Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Not bad for Denver.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
Well we all knew that the league would somehow gift GM Lebron a center and sure enough they are going to.

I still don't think this puts them over the top in the East but this is a bigger improvement than the Shumpert trade if it goes down.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
i don't think its a bad deal for Cleveland either

basically Waiters+Grizzles 1st for Mozgov, Shumpert, JR

Diddy1122

Liked Posts:
i don't think its a bad deal for Cleveland either

basically Waiters+Grizzles 1st for Mozgov, Shumpert, JR

Well it killed any chance of them restocking their old ass bench with controlled rookie contracts for the next few years.

Plus now look at the list of FA's for them after this season: Basically the whole bench, plus Shumpert is RFA, Thompson is RFA, Love is UFA, & Lebron can opt out (though I doubt he does). That's going to be a lot of $$ they are going to have to spend to keep all of them together, which could kill their depth even more without the drafts picks. I mean we'll see how this all comes together but this could hurt them down the road.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Well it killed any chance of them restocking their old ass bench with controlled rookie contracts for the next few years.

Plus now look at the list of FA's for them after this season: Basically the whole bench, plus Shumpert is RFA, Thompson is RFA, Love is UFA, & Lebron can opt out (though I doubt he does). That's going to be a lot of $$ they are going to have to spend to keep all of them together, which could kill their depth even more without the drafts picks. I mean we'll see how this all comes together but this could hurt them down the road.

it could turn out bad but on surface its not bad

addressed 2 needs and got a wildcard in JR

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

Cavs are banking on the hope that veteran players want to come play for Cleveland on the cheap to win a title. Its basically the whole Miami scenario again.

What helps stop that though would be Cleveland massively failing early in the playoffs this year and us having a tremendous amount of success.

Diddy1122

Liked Posts:
it could turn out bad (any trade could) but on surface its not bad

addressed 2 needs and got a wildcard in JR

Oh I'm not knocking it. This is a better trade than the Shumpert one, albeit they lost 2 1st rounders, but they filled their biggest need which was a starting C. Though honestly, I think Denver made out in this trade because NO ONE was going to give up 2 1st round picks for this guy.

czman

Liked Posts:
Mozgov is probably a good backup center or a below average starter. He is not a good jump shooter so I wonder how him a Thompson will play together. Neither of them shoot real well so I don't know how well they can play together. Obviously Love will chew a lot of minutes and that will provide floor spacing when Love is on the court, but I am not sure the Cavs can avoid putting Thompson and Mozgov on the floor at the same time. That seems like it will clog up the driving lanes hurt floor spacing.

The Cavs seem a bit rudderless with these moves. The Cavs need a center and Mosgov is a center, but I kind of question how he will fit into that lineup. Thompson has played well for the Cavs and provides a redundant skill set.

This should be interesting.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Mozgov would have been Denver's 3rd string center, if McGee wasn't hurt. His stats are inflated, and he isn't very reliable. Cleveland basically got a filler in hopes of him salvaging their depth woes. IMO, they're going to be disappointed. Denver sold high, and possibly gave Mozgov that opportunity to raise his stock for the purpose of trading him. Remember when the Bulls were in talks for him, and that fell through? That's because they saw right through it. Bulls have among the best scouts in the NBA.

But hey. I'm all for Cleveland making bad long-term moves. They are looking for things that look good on paper, and that will fool a lot of sports-writers and fans. But things that look good on paper thinking is just video game GM mentality. If they have any other assets on the table, I hope they get rid of them too. Maybe more future draft picks? lol

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Mozgov would have been Denver's 3rd string center, if McGee wasn't hurt. His stats are inflated, and he isn't very reliable. Cleveland basically got a filler in hopes of him salvaging their depth woes. IMO, they're going to be disappointed. Denver sold high, and possibly gave Mozgov that opportunity to raise his stock for the purpose of trading him. Remember when the Bulls were in talks for him, and that fell through? That's because they saw right through it. Bulls have among the best scouts in the NBA.

But hey. I'm all for Cleveland making bad long-term moves. They are looking for things that look good on paper, and that will fool a lot of sports-writers and fans. But things that look good on paper thinking is just video game GM mentality. If they have any other assets on the table, I hope they get rid of them too. Maybe more future draft picks? lol
Why do I get the feel LeBron is playing a lot of NBA 2k in his off time?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Why do I get the feel LeBron is playing a lot of NBA 2k in his off time?

We need to inflate Snell's ego, get him a huge PR campaign, and get him to inflate his stats. Theres about 5 teams that would bite and give us a nice return.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
This is a solid move I guess considering the circumstances for cleveland right now but I still don't think it's enough with the other moves to get them back to the championship position. So in that circumstances they really need to look at long term support and development which those picks are going to be important. They'd be better off stockpiling picks for the future than tyring to patch things around bronbron, but I don't think he's patient for that.

Diddy1122

Liked Posts:

Eaxctly. The reason the Lebron-Varejao pick-n-roll was used on 65% of their plays was becuase Andy could actually knock down a 15 foot shot. Thompson and Mozgov don't have that ability at all so it will be interesting to see how their pick-n-roll works now when Lebron gets back.

Also, Mozgov has never played over 25mpg in his career. Him out there for 30+ is going to be disastrous for them I think.

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Is there any possibility that K Love does not go back next year. That would mean they don't have to pay him, along with other expiring contracts. Will the Cave then have money to play with to get spoke decent youth through FA.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Tristan Thompson is a legit player. Young, improving every year. I honestly don't see why they need to make rash moves to improve the core team. As mentioned, enough ring chasers will go to Cleveland in the off-season, and including waiver-wire guys.

Diddy1122

Liked Posts:
Is there any possibility that K Love does not go back next year. That would mean they don't have to pay him, along with other expiring contracts. Will the Cave then have money to play with to get spoke decent youth through FA.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Currently, the Cavs have the 3rd highest payroll in the league at $82mill. They have Smith & Miller who have player options that equal out to around $9.5mill together, both of which I expect these guys to pick up. Then there are the team options for Mozgov & Haywood, though I fully expect Haywood to be cut because there's no way they are paying him $10mill to sit on the bench. Mozgov's option is for $4.5mill so I expect that to be picked up, unless he's absolutely terrible.

After that, they have Shumpert & Thompson, both are RFA's who could have a sizeable cap hit depedning on the market. The Cavs could be looking at paying them anywhere from $7-$10mill per season depedning on the market. Then you have UFA Dellavadova, who I think will get a raise to the $2-3mill range as he's secured that backup PG spot. And last but not least, Irving's extension begins with him making $14.7mill next year.

So if Love leaves & none of Shumpert, Thompson, Mozgov, or Dellavadova are kept, they are sitting at around $61mill in salary, which I believe is still over the cap right now though that could change next season. So basically, in any scenario, the Cavs will only have exceptions to fill out their roster regardless of what happens.

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Currently, the Cavs have the 3rd highest payroll in the league at $82mill. They have Smith & Miller who have player options that equal out to around $9.5mill together, both of which I expect these guys to pick up. Then there are the team options for Mozgov & Haywood, though I fully expect Haywood to be cut because there's no way they are paying him $10mill to sit on the bench. Mozgov's option is for $4.5mill so I expect that to be picked up, unless he's absolutely terrible.

After that, they have Shumpert & Thompson, both are RFA's who could have a sizeable cap hit depedning on the market. The Cavs could be looking at paying them anywhere from $7-$10mill per season depedning on the market. Then you have UFA Dellavadova, who I think will get a raise to the $2-3mill range as he's secured that backup PG spot. And last but not least, Irving's extension begins with him making $14.7mill next year.

So if Love leaves & none of Shumpert, Thompson, Mozgov, or Dellavadova are kept, they are sitting at around $61mill in salary, which I believe is still over the cap right now though that could change next season. So basically, in any scenario, the Cavs will only have exceptions to fill out their roster regardless of what happens.

Thank you for that info. I was not aware it was that bad.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Cleveland is now becoming the Miami Heat of a couple of years ago. Trouble is who in their right mind would want to give up money to play in a cold cesspool versus a warm cesspool?