OT - Clowney Turns Down Browns

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
For someone that wants to get paid he's also pretty damn picky! Anyway, he's a decent player. My bet is that he'll be back in Seattle. Seemed to have a role with them and liked it there. I heard Philly was in the mix, but I know they don't have any cash for that type of a luxury expense.

I think he's got a serious case of Rodney Dangerfield. Constantly thinking that he gets no respect, when truthfully he's a DE who's best at run support when top DEs get paid for pressures/sacks.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
For someone that wants to get paid he's also pretty damn picky! Anyway, he's a decent player. My bet is that he'll be back in Seattle. Seemed to have a role with them and liked it there. I heard Philly was in the mix, but I know they don't have any cash for that type of a luxury expense.

I think he's got a serious case of Rodney Dangerfield. Constantly thinking that he gets no respect, when truthfully he's a DE who's best at run support when top DEs get paid for pressures/sacks.
There's something to be said for your second paragraph, but you know someone is gonna shell out. I wouldn't be anti browns in his position, the reason I'd turn them down is for having to live in Cleveland.

Some team in a bigger city will give him a similar enough offer.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:

So he has Leonard Floyd syndrome

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
You get an identical offer from the Browns and the Lions, what do you do?

If I was in the NFL I would no doubt be a hall of fame player so I'd go Cleveland to avoid having to retire early after being mentally broken.

msadows

Liked Posts:

Dunno where you are getting all your opinions on DE's outside chi/phi, but Clowney is a beast. I would take him on the bears in an instant.

He had as many pressures as mack did in 2018. Obviously, yes, you get paid to finish and get sacks, but pressures and hurries lead to turnovers as well.

Literally the 2nd most double teamed Edge rusher in the NFL. And only 3 guys win more often than he did.

ELnLgo-WsAA8Ob0

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Dunno where you are getting all your opinions on DE's outside chi/phi, but Clowney is a beast. I would take him on the bears in an instant.

He had as many pressures as mack did in 2018. Obviously, yes, you get paid to finish and get sacks, but pressures and hurries lead to turnovers as well.

Literally the 2nd most double teamed Edge rusher in the NFL. And only 3 guys win more often than he did.

ELnLgo-WsAA8Ob0
In the other thread I touched on this. The chart that was created should be looked at with a grain of salt and with football all stats have to be questioned a bit. Double teams can often come by scheme when teams do more DE/DT stunts. I'd add, players that do more bull rush will be more prone to double team statistics because when a guard doesn't have someone in front of them it's easy for them to help out the OT if the DE is trying to win with power as opposed to speed on the outside.

Let's focus on Clowney. I watched probably 12 Seattle games last year (wife is a fan) after wanting the Eagles to move on him. I passively watched him in Houston, but honestly I was more operating off of film study in the Eagle gameday preparation shows. To me he is a more athletic Brandon Graham. They look very different, but their core value is stuffing the run and collapsing the pocket with a bull rush.

Graham is the 22nd most expensive edge rusher in the NFL when looking at $/year. Graham has become a FA twice while with the Eagles. One time he was a FA, checked the market, then came back as a 3-4 OLB while Chip Kelly was here. The other time was after he caused the Superbowl winning strip sack of Tom Brady, so both sides came together. Both times it wasn't like the Eagles were bidding against anyone. Those bull rush/run defending DEs have hard times getting that top tier money. IMHO that's what Clowney is going through. He wants top tier money, but the market isn't seeing him as that type of player.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

ELnLgo-WsAA8Ob0

It is hard to tell from the graph but he was 7th in PRWR not 4th.

But he doesn't seem to convert pressures into sacks at the rate of other elite pass rushers which drags down his value IMO. Some of that may be due to the double teams but others that also get doubled seem to have more success in that regard.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Let's just focus the chart that's being referenced a lot lately.

According to that chart the 5 best pass rushers in the NFL should be Quinn, Garrett, Lawrence, Clowney and Smith.

Do you really think those are the top 5 pass rushers in the NFL? Those guys are better at causing havoc than the Bosas, Mack, Miller, Chandler Jones, Frank Clark or Cameron Jordan?

That list provides some new data, which is great, but overall I'm not agreeing that those are the best pass rushers in the NFL.