1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels

Good stuff in here.

And this is WOW...

Corey Benjamin
: “I had Arn Tellem as an agent and Arn represented a lot of star players. The Bulls were trying to sign free agents. I hosted Tracy McGrady, Tim Thomas and Jermaine O’Neal when we brought them in. I was there personally for those [meetings] because we were all represented by the same agent (Arn). I remember Jerry Krause told me, ‘If you can get them to sign, I’ll renew your contract.’ I don’t remember Tim Duncan coming in, but I know we wanted Duncan. But we weren’t offering them the money that other teams were offering. I remember Tracy and Jermaine telling me, ‘They’re offering me peanuts.’ They weren’t trying to max these guys out; they were trying to give these guys smaller contracts.”

Kent McDill: “That sounds right. The Bulls organization – whether it be Krause or Reinsdorf – thought that you would take a pay cut in order to be a member of the Chicago Bulls, that being associated with a franchise this successful is worth more than the money you can make elsewhere. Nobody, nobody, was buying that argument.”

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

Good stuff in here.

And this is WOW...

Not that I have much of a desire to defend the Jerry's, and some of this will be hindsight but....

Duncan was never leaving San Antonio, and Corey hints at it by saying "I don't remember Tim Duncan coming in". I think Tim gave Orlando a listening to, but otherwise went right back to SAS, where he spent his career as we all know.

The other three guys hadn't proved anything (0 All-Star appearances) and I could totally see low ball offers to them.

We know Krause was in love with McGrady as he tried to trade Pippen for a draft pick to draft him. Here, I feel it would be Reinsdorf who would have limited the deal. As we know, Reinsdorf loved to personally negotiate all deals, so to him he see a three year pro, who's made improvements, but hasn't hit All-Star stride yet, thus I could see the lower offer coming in. A mistake of course if true, given knowing what McGrady's numbers were in Orlando/Houston.

Tim Thomas is actually a good one to whiff on. You were basically paying him for his 5 game post season appearance in 2000 where he stepped up his game. As we all know, Tim Thomas produced in his contract years, then disappeared. In any sense, are you really going to pay a lot of money to guy averaging 11 ppg in the regular season?

I also don't remember the Bulls going after Jermaine O'Neal. He wasn't a part of the 2000 free agency squad. He signed a 4 year deal with Portland in 99 actually. So anything going on would have had to be a trade. Jermaine was stuck on Portland's bench, and number wise, hadn't proved anything. I do remember people just waiting for him to break out, he was able to do that in Indiana.

The player missing from this is Eddie Jones, who was an All-Star in 99-00, averaging 20 ppg on a playoff team. Now if they lowballed him, probably why he went to Miami.

This whole analysis by me does ignore the Jordan shadow that still seems to haunt some players to this day. I figure that has to be fading though with players now in the league who weren't even born when Jordan was playing.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
This whole analysis by me does ignore the Jordan shadow that still seems to haunt some players to this day. I figure that has to be fading though with players now in the league who weren't even born when Jordan was playing.

zach doesnt seem to have an issue with it...he moved the goat to the 3

:bullstroll:

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Why duncan was never leaving San Antonio?

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Fun duncan fact he was once asked what’s the number one thing you do on the internet and his answer was chicagobears.com forum. i Wonder if he migrated here