AR just became more reasonable.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
only reason i labeled this off topic is because it’s not realistic for the bears to be players. they would have to gut the roster to afford him.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
If the Falcons are willing to eat the $30M+ of dead money that comes with trading Ryan then he becomes an interesting option depending on price. If traded he basically has a 3 year/$80M contract with very little dead money to the team that trades for him - he would be an upgrade for a lot of teams that also comes with the financial flexibility to move on any season after 2021 with minimal financial penalty. Or maybe im misreading his contract.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
You know Shanahan's pounding the table for Julio.

DeerBrinker34

Liked Posts:
I bet Matt Ryan ends up in New England or San Francisco.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I heard the interview Blank gave on the local news. He said he wouldn't hamstring a new staff by dictating their moves. I think this is #FakeNews

Brownie

Liked Posts:
I'm against anything that takes trading away more draft picks. We've done that enough the past x amount of years.

The guys in charge need to earn their money: draft and develop the talent we need at the most important positions.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
I suppose, if the Bears cut 1/2 their roster, they could afford those two.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
If the Falcons are willing to eat the $30M+ of dead money that comes with trading Ryan then he becomes an interesting option

That basically cutting him, which they aren't offering. They are saying trade, which suggests you take the contract. Now they may eat some money, like what happened with Foles, but they aren't paying 30 million for you to take Ryan off their hands.

And it is going to cost draft capital. For a 35 year old QB, that statistically, was outperformed by Trubisky this year. Yes that will make people cringe, but Ryan had plenty of bad games this year. Not everybody gets to pull a Brady and play into their 40s.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
That basically cutting him, which they aren't offering. They are saying trade, which suggests you take the contract. Now they may eat some money, like what happened with Foles, but they aren't paying 30 million for you to take Ryan off their hands.

And it is going to cost draft capital. For a 35 year old QB, that statistically, was outperformed by Trubisky this year. Yes that will make people cringe, but Ryan had plenty of bad games this year. Not everybody gets to pull a Brady and play into their 40s.

When you trade someone, you don't get to move the cap hit from the signing bonus to the next team. Any money your team has already paid to the player stays on your teams salary cap. RYans contract has $18.6m of signing bonus left (spread out over the next 2 years) , and $19.8M of "restructure" AKA moving salary to signing bonus after signing to create cap space in 1 year over the next 3 years . These parts of the contract stay on ATLs cap no matter if they keep, trade, or cut Ryan.

The team that trades for Ryan only pays his base Salary, Roster Bonuses, Any "option" salary, and incentives. Ryans combined total for those are 2021 - $25M, 2022 - $27M, 2023 - $30M.

But you're right that the big question is going to be cost to acquire (i mentioned this in my post). It's probably not worth it to the Bears to give up multiple day 1/day 2 picks to get him. We also don't know what the 2021 cap will be, but its very likely Bears would need to clear cap to afford Ryan - that's another price to consider.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Thanks for the clarification.

Even if we wanted him, I don't think Ryan would want to come here. We aren't big FA draw for QBs right now.

It would be nice to instantly upgrade the QB position, but I think the Bears are going to have to do it the old fashioned way, by drafting a QB.

10veitout

Liked Posts:
Ryan will go to the Niners.

Not a good fit for the Bears, too much dough.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
When healthy, Julio Jones is probably the best WR in the NFL. Only problem is that he's almost never healthy.

Matt Ryan will probably end up in SF. Perfect landing spot for him to be reunited with Shanahan.

Bust

Liked Posts:
ALL IN RYAN FITZPATRICK!!!!