1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Interesting stuff in here. Including Kitna predicting they would go 0-16:

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kinda damming of the Caldwell regime, I was a bit shocked at that (not the front office stuff). I thought the Lions wanting some of the signing bonus money back was pretty petty as well. But, if Khali Mack were to retire after this year, would the Bears let him keep it?

For what it is worth, CJ rejects the argument that he was responsible for Matt Stafford's stats, the two are still good friends, and he claims Stafford is as much responsible for his success as he is responsible for Stafford's success.

At least the Lions cleaned house in the front office after CJ retired.

Tostada

Liked Posts:
I love it, he healed with pot, and he told the Lions to go fuck themselves.

Reactions: DC

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
After reading that article I laughed really hard at the idea that Calvin Johnson might not be HoF worthy. Then it hit me, there actually are people that think he wouldn't just because he could have had more production. IMO, the man is clearly not only a HoFer but is also deserving of first ballot honors as well. You can probably count on one hand the number of division rival players I would ever say that about. He was simply that rare breed of a person. A classy game changer that retired the GOAT.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Kinda damming of the Caldwell regime, I was a bit shocked at that (not the front office stuff). I thought the Lions wanting some of the signing bonus money back was pretty petty as well. But, if Khali Mack were to retire after this year, would the Bears let him keep it?

For what it is worth, CJ rejects the argument that he was responsible for Matt Stafford's stats, the two are still good friends, and he claims Stafford is as much responsible for his success as he is responsible for Stafford's success.

At least the Lions cleaned house in the front office after CJ retired.

That was your takeaway from that article?

The Mack v Johnson comparison isn't even close to being sane, more or less reasonable. One guy spent his entire career toiling under ineptitude, the other became the highest paid player at his position for 2 years and skips out (in your fantasy)? Yeah, that's an apt comparison.

Who gives a shit about Stafford's stats? What does that have to do with this?

The Burning Bear

Liked Posts:
Also interesting that we have "headcases" constantly getting suspended for marijuana use, then CJ, one of the most famous receivers in recent history, just casually comes out and talks about how he smoked weed after every game and there were opioids being passed around like candy. Oh, and also the Lions pressured him to cover up a concussion he experienced during a game.

None of that is crazy or groundbreaking, but I didn't expect it to be spelled out so explicitly lol.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Also interesting that we have "headcases" constantly getting suspended for marijuana use, then CJ, one of the most famous receivers in recent history, just casually comes out and talks about how he smoked weed after every game and there were opioids being passed around like candy. Oh, and also the Lions pressured him to cover up a concussion he experienced during a game.

None of that is crazy or groundbreaking, but I didn't expect it to be spelled out so explicitly lol.

There is a ton of looking the other way going on by both the league and fans if we are being honest.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
After reading that article I laughed really hard at the idea that Calvin Johnson might not be HoF worthy. Then it hit me, there actually are people that think he wouldn't just because he could have had more production. IMO, the man is clearly not only a HoFer but is also deserving of first ballot honors as well. You can probably count on one hand the number of division rival players I would ever say that about. He was simply that rare breed of a person. A classy game changer that retired the GOAT.
LOL, seriously. CJ is easily a HoFer. The only two WRs I can even rank ahead of him are Rice and Fitzgerald, and he isn't far behind Fitz.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That was your takeaway from that article?

The Mack v Johnson comparison isn't even close to being sane, more or less reasonable. One guy spent his entire career toiling under ineptitude, the other became the highest paid player at his position for 2 years and skips out (in your fantasy)? Yeah, that's an apt comparison.

Who gives a shit about Stafford's stats? What does that have to do with this?

What does that have to do with it? It was in the article moron.

Last I checked, the Bears looked a little inept of late as well. How many points have they scored? Be a pity to see a player of Mack's ability wasting his prime years on the Bears (sound familiar?)

The comparison would be years left on their contract, but I know that is a little difficult for you to grasp. It's not as if the Lions were underpaying Johnson, so cry me a river, he was the highest paid receiver in the league at the time, and it wasn't even close. So much so ( https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2019...ve-contract-finally-topped-by-michael-thomas/ ) it took seven years for someone to break it.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
What does that have to do with it? It was in the article moron.

Last I checked, the Bears looked a little inept of late as well. How many points have they scored? Be a pity to see a player of Mack's ability wasting his prime years on the Bears (sound familiar?)

The comparison would be years left on their contract, but I know that is a little difficult for you to grasp. It's not as if the Lions were underpaying Johnson, so cry me a river, he was the highest paid receiver in the league at the time, and it wasn't even close. So much so ( https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2019...ve-contract-finally-topped-by-michael-thomas/ ) it took seven years for someone to break it.

0-16 inept? No.

Why would "years left on their contract" be "the comparison?" Johnson walked away with almost 13 mil that was payed to him for services that weren't provided; Mack's number would be 44 mil, if he were to walk away at the end of the year.

Excellent comparison...

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
Stafford didn’t miss a beat without him when Johnson missed time. The Lions also won more games with about the same offensive numbers after he left. The Lions passing numbers were no better his rookie season than the year before.

Only four top five seasons. His best season was a product of throwing the ball more times than any other in NFL history. Only 30th all time in yards. Consistently dominated by Tillman.

Overrated player.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I don't know, I just still find it amusing how that franchise makes players that are among the best ever at their respective positions retire in their primes because they just kind of roughly lose the will to live. (metaphor)

granted that's only 2 people, but I think it's enough to make a case for how sorry the Lions were, are, and probably always will be.

Reactions: DC

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
0-16 inept? No.

Why would "years left on their contract" be "the comparison?" Johnson walked away with almost 13 mil that was payed to him for services that weren't provided; Mack's number would be 44 mil, if he were to walk away at the end of the year.

Excellent comparison...

Ok I will get my crayons out and draw you a picture...........

Calvin Johnson signed a 7 year deal, March 2012. He retired after the 2015 Season. That's only 3 years played on the 7 year contract he signed. 4 years left that he didn't fulfill.

Khali Mack signed a 6 year contract. If he were to retire after this year he too would have 4 years left on his contract that he didn't fulfill.

The question I asked was if anyone thought the Bears might try to recoup any of the 32 million in pro-rated signing bonus + restructure bonus back, if Mack were to up and decide to retire after this year. Or hell, any of the 21.8 mil signing bonus if he decided to retire after the 2020 year.

By your explanation, or at least what I can make of it is, 13 mil isn't significant, but 32 mil is. So when does the number become significant is the question?

And for the record, CJ was never asked to pay back the 13 mil, he only was asked to pay back 1.6 mil, which is less than 10%. What is also left out of the conversation is that the Lions made CJ he highest paid WR in the league, a number that stood for 7 years. Did I agree with the move the Lions made? No, but I do believe it is blown way out of proportion.

As for CJ "wasting away" his career tolling on the hapless Lions, he is the one that choose to sign that contract, you know, the one that made him the highest paid WR in the league? No one held a gun to his head, he could have went into FA and signed for less with another team he if choose too.

I get that he is bitter, every athlete wants a chance to win it all. But even CJ says "maybe" he would have stayed longer if the Lions were a better team. Maybe. he also claims to suffered 9 concussions, numerous leg, knee, and ankle injuries, not to mention a hand that is completely messed up, so to think injuries weren't a factor, and CJ was completely healthy is ignorant.

Last edited:

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't know, I just still find it amusing how that franchise makes players that are among the best ever at their respective positions retire in their primes because they just kind of roughly lose the will to live. (metaphor)

granted that's only 2 people, but I think it's enough to make a case for how sorry the Lions were, are, and probably always will be.

You make it out as if it has only happened to the Lions. There are more than a handful of players that have walked away from the game in their prime.

You want to talk about Barry Sanders, but what about Jim Brown? Barry played 10-16 game seasons, while Brown played 9 12 game seasons. But yeah, losing Barry hurt, CJ couldn't hold Barry's jock strap, the best Rb to ever play the game, bar none. The Lions didn't miss a beat when CJ retired.

Last edited:

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Bear in mind that CJ has an agenda, as he is an owner of a cannabis business, so his take on the Pot vs opioids is a little bit slanted. That said I have no issue what-so-ever with NFL players using pot to deal with injuries, a much safer option that Opioids.