OT: Mac Jones going at 3?

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I also think the 49ers are wary of the lingering, albeit remote, possibility that the Seahawks trade Russell Wilson and immediately look to move into the top five and select a quarterback.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
While I do think Mac is overrated, I trust whatever Shanny does. To me the guy is the best offensive mind in football.

Also, if this actually happens the bears better be finding someone to trade up to 4/5 and take fields.
Didn't he help to bring in Jimmy G and pay him that large contract?

If so that is a pretty bad mistake to trust whatever he does.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I think Jimmy G is a draft day trade to NE. SF needs to recoup some draft capital.

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
I think Jimmy G is a draft day trade to NE. SF needs to recoup some draft capital.
I don't think there is a market for Jimmy G or Bridgewater. I think both get cut and come back as backups in 2021. No one wants to pay either of those guys 25 mill for 21.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I don't think there is a market for Jimmy G or Bridgewater. I think both get cut and come back as backups in 2021. No one wants to pay either of those guys 25 mill for 21.
Carolina and SF paid most of that contract via signing bonus. NE or any other team wouldn’t pay for full 2021 contract. Afterwards teams renegotiate like the Bears did for future years on Foles.

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
I'd think NE would like Bridgewater better than Jimmy G as comp for Cam. Less injuries and less interceptions.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

I agree about Jimmy, but Bridgewater will be a Panther in 2021. It's much easier to shed that contract in a year and CMC should remind them that injuries can & will happen even if they draft a QB high.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Dont know if any of it is true but it's hilarious how quickly everyone has fallen in love with Mac Jones. Not that i dont like him, but there seems to be a massive shift in how much people like him now, where for months people said he was a major reach even at 20.

GMs will fall for the hype and overdraft a QB. Happens all the time. See Trubisky, Mitch.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So does Kellen Mond or Kyle Trask. Nobody knows what is going to happen, quarterback evaluations are subject to this sort of collective mania where people let their imaginations carry them away. Chances are all of these quarterbacks are going to be mostly shitty, a couple might be average. It's unlikely any will be star level guys who can carry a team.
ond
Mond and Trask have no chance of being the best QB of this class

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I do like Mac Jones quite a bit as a pure passer, but a limited skill set QB going that high is risky. Not when you could have an all around player like Sewell, Devonta Smith, Kyle Pitts.. guys that just don't have any real weakness or physical limitations in their game.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Mond and Trask have no chance of being the best QB of this class

Agreed because of Lawrence. Pure passing skills plus athleticism. But behind Lawrence everybody has a question mark, whether its athleticism, consistency, accuracy, experience, etc.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Dont know if any of it is true but it's hilarious how quickly everyone has fallen in love with Mac Jones. Not that i dont like him, but there seems to be a massive shift in how much people like him now, where for months people said he was a major reach even at 20.

GMs will fall for the hype and overdraft a QB. Happens all the time. See Trubisky, Mitch.

The only thing I'm really watching for is guys like Mac Jones being over-hyped, causing Trey Lance to slide down the board within the Bears "trade up strike zone."

Outside of this...I'm content on taking a QB in the 2nd or 3rd and trying a 1st round QB next year.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Mac and others are being completely overrated. Fields & TLaw are the only real deals.
Most of the QBs are being overrated, as is, just about every year.

This is similar to 2018 with the amount of QB talent. Baker Mayfield went 1st overall, Darnold went 3rd, Allen went 7th and Rosen went 10th. Obviously Allen looks good but the rest are definitely letdowns respective to their draft position (Mayfield/Darnold) while one is a mega-bust.

Looking at history, it's fairly reasonable to expect that 2 out of these 5 guys will pan out as a good starter or more. One of them will bust rather hard while the other two will be somewhere between serviceable to replaceable. And here we have so many fans saying we need to give up multiple first round picks for a 40% chance of getting a guy we wouldn't be looking to replace in 4 years. Desperation breeds bad decisions.

baredown

Liked Posts:
Sighhhh. It's the Alabama pro day and the Ohio State pro day, not the Mac Jones pro day and the Justin Fields pro day,,,

While both teams are loaded with pro prospects, Alabama is particularly heavy with top tier prospects this year. That's reason alone enough to send the GM & HC to Tuscaloosa. Anyone who thinks the 49ers gave up 2 extra number 1s to move up to #3 without knowing who they'll pick there doesn't have the brains of a sponge. They've got 3 guys rated as franchise QBs, and no scripted dog & pony pro day show is going to change who their 3 guys are, or their order...

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
While I do think Mac is overrated, I trust whatever Shanny does. To me the guy is the best offensive mind in football.

Also, if this actually happens the bears better be finding someone to trade up to 4/5 and take fields.

This is so weird to me. While, I'd literally kill to have Shanahan in Chicago; why does he get this reputation? And it's not just you, the consensus is to trust the guy who passed on Watson and Mahomes just to trade multiple picks for Jimmy G and then sign him to 100M contract of which he's already been paid 85Mil. I've read people say that Trey Lance isn't a top 10 player, but then say they'd rethink it if Shanahan takes him at 3. Makes no sense to me.

There's just no reason to trade 2 additional 1st round picks to move up to take Mac Jones at 3, when there's a decent chance he could've been there at 12.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Sighhhh. It's the Alabama pro day and the Ohio State pro day, not the Mac Jones pro day and the Justin Fields pro day,,,

While both teams are loaded with pro prospects, Alabama is particularly heavy with top tier prospects this year. That's reason alone enough to send the GM & HC to Tuscaloosa. Anyone who thinks the 49ers gave up 2 extra number 1s to move up to #3 without knowing who they'll pick there doesn't have the brains of a sponge. They've got 3 guys rated as franchise QBs, and no scripted dog & pony pro day show is going to change who their 3 guys are, or their order...
Very good point.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They were talking about Mac Jones' outstanding deep stats on the Bootleg Football podcast and how he rated better than Joe Burrow's 2019 season in completion percentage, catchable percentage, TD / INT ratio, and YPA. Breakdown for Jones starts at 4:05

They break down the other QBs (Mond, Trask, Mills) too.