OT. Around the rink talk

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Forgot to update my boys progress.

Two weeks ago my oldest son looked like he was on an island. The defence was horrible and as a d-man he had to take it on the chin. Think he was on the ice for 6 goals against. The other kid paired with him would bail and left my son trying to play a 1 man defence.

Yesterday was a night and day difference. The coaches worked on coverages and it showed. My son played in 2 games; first game they lost 5-2, and he had two real bad clearing attempts that resulted in 2 goals. Before his next game I talked to him in trying to settle the puck first than move it. Next game was an absolute beauty they won 13-2, and he was not on the ice for any goals against. Apparently he ripped one from the blue line that I missed as my daughter was getting fitted for gear as she is doing the learn to play. Everyone was talking about it and I missed it. He had another 3 assists to go with it.

I missed my youngest son game last week as I was with my oldest at his game. They lost by quite a bit but he has the only assist in his game, and he told me he checked a couple kids into the boards.

He had a game today, and his team had to pull players from our other Squirt team and we still only had 9 kids. He played Centre and was really pumped to play. He won all his face offs and was all over the ice. He led a couple of rushes and had to back check like a madman cause the defence thought they were playing forwards. He had an assist and they lost 5-2.

All in all a real good couple of weeks of hockey and a lot of growth and fun had by my boys. The highlight of these 2 weeks may be that my 13yr old daughter is playing, and is doing the learn to play program. I’m not sure I could be a more proud as a Father than I am now.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
'Krill the thrill' gets 9M for five years.........this signing seems surreal to me after one good shortened year.
What does this signing do to the many other unsigned RFA's negotiations?
D-Cat had more goals,same assists and became a reliable two-way winger who killed penalties along the way. He also already has three outstanding offensive seasons under his belt(should be four!)......what's he worth now?
Is Patrick Kane now a value for the next two years?
Is a healthy JT worth every penny now if he's the player we saw the last time he took the ice?

Last edited:

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Yeah I was just going to post this because of the off season talk about folks wanting to go after him. Very strange.

Can he even play? With his surgery in question it’s hard to believe if anyone trades for him Eichel, it may not pay of for a few years or looking closer at the situation it will be a huge gamble.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can he even play? With his surgery in question it’s hard to believe if anyone trades for him Eichel, it may not pay of for a few years or looking closer at the situation it will be a huge gamble.
Buy low. He isn’t happy and doesn’t want to give them ice time, simply timing his surgery to get paid leave and contract burn.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I just got done with a hockey extravaganza this weekend. My oldest played Saturday, and they lost 3-0. He had another solid game on Defence, but was called for interference which was a 50/50 call. Had a better game clearing the zone and had a few rushes on his own.

Today my youngest played 2 Squirt game than a Pee-Wee game all in a row. 1st game he played LW and was all over the place and I mean all over the place. He had some good back checks and started a few rushes, but he needs to understand he doesn’t need to skate to the other side chasing the puck. His 2nd game he played Centre which suits him better I personally think. He has the freedom to skate all over, I feel it suits him naturally cause he wants to play Offense and defense. He loves to back check, but at times he pulls up when he knows he has the speed to out skate almost everyone on the ice, but he is 9 and it will come with time.

3rd game my boys got to play on the same team. My youngest again played Centre and played well considering he moved up a level. He won some face offs had a breakaway and stopped a few rushes. My oldest played a real solid game on the backend. Looked a lot more comfortable in his own zone. He led a few rushes which was really cool to see, and clanged one off the pipe which was awesome to see. He cleared the zone real well and only had a couple of bad passes.

4th game my oldest was moved up to Bantam to help out. It was a totally different animal for him. Kids were faster and the game processed real fast for him. He played d-man than in 2nd and 3rd played wing. He finally got comfortable in the 3rd period, and he came away with alot of areas he told me he needed to work on for that level.

It was a great weekend at the rink, and I can’t wait for next weekend round of games.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
4th game my oldest was moved up to Bantam to help out. It was a totally different animal for him. Kids were faster and the game processed real fast for him. He played d-man than in 2nd and 3rd played wing. He finally got comfortable in the 3rd period, and he came away with alot of areas he told me he needed to work on for that level.

It was a great weekend at the rink, and I can’t wait for next weekend round of games.

Moving up was probably the best thing for him. It shows him what it takes to get to and excel at the next level. Sounds like he didn't look out of place.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
GREAT news! Ekblad skates 24+ for the Cats in the PS opener and Lucas Carlsson skates 18+ for Q in the 2nd game.....interesting.
Does Carlsson join Kempny,Rutta,Joker and Forsling on the list of cast-off D-men helping other teams?
Does 20 yro Boqvist join this list next year with proper coaching or is he just ANOTHER puny,wasted 1st round pick by a failed GM?

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Season opener in Washington on the 13th will be must see TV.....

Last edited:

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Moving up was probably the best thing for him. It shows him what it takes to get to and excel at the next level. Sounds like he didn't look out of place.
Yeah it was. Today he worked on his shot for about 2 hours trying to get more torque behind it. I showed him a way to generate more power in it. He comes running up the stairs saying Dad look at the wall. I put so many dings in the wood.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Season opener in Washington on the 13th will be must see TV.....

People hate players like Wilson and Tkachuk (Matthew), but honestly, I'd give almost anything to have either one of those guys on the Hawks.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
People hate players like Wilson and Tkachuk (Matthew), but honestly, I'd give almost anything to have either one of those guys on the Hawks.
Yup!

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
No doubt, as much shit as Wilson caused, I bet you, all his teamates are more than happy he still plays on the same team.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Another weekend of games for my kids. My oldest son found out that he made the Pee Wee Select team, and will be getting extra practices, games, and a couple of tournaments in 22. He was super stoked about making it, as last year he didn’t.

For games my oldest played 2 this weekend 1 today, and 1 yesterday. The game yesterday was rather interesting. We played a club that has a USHL team at the top of its program. Arena was nice to play at, for the game it was a lot closer than I expected. Our club only does 1 practice a week, and most the other clubs we play do 2. My son did a real solid job clearing the zone and started doing stretch passes to his forwards to spring them. From this we had a lot of breakaways and were able to score a few from it. We’re it got interesting was during the 3rd, something happened along the boards near center ice. All of a sudden I see my sons d partner punching another kid in the back of the head. Game was fairly physical for a non checking game, and refs were content letting these kids hit each other, so I was not surprised this happened. It ended up screwing us though cause kid got a match penalty and we were left with only 2 d-man for the last 8 minutes. Naturally both my so and the other kid ran out of gas, and the other team was able to break away and put 4 on us. 2 were on our d-man the other ones if the goalie actually tried he would have made the save. This goalie is a big kid, but has 0 movement and just stands rarely goes to butterfly, and if he does it takes him awhile to get back up.

For today came my son goal was not to get caught flat footed. He only got twice but it was in the 3rd and it was towards the end of his shift. Today he looked like one of the fastest kids on the ice, and he stands at 5’6 without skates on, so when he is moving it is really noticeable. We played the same team today, and they had a breakaway my son was on the opposite side of the boards and caught this kid and stopped a breakaway. Kid got pissed and slashed the shit out of my kid on his knee area, has a nice bruise above the knee from it. They couldn’t gain entry on my sons side so they would go to the other side. Him and his d partner noticed it and started swapping every other shift. We had the lead going in the 3rd again, but ran out of juice.

Youngest I only caught the first 2 periods, but he was all over the ice. He started playing his position and not chasing the puck. Did a really good job maintaining his position and staying where he needed to be. I think practicing with the pee wee team is really helping him. He needs to unleash his speed as his edge work his really good for his age, but sometimes he coasts. He ended up getting an apple towards the end of the game on a rebound shot found his buddy on back side. I wish I could have caught the 3rd, but I had to get my oldest to Marietta for his game.

My daughter got the ok to join the pee wee team, and we are going to see if she can try goalie. Pee Wee only have 1 goalie for 2 teams, and honestly I thinks she would put in way more effort than the kid we have now.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Wow, I can't believe the Sens are paying Brady Tkachuk that contract. He's a solid player, I'd love to have him on the Hawks, but 8 million cap hit per year for a guy who's really done nothing at the NHL level other than barely break the 20-goal mark a couple times and has never seen one playoff game? That's even more than his brother Matthew makes, who I would take over him any day of the week. I guess the Sens couldn't afford to lose him in the end, so in a way, you can't blame them, but damn that's a lot for a guy who hasn't done much.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wow, I can't believe the Sens are paying Brady Tkachuk that contract. He's a solid player, I'd love to have him on the Hawks, but 8 million cap hit per year for a guy who's really done nothing at the NHL level other than barely break the 20-goal mark a couple times and has never seen one playoff game? That's even more than his brother Matthew makes, who I would take over him any day of the week. I guess the Sens couldn't afford to lose him in the end, so in a way, you can't blame them, but damn that's a lot for a guy who hasn't done much.
I thought all hell might break loose after 'Kirill the Thrill' got 9M after just 55 big league starts and Suzuki got 7.875M to go along with his 28 career goals. What is D-Cat gonna want?

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:

Arizona go their first win last night.

Scott Wedgewood came back three years later and halted an 11 game season opening skid…AGAIN.

Tied for 2nd longest winless streak to open a season EVER and the same random nobody goalie stopped it at 11 TWICE & a few years apart.

The first time he did it, AZ had just picked him up from NJ. And this time? AZ had just picked him up from NJ.

Twilight Zone.