OT: Mac Jones going at 3?

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
Everything I've read and seen points to the SF pick will be Jones. Could be a big smoke screen but why do it. Bunch of the talking heads are pointing out how he is perfect for his system. Better version of Kirk Cousins. Can start day one in that QB friendly system. I like Jones a lot too but Fields could be the steal of the draft. Might take a little grooming but he has everything you want in a star QB.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Fields is overrated and is going to be a bust.

But then again I feel that way about most of the quarterbacks.

Trevor Lawrence I think will just be okay.

Zach Wilson has the best "chance" to be something very good, although I'm not entirely sold on him either.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Didn't he help to bring in Jimmy G and pay him that large contract?

If so that is a pretty bad mistake to trust whatever he does.

He also has a big soft spot for Kirk Cousins.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
The only thing I'm really watching for is guys like Mac Jones being over-hyped, causing Trey Lance to slide down the board within the Bears "trade up strike zone."

Outside of this...I'm content on taking a QB in the 2nd or 3rd and trying a 1st round QB next year.

I've come to this conclusion as well.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
If we can’t draft Jones, Fields would be my 2nd choice. Definitely wouldn’t trade the farm for him though...

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
If we can’t draft Jones, Fields would be my 2nd choice. Definitely wouldn’t trade the farm for him though...
It would probably take 3 ones to get the 5th pick. He looks like a bigger stronger Watson or more mobile Josh Allen. Sure would love the next 3-4 years finding out if he turns into a star. At some point the Bears will pick the right QB.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
On paper Mac Jones has all the tools to be worthy of the #3 pick. Right now fans are obsessed with the unconventional, flashy type of player that adds a different element to the game. Mac Jones isn't that. But he does everything well.

He might not have the ceiling of Mahomes, but very well easily could be a top 10 QB for a solid decade.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I think Shanahan would like Trey Lance or Zach Wilson.

It kinda mocks pace he has the balls to say either or at #3...lol.

Worst case scenario Trevor Lawrence is probably available.
I understand the Lance pick if Jimmy G stays for another year. No way Lawrence or Wilson is available unless Jets are stupid, which with Joe Douglas I don't think so. Eagles traded down when they found out Wilson wasn't available from Douglas (a former Eagles Employee). The Eagles were in better position than S.F. to get that 3rd pick.

Biscuit

Liked Posts:
Dont know if any of it is true but it's hilarious how quickly everyone has fallen in love with Mac Jones. Not that i dont like him, but there seems to be a massive shift in how much people like him now, where for months people said he was a major reach even at 20.

GMs will fall for the hype and overdraft a QB. Happens all the time. See Trubisky, Mitch.

I recently read an article that supports this.

“...... NFL personnel executives, according to the 538 article, overvalue the top 50 picks in the draft because they feel that the closer they are to #1, the better chance they have of hitting a home run.

They are right about the relationship — top draft picks perform better — but they misjudge the degree of difference and, thus, the value of those picks.........”

Also

“....... The general rule of thumb from this analysis is that teams with first round or early second-round picks should be happy to trade down in the draft if the terms of the trade reflect the NFL Trade Value Chart, and that teams holding picks in the middle rounds (3 - 6) should be hesitant about trading them away to move into the top-50.......”

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There could be an opening for the Bears to trade up for Fields if they are high enough on him. He might be there at pick 5 or 6. Would take a big trade but he is a great looking prospect.
He might fall out of the top 10

Biscuit

Liked Posts:
I think Shanahan would like Trey Lance or Zach Wilson.

It kinda mocks pace he has the balls to say either or at #3...lol.

Worst case scenario Trevor Lawrence is probably available.

FWIW......the current betting favorite for 3rd pick is Jones

Fields + Lance are tied for 2nd, behind Jones

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
While I do think Mac is overrated, I trust whatever Shanny does. To me the guy is the best offensive mind in football.

Also, if this actually happens the bears better be finding someone to trade up to 4/5 and take fields.
While I agree with some of the Shanny love keep in mind he also passed on Watson and Mahomes. He's not without warts.

Edit I didn't see R.D post touching on this.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
nobody is taking Jones in top 3(except maybe Katherine Webb in first 3 marriages).