Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Houston Astros
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Miami Hurricanes
Lovie Smith was born in Gladewater and raised in Big Sandy, Texas.

He was named after his great aunt, Lavana.....just so you know
Huh. My co-worker in Tyler (years ago) was technically wrong then. Miss those East TX hot links. Damn they were good.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
He sucked when he was calling plays with the bears.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
Huh. My co-worker in Tyler (years ago) was technically wrong then. Miss those East TX hot links. Damn they were good.
There were a few mom and pop BBQ places in Chicago that had awesome hot links as well.

Guys, at 37th and Giles now closed...Lems that used to be at 59th and State but moved.

The Texas Hot Links would have to be really special to top the places I mentioned, but maybe one day I can try one out!

AO_general1_hr.JPG

Last edited:

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
There were a few mom and pop BBQ places in Chicago that had awesome hot links as well.

Guys, at 37th and Giles now closed...Lems that used to be at 59th and State but moved.

The Texas Hot Links would have to be really special to top the places I mentioned, but maybe one day I can try one out!

AO_general1_hr.JPG

This has nothing to do with the thread.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Remember the good old days of Lovie compared to what we have now?

You are misremembering......Lovie has never been qualified as a HC, neither in the NFL or NCAA. He is a one-system, no adjustment DC, period. And one of the dumbest HC ever on record, truly the Forrest Gump of NFL coaches.

None of that is to say the current HC is any better tho.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Meh. I got nothing but love for Lovie but it's clear a firesale will definitely be happening in Houston

Throwthebones

Liked Posts:
I sometimes miss lovie. But I actually wonder if I just miss the players who were key during that time

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You are misremembering......Lovie has never been qualified as a HC, neither in the NFL or NCAA. He is a one-system, no adjustment DC, period. And one of the dumbest HC ever on record, truly the Forrest Gump of NFL coaches.

I thought he was fairly rich in wisdom and the guys played hard for him because he was genuine and fought for their growth as men off the field.

I blame the organization for not having the common sense to take the red flag choice from him and give it to some college interns in a tv room with tivo like everyone else with sense does.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Some can say what they want. The fact remains Smith was the last HC to get us too a SB. He did it without a decent Qb and he left here with a winning record
Defense was run by Rivera who's been to a SB since. Rivera is 2x coach of the year since. Rivera coached the D when Lovie got his COY in 2004 (32nd O) and Rivera coached the D in the 2006 SB year (15th O).

Last edited:

The_Shadow

Simply a Bears fan
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
The League figured out the Cover 2 defense years ago and Lovie never adjusted. We all saw Pagano drop into a cover 2 shell, bend but don't win, many times this past season. QBs shred the D with underneath throws all day long. I see Lovie not lasting very long in Houston unless he found a new scheme since he got fired from IU.
I always appreciated Lovie for changing the culture in Chicago and owning the Pack for awhile!

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
I thought he was fairly rich in wisdom and the guys played hard for him because he was genuine and fought for their growth as men off the field.

I blame the organization for not having the common sense to take the red flag choice from him and give it to some college interns in a tv room with tivo like everyone else with sense does.

Yes, the players liked him and played hard for him, agreed. But so what?

Let's we compare and contrast:

Belichick: we adjust our game plan every week to expose weaknesses in our opponent and to find favorable personnel matchups, and we continually monitor and adjust intra-game.

Lovie: we get off the bus running (asserted when Ced Benson had an avg YPC of 3.2), and Lovie actually admitted proudly that he "watches tape" collectively after 4 games (i.e., each quarter season) to determine if any tweaks are warranted. Yes, he admitted to not considering opponents and not making adjustments within 4-game increments.

Lovie fanboys always claimed that he didn't adjust his one and only D scheme because he was "stubborn". The real reason he never adjusted is because he doesn't know any other system or scheme, he has always been a one-trick pony, a guy with 0.0% involvement with the offense and only one scheme on D.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No...he did let Babich adjust one time. And its probably the dumbest shit anyone anywhere has ever seen on the football field at any level(we are all dumber for what we have just witnessed).

I thought our defense against Peyton in the superbowl was pretty embarrassing. We played a prevent and prayed to god Tillman would get 4 forced fumbles or something. IDK...I don't disagree with you, I just think there is more to being a football coach than x's and o's and we shouldn't throw Lovie under the bus without complimenting his good qualities. Guys playing hard for you is a good start.

Do I still hate his stupid face? Yes...I want to punch it until it makes an expression other than stupid.

However, the cake goes to Babich for taking the cover-2 and inventing the "mug front." Whereby you still play cover-2, every play, all season, however...

You pretend you might blitz one day, someday, by lining your linebackers up 2 steps out of position so they have to scramble backward after the snap.

I mean...Lovie watched that happen and didn't murder or fire anybody, so yeah...not defending his intelligence or flaws, but I liked him not on gameday.

Did these guys not realize you could maybe bluff you were going to blitz all 3 linebackers a few times...in one game, and then the gig is up?

It begs the question...HOW STUPID ARE YOU GUYS REALLY? How did you get out of junior high?

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just want to imagine for a second being in an opposing coaches monday morning film session, scouting your next team, and observing the "mug front."

Coach 1: Oh wow briggs and urlacher line up now to blitz? That looks scary!
Coach 2: Yeah but they only blitzed one time all game. They just line up that way and chase the WR's.
Coach 1: What? So if we run a slant they are dead? Ok but what do they adjust to?
Coach 2: They don't adjust...they just line up out of position and run the cover-2 all game.
Coach 1: Ok. Run 30 slants and 20 sweeps so they get caught in the washes.
Coach 2: Yeah. This prep won't take long, lets give the guys an extra day off this week.

Last edited:
Liked Posts:

We did get to a Super Bowl with him as the HC.

Lovie got fucked by Angelo good and hard with Angelo’s absolute refusal to draft well in the first round.

No OC worth a damn wanted to be here because they knew it was a shit show.

Then there’s the whole Rex Grossman thing.

If those teams even had an average or slightly above average offense we would’ve won at least one SB in the prime Urlacher era.

It also doesn’t help when the Packers have consecutive HOF QBs pulled out of their ass.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How many UI games did you watch? I'm guessing zero. It was talent but his scheme is just not good.

His defenses in Tampa also were not good, and most years with Chicago he had great talent on defense.

Yawn...wtf is this...please tell me a defense in the NFL, that was all world, with no talent lmao....oh my bad...Lovie has to take shit players and make the defense top 10...then only then, it proves he can coach......jeez

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
@BearDen

You love the "mug front" or something? Dumbest shit I ever saw on the football field. Dumber than anything I could ever imagine a professional would come up with and deploy for more than 2 weeks.

They still almost succeeded only because they were stacked with greats, but you couldn't conceive of a way to handi-cap a Lobo safety/coverage backer any worse than that.

I stand by my vitriol.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I guess it’s progress a black ex hc is finally a retread hire in this league. It’s usually unheard of and reserved for guys like wade Phillips and mike Nolan. Now if we can get the bias out of the hc hires.....