OT 10 year deal for Mahomes

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Finally, it only took 51 posts to get the obvious problem with this contract.

Because it is not an obvious problem at all. Cap Space is going to keep rising, with the possible exception of next season due to current events, to the point that $40 million a year may be the mean rather than the exception.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Finally, it only took 51 posts to get the obvious problem with this contract.
Says the fans of every team without a QB worth franchise money.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
As obvious as it is, is there any question that all would do it? Maybe not Belichick but I suspect he would as well.
Nope, no question at all. Pay the man. But man, it does require that you keep cheap talent around him.

DB012031

Liked Posts:
Can you point me in a direction to your factual evidence? I'm not disagreeing, just seems like a hypothetical that would be difficult to prove on either side

Not really if you think about it:
  • Mahomes went to a ready made Playoff Team and got to sit for a full year behind a successful, intelligent and competent QB in Alex Smith
  • Mahomes got one of the best Offensive Coaching minds in Andy Reid, who is proven and doesn't make blunders at the rate of our head coaches (Reid learns a lot better from his mistakes than most)
  • Mahomes had arguably Top 5 talent at all 3 levels of the skill positions (Hill at WR, Kelce at TE and in year 1, Hunt at RB). Also, Hill, Hunt and several other of the WR at KC have elite Track Level speed and Kelce is a burner for the TE position.
  • Solid, albeit, not spectacular Offensive Line.
Had Mahomes come to Chicago in that draft, he would have walked into:
  • A lame duck coach in John Fox who had no chance of surviving to the next season and no cohesive offensive strategy
  • Shit show of a QB Room with Mike Glennon to learn from
  • Best offensive player we had was maybe Jordan Howard. Our #1 receiver that year was Kendall Wright (yea, that's not a typo)
I am not saying that Mitch would have been a world beater if he had gone to KC instead of Chicago. What I am saying is Mahomes has elite level talent but he basically walked into possibly once of the best situations in NFL History. The Bears were an absolute dumpster fire.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I thought the 2018 QB class was weak, and was actually pissed when we took ANY QB.....But I thought if they were going to take a shot at QB it would have been Watson (ultimate success at the absolute highest level in college)

I still think that Mahomes was off the table for the Bears because they just got rid of a gunslinger. Cutler fu**ed us for 8 years and then again in 2018 even after he was gone.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
For everybody complaining about how this contract is going to put the chiefs in cap hell his salary is tied to a % of the cap. The chiefs will be fine.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Because it is not an obvious problem at all. Cap Space is going to keep rising, with the possible exception of next season due to current events, to the point that $40 million a year may be the mean rather than the exception.
How has the huge QB contracts work out for the others? Brady was the one who sacrificed money for the sake of keeping a very competitive rest of the team and it paid off big time.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
How has the huge QB contracts work out for the others? Brady was the one who sacrificed money for the sake of keeping a very competitive rest of the team and it paid off big time.
You decided to pick the greatest sports dynasty of all time with the greatest QB and greatest HC of all time and act like it’s some sort of precedence. Nobody will ever do what the Patriots did ever again.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
For everybody complaining about how this contract is going to put the chiefs in cap hell his salary is tied to a % of the cap. The chiefs will be fine.
Call story bro.
Report: Patrick Mahomes extension not tied to percentage of cap

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
Before the 2017 NFL draft people be like: I want DeShaun Watson over any other QB. Mitchell Trubisky is kind of a distant second. I don't know who Patrick Mahomes is.

Then they be like: I don't care that I didn't know who he was or that I preferred another QB. The Bears are still dumb for not drafting him.

Or people just straight up deny it.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

My point is that by the time it becomes a huge contract, it may not be that huge of a contract.

Hell...over the next three seasons, Patrick Mahomes will earn 15 million less than an aging Aaron Rodgers.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My point is that by the time it becomes a huge contract, it may not be that huge of a contract.

Hell...over the next three seasons, Patrick Mahomes will earn 15 million less than an aging Aaron Rodgers.
Your trying to explain basic math to kindergartners, give up. The same people chime in with this shit every time the bar is raised on the QB market. Going rate for a top ten QB is already at 35+ million. In three years time, when Mahomes contract finally exceeds that amount, he won't even be the top paid QB.

It's really not a bad contract at all for KC. the only way it really becomes an issue is if Mahomes suffers a career ending injury this year.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Josh Johnson has been on like 9 NFL teams and 3 leagues.

Do you remember his last year college stats?

I know about his college stats. So by your logic, Johnson means any college Qb with low ints. is gonna OR might end up with the same career?
Look at Mahomes low ints. his last year in college( 41Tds -10 picks. ). He ended up ok right?
Look at Joe Burrow last yr. at LSU 60 Tds - 6 picks. By your logic, Should we expect the same career as Johnson.
Look at Philip Rivers, last yr. at North Carolina State 37tds-7picks. He ended up ok right?

And finally, Trey Lance 28Tds - 0 picks By your logic, Should we expect the same career as Johnson.

Last edited:

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I know about his college stats. So by your logic, Johnson means any college Qb with low ints. is gonna OR might end up with the same career?
Look at Mahomes low ints. his last year in college( 41Tds -10 picks. ). He ended up ok right?
Look at Joe Burrow last yr. at LSU 60 Tds - 6 picks. By your logic, Should we expect the same career as Johnson.
And finally, Trey Lance 28Tds - 0 picks By your logic, Should we expect the same career as Johnson.

Not at all. That was your argument I was negating. And I do think Trey Nance is more Josh Johnson than anything. The way he goes about his production doesn’t translate. Progressions, reading defenses, throwing with anticipation...he shows none of those.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ive seen sone reports on the contract and it makes me ponder did he sell his life too the chiefs as well? The mans not allowed to do anything but play football and stay in a child proof room