OT - It's gunna be a FA bloodbath!

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I was listening to an Eagles podcast, but has two NFL insiders being Adam Caplan and Geoff Mosher.

They didn't provide details, but said they heard from multiple sources that there are going to be a lot of releases hitting this week as teams try to get under the cap ahead of free agency.

It makes sense considering the cap dropped, but I'm wondering how this impacts teams for the 2021 season? I'm thinking as supply of FAs grow wile teams cap space is used up some teams with cap space will be able to get very talented players on extremely discounted deals.

I know the Bears (and my Eagles) are up against the cap, so probably not in the ideal situation to capitalize, but overall I think some of the names being cut will surprise.

Chicoman

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Been reading and hearing same thing. Some speculation that WR's like Odell and Juju will be available...just meaning that ARob may not get the money that he wants in FA because alot of teams are being squeezed this offseason.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I think the market is going to be very interesting.

Going to be a lot of name players out there available for pretty cheap.

All the people here cunting about how do you rebuild the defense if you trade half of it away to get a franchise quarterback... This may in fact be the very year you can pull that off.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Been reading and hearing same thing. Some speculation that WR's like Odell and Juju will be available...just meaning that ARob may not get the money that he wants in FA because alot of teams are being squeezed this offseason.
Juju is a FA and from a cap/roster perspective I'm unsure if he's a part of the Steelers future plans.

Odell is interesting. He can be cut with no dead cap space, but then again for the next 3 years he'll cost them $15.75M, $15M and $15M. He's well outside of the top 10 WRs in compensation and that contract will continue to look better as time passes. Browns have a decent amount of cap space ($20M), so I'm thinking they would opt to trade him and get assets back as opposed to cut him outright.

kalmavet

Liked Posts:
Hasn't the league usually set the cap by now too? All I still see is the $180M floor but no official word on the cap itself.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think the market is going to be very interesting.

Going to be a lot of name players out there available for pretty cheap.

All the people here cunting about how do you rebuild the defense if you trade half of it away to get a franchise quarterback... This may in fact be the very year you can pull that off.

It will still be difficult as a lot of teams will be bargin hunting but I agree, it could be done with a heads up GM.

Oh, wait........Pace is the Bear's GM.

Maybe not.

BigUglyBear

Liked Posts:
There are going to be a lot of cap casualties for sure, but I would expect there will not be a lot of long term deals signed. Likely a lot of one year deals betting on an increasing cap next year.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
All kind of secondary and tertiary effects as well. The tag and trade of AR will likely be a no go. Hell, he may sign the tag before the last page comes out of his agents printer.

Will players want more 1 yr deals so they can sign better deals once the cap rebounds next season? If so the compensatory pick pool is going to be kooky next season.

Will players take long term deals with really small 1st season cap hits to get a long term deal?

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
There are going to be a lot of cap casualties for sure, but I would expect there will not be a lot of long term deals signed. Likely a lot of one year deals betting on an increasing cap next year.
I totally agree. There will also be some situations where older players will be willing to sign longer term deals as long as they get a larger signing bonus that can be spread over the next 3-4 years of their contract. They will do so at a discount overall, but the player knows it's the best way to avoid a injury that based on their age could be a career ender.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I have a feeling the coming bloodbath won't feature nearly the kind of talent people are expecting. The Saints are in the true depths of salary cap hell, but the guys they are going to cut to escape it aren't really that tantalizing. Malcoln Brown, Janoris Jenkins, Kwon Alexander, Latavius Murray...even Marshon Lattimore has never really regained the form he had his rookie year. If they part with Ryan Ramczyk or Terron Armstead then its an entirely different story, but the Saints are not stupid those guys are going nowhere.

Just one team, but I think it might be a telling example. Teams wont cut elite talents at premium positions.

Montucky

Liked Posts:

And Mac Jones, great last fall in leading Alabama to the national title, could go as high as eight to Carolina. But he’s not an athlete and doesn’t fit the mold of a new-wave NFL passer.

“Jones is the most challenging evaluation for me,” Jeremiah said. “Ten years ago, lots of prospects were like him—accurate, great decision-making, poise in the pocket. He’s outstanding in those three. But the league is going in a different direction. You need guys who can create plays. If you can’t create and buy some time, or take off and run for a first down on third-and-five, it’s hard. You have a narrow path to winning consistently.”
Meanwhile Tom Brady is winning half the Super Bowls and it doesn't even seem to matter which team he's on. The extent to which people will just disregard obvious evidence right in front of their face because they prefer a thoroughly debunked narrative is really something.

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
Meanwhile Tom Brady is winning half the Super Bowls and it doesn't even seem to matter which team he's on. The extent to which people will just disregard obvious evidence right in front of their face because they prefer a thoroughly debunked narrative is really something.

I'm fascinated to see what happens with Jones. Tom Brady is still playing at an elite level but he wasn't the same Tom Brady we know now when he came into the league.

This Tom Brady is somehow still close to his physical peak but combined with 20 years of elite football knowledge and processing ability.

Would Brady even be given the time to become Brady today if he came into the league in 2021? This league might have given up on him before he ever even reached that point.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I'm fascinated to see what happens with Jones. Tom Brady is still playing at an elite level but he wasn't the same Tom Brady we know now when he came into the league.

This Tom Brady is somehow still close to his physical peak but combined with 20 years of elite football knowledge and processing ability inside him.

Would Brady even be given the time to become Brady today if he came into the league in 2021? This league might have given up on him before he ever even reached that point.
He came into the league, won a Super Bowl, and mostly hasn't stopped winning them since. I dont think anything would really change.

That said trying to find the next Tom Brady is no less a fool's errand than it is to disregard the quarterback profile that has amassed seven rings in an era of unmatched league parity.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I heard $185 mil floor.

Expect a lot of 1 year rentals for below normal market value.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Agree, Lamar Jackson is great fun to watch, but the reality is that he has exited the playoffs early three consecutive years, because they took away his mobility. Meanwhile Tom Brady might just be slower than Foles.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Agree, Lamar Jackson is great fun to watch, but the reality is that he has exited the playoffs early three consecutive years, because they took away his mobility. Meanwhile Tom Brady might just be slower than Foles.
Huh, sounds like Mitch plus 1. (The exit the playoff early part).

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
too bad bears aint no blood suckas this off season.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Should be plenty of blood on the floor. Its pretty standard front office policy to put players on the credit card, and this is the first year the credit line got cut short.