher and a power hitter in the box. But, I would love to have him, but he has to be a piece. The angels bought 3 super expensive free agents, then could not afford to build the rest of the team.