OT. Around the rink talk

Bigbarn27

Liked Posts:
Tough slash call for Vegas very ifffy. And just terrible end for Habs game.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tough slash call for Vegas very ifffy. And just terrible end for Habs game.

Yeah, that called was very iffy for O.T.
And that hit on Evans was the worst I've seen in a long time.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I hate slash calls like that, honestly. The guy had one hand on the stick, the stick doesn't even break. Shitty way to end a fantastic game, even though I'm rooting for the Avs. Grubauer was insane. Nice to see Saad doing well, think that's 5 straight playoff games with a goal.

The Schieffele hit is a tough one in my view. It reminds me of Graves' hit on Janmark, which was not suspended. The initial point of contact is the chest. It wasn't directly to the head and his elbow was down. Schieffele has no history of suspension to boot. It's a frantic situation and he's trying to save a goal. The real question is: did he know the goal was a forgone conclusion just before delivering the hit? Habs will certainly think so. Was it a definitive blind-side? He was hit in the chest, but his head was turned.

This is a tough one. I would not object to giving him one to two games, but it wouldn't necessarily surprise me if he isn't suspended. There is no way to prove his intent, but I do think Scheiffele knew the goal was already going in. He did charge, but what's he supposed to do when his team is down a goal? Lollygag to the puck carrier? It is a bit of a catch-22 for Scheiffele, but there is a moment where he could have stepped on the brakes a bit, but he doesn't -- just like Pionk does, who was going just as fast. You can see, Pionk steps on the brakes and goes for the puck.

So in summation, I do think Scheiffele should be suspended at least one game. The good thing is Evans is not in the hospital.

Last edited:

Granada

Liked Posts:

I was just thinking: when was the last time we've seen two players stretchered off the ice if the first two rounds of the playoffs? It's obviously a more cautious approach by the medical staff to immobilize a player in this day and age (understandably), but still, I can't remember that ever happening. Really weird how Montreal was involved in both hits too.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I was just thinking: when was the last time we've seen two players stretchered off the ice if the first two rounds of the playoffs? It's obviously a more cautious approach by the medical staff to immobilize a player in this day and age (understandably), but still, I can't remember that ever happening. Really weird how Montreal was involved in both hits too.
Did Faulk skate off under his own power after Kadri destroyed him?

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
That hit on Evans was absolutely ridiculous, dangerous and a total disregard for your professional peers. Yes, it’s a sport and vying for the cup puts you in another state of mind, but reckless and totally un necessary hits like this should result in a minimum 10 game suspension.

Bigbarn27

Liked Posts:
Glad Evans is ok. I like Schieffele alot this is the part that is so hard for these guys. He wants to make a statement
no free goals playoff hockey bla bla bla. Evans know he is coming and does nothing to protect himself. but i would figure at least 2 if the league wants to make a statement alot more

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That hit on Evans was absolutely ridiculous, dangerous and a total disregard for your professional peers. Yes, it’s a sport and vying for the cup puts you in another state of mind, but reckless and totally un necessary hits like this should result in a minimum 10 game suspension.

Looks like he got 4 games. In the replay, you can see he made no attempt at all to play the puck.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Looks like he got 4 games. In the replay, you can see he made no attempt at all to play the puck.
I'm surprised he got that many. I feel like 4 games (playoff games, to boot) for a guy with no history of suspensions is excessive; I'm sure I'll be in the minority there, but what else is new. I don't like how the league is dropping the hammer on the guy for playing the body instead of the puck -- every single player who plays the game and who throws a check has the option to either play the man or the puck. Many checks are thrown with the sole intent to play the body only, and not the puck.

This is a contact sport. So, if that's the crux of their reasoning, I don't like it. Call it predatory; call it excessive charging; call it targeting -- fine. But to use that as the main point of their argument was stupid and opens a Pandora's box for any future check thrown, as again, the player has always had the option to play the puck or the man (at least, they used to before this ruling). Are there certain situations now where the player always has to play the puck?

The hit was excessive and warranted a suspension -- I agree with that. But I disagree with the crux of their ruling.

Last edited:

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm surprised he got that many. I feel like 4 games (playoff games, to boot) for a guy with no history of suspensions is excessive; I'm sure I'll be in the minority there, but what else is new. I don't like how the league is dropping the hammer on the guy for playing the body instead of the puck -- every single player who plays the game and who throws a check has the option to either play the man or the puck. Many checks are thrown with the sole intent to play the body only, and not the puck.

This is a contact sport. So, if that's the crux of their reasoning, I don't like it. Call it predatory; call it excessive charging; call it targeting -- fine. But to use that as the main point of their argument was stupid and opens a Pandora's box for any future check thrown, as again, the player has always had the option to play the puck or the man (at least, they used to before this ruling). Are there certain situations now where the player always has to play the puck?

The hit was excessive and warranted a suspension -- I agree with that. But I disagree with the crux of their ruling.
I thought two woulda been right with the absence of history. The thing about playing the puck in this instance is,it might have actually saved that goal.......the hit afterward was pure frustration over the goal that clinched it.

Bigbarn27

Liked Posts:
its a quick game I think in his mind he already made up his mind to go with the hit instead of poking at the puck kinda hard to change gears in an instance .
Hope it goes 6 or 7 games

Granada

Liked Posts:
I thought two woulda been right with the absence of history. The thing about playing the puck in this instance is,it might have actually saved that goal.......the hit afterward was pure frustration over the goal that clinched it.

I'm not so sure about that, honestly. It's a split second decision; he barely got that puck in before he was trainwrecked to boot. I really don't think it was malicious. The Jets are down only a goal, they just scored, and there was close to a minute left (which is a lot of time with the sixth attacker) -- I just think Scheiffele was acting more on urgency than maliciousness. But it is what it is now -- just another ruling I disagree with by the NHL, ho-hum.

Really shocked how subpar the Avs have played the last 3 games. They better thank their lucky stars they have home-ice in the series, because at this point, it may be their only saving grace.

Bigbarn27

Liked Posts:
Yeah I was down for that only going 5 games ooopps . Knights just keep coming should be a good 3 games

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
I'm not so sure about that, honestly. It's a split second decision; he barely got that puck in before he was trainwrecked to boot. I really don't think it was malicious. The Jets are down only a goal, they just scored, and there was close to a minute left (which is a lot of time with the sixth attacker) -- I just think Scheiffele was acting more on urgency than maliciousness. But it is what it is now -- just another ruling I disagree with by the NHL, ho-hum.

Really shocked how subpar the Avs have played the last 3 games. They better thank their lucky stars they have home-ice in the series, because at this point, it may be their only saving grace.
Granada, maliciousness or not, hits like that do not belong in the game. Disagree all you want, he bull charged Evans, because he was a poor sport, the Habs were handing it to them and he couldn’t take it You mentioned urgency, what urgency? Evans was behind the net for a wrap around, it was a disgusting hit, I am very pleased that it cost his team pretty much the series. Scheiffele knew exactly what he was doing, never attempted to slow down, ease up, he steam rolled the guy,

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
If it was Pat Kane, everyone in here would be losing there fucking mind. 4 was not even enough. Schiefele was behind the play, had zero chance of stopping Evans, he pinpointed him behind the net and smoked Evans when he came around, it was an empty net, no way the Jets were going to stop that goal. As you said it, it was pure frustration, it was predatory hit, uncalled for the league made the right decision.

Bigbarn27

Liked Posts:
90% of hits in the playoffs are predatory no one is playing the puck. Im sorry but if Evans braces for impact we are
not talking about any of this.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Of Danault at 4 mil means jettisoning the offensive black hole known lovingly as Kampf off this team, sign me up.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Granada, maliciousness or not, hits like that do not belong in the game. Disagree all you want, he bull charged Evans, because he was a poor sport, the Habs were handing it to them and he couldn’t take it You mentioned urgency, what urgency? Evans was behind the net for a wrap around, it was a disgusting hit, I am very pleased that it cost his team pretty much the series. Scheiffele knew exactly what he was doing, never attempted to slow down, ease up, he steam rolled the guy,

If you watch it, he's gliding all the way, or at least from the blue line in. There are no strides taken. Listen, it was an ugly hit, but it happens. Could he have let up on the guy? Yeah, probably, but when you're down a goal and desperate, you're going to full speed in order to prevent losing the game -- this is the playoffs. The urgency was in preventing the nail in the coffin. If they were up by two goals and there was like 15 seconds left in the game, I'd agree, but it wasn't.

Granada

Liked Posts:
If it was Pat Kane, everyone in here would be losing there fucking mind. 4 was not even enough. Schiefele was behind the play, had zero chance of stopping Evans, he pinpointed him behind the net and smoked Evans when he came around, it was an empty net, no way the Jets were going to stop that goal. As you said it, it was pure frustration, it was predatory hit, uncalled for the league made the right decision.

But if it was Debrincat who threw the hit, everyone would be downplaying it.