OT 10 year deal for Mahomes

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
I think mahomes will regret this. Didn't urlacher sign a long deal and regret it. Ended up holding out with 4 years left.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I believe it is located somewhere between his hurt butt and that sour puss.

Congratulations to Patrick Mahomes and best wishes to a long NFL life in the AFC where he will only shread my favorite team once every few years.

oh, the french man that locks threads, hello to you too.

should I inject Donald Trump into this thread so you can lock it or something?

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
oh, the french man that locks threads, hello to you too.

Bonsoir, mon ami!

should I inject Donald Trump into this thread so you can lock it or something?

Nah...we good. Gotta save some of them padlocks for training camp or the lack thereof.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hey guys, how are Mahomes and Watson doing?

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is great for Mahomes; he's got the talent. But will it be great for the Chiefs? 10 years is a long time; the only way they'll be able to afford keep that talent around him is to never miss in the top four draft picks for a while (draft picks are relatively 'cheap').

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
This is great for Mahomes; he's got the talent. But will it be great for the Chiefs? 10 years is a long time; the only way they'll be able to afford keep that talent around him is to never miss in the top four draft picks for a while (draft picks are relatively 'cheap').

Not only will it be great for the Chiefs, it will be great for the Chiefs.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Pat is still playing this year for the 825k base salary, bonus dollars so he will only be making 5.3 or so this year right?

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pat is still playing this year for the 825k base salary, bonus dollars so he will only be making 5.3 or so this year right?

That is correct. It is still a very team friendly deal for the next three seasons and then is probably relying on a big boost in the cap by 2024, but also has an easy out in 2024 if things go south with him or at least a chance to renegotiate.

Chiefs did a nice job with this contract IMO.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
1594128075972.png

Interesting contract structure. About as team friendly a contract as one potentially worth half a billion dollars could be. At the beginning of every league year his next two seasons money becomes guaranteed, so the Cheifs will have a continual $60M- $100M dead cap hit depending on time of year lingering through the 2023 season. Then the guarantee drops to just the next season( $40M-50M). Never an easy out for the Chiefs, but being able to convert the roster to signing bonus would allow longer lower cap hits.

Got to think that someone is targeting the 2027 for something, his cap hit goes from $42M in 2026 to $60M then back down to $44.5M in 2028. That season his entire 2028 bonus plus his salary also become guaranteed earlier again, putting more stress on the Chiefs. I would guess that that is a year that his agent may have targeted for a renegotiation and wanted to be able to offer the team some cap relief as reward.

Attachments

• 1594128011390.png
    1594128011390.png
    259.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

BearsGr8

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
This could be great for KC, or maybe just okay... I guess it depends on how you view the big picture. That salary does take up a huge amount of the cap for a long time.

We all know there are no guarantees. I'm thinking about how some of the past stellar QB's never quite sustained their success in terms of SB appearances. Dan Marino is a prime examnple. He made it to the SB (and lost) in his second year in the league. Things looked really good for his future. As fantastic as he was throughout his career, he never made it to the Super Bowel again, not even once.

There are other greats who did win one SB, but never again:
Johnny Unitas
Steve Young
Brett Favre

Let's not forget active QB's who are still in the hunt for their second SB win, but whose windows may be starting to close. Let's not forget that Mahomes now stands in the way:
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Russell Wilson

Of course KC had to secure Mahomes long term, no doubt, and I wish him all the success for his career. But in the NFL landscape, things always change. It will be interesting to see how his career in KC plays out. Will the next great QB emerge on the scene and start to stand in Mahomes' way, as he now does for the above QB's?

I love this sport!

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Mahomes and his agent probably like the sound of being the 1st $1/2 billion player.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Finally, it only took 51 posts to get the obvious problem with this contract.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
As obvious as it is, is there any question that all would do it? Maybe not Belichick but I suspect he would as well.