OT: NFL announces international marketing areas and team markets

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Bears have Spain and UK. Teams will be able to bring marketing in their areas beginning January 2022 in an effort to expand their reach and fandom. If it goes well in markets, I couldn’t see way more international games taking place.

Full list in the article.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
Haven't the Spanish suffered enuff with the inquisition ect ect why unleash bear Fandom misery upon them

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
I know nothing about NFL in Europe, but given the language and cultural ties it seems like the UK would be one of, if not the most lucrative areas to get?

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears have Spain and UK. Teams will be able to bring marketing in their areas beginning January 2022 in an effort to expand their reach and fandom. If it goes well in markets, I couldn’t see way more international games taking place.

Full list in the article.

Wow the Rams lucked out. They won't even have shipping delays to get their gear into the target market!

RubberBanMan

I’m just a fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
This seems odd to me. Teams have exclusive marketing rights to certain countries? And how did they decide which country for what team

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
Wow the Rams lucked out. They won't even have shipping delays to get their gear into the target market!

I think theyd go for the 7 dollar domestic version. BTW Mitch jerseys are still in stock peeps

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
This seems odd to me. Teams have exclusive marketing rights to certain countries? And how did they decide which country for what team
I’m assuming nfl did some market intelligence and determined which teams already had an existing fan base in certain countries. Divided it up from there based on population, distance, etc. I’m sure way more went into it but that’s my guess

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I’m assuming nfl did some market intelligence and determined which teams already had an existing fan base in certain countries. Divided it up from there based on population, distance, etc. I’m sure way more went into it but that’s my guess

The article explains all that. Teams were allowed to propose for what markets they wanted to have rights in. It wasn't arbitrarily decided by the league. Thus Seattle and Minnesota in Canada, and Miami with their Spanish and Portuguese (Brazil) fans.

And the bears still clinging to the Fridge's popularity in the UK.

KennyH

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
And the bears still clinging to the Fridge's popularity in the UK.

To an extent, that's true - though it's more around who were popular when the NFL started to be shown on Sunday evenings on Channel 4 in the UK. Before that, it was just a small band of hard core fans listening on the US Armed Forces Network.

So, in the mid 80's you had the Bears, Dolphins, 49ers all being very popular/successful - I would say the Redskins were up there too (so surprised they are not listed for the UK market - though maybe the name change has impacted the marketing opportunities).

Jacksonville are 'the London team' so younger fans may have bought into that - so that makes sense too for the UK.

Though the exclusive rights thing makes no sense to me - but obv delighted if it brings the Bears back to London any time soon!!

Nuremberg Bear

Liked Posts:
I went to London game against Tampa Bay few years ago.
And there were a lot of Bears fans of whole Europe but only a very few by English. So far, England makes no sense at all.

As written before, Jaguars are Londons team.

Ralpf

Liked Posts:
I know nothing about NFL in Europe, but given the language and cultural ties it seems like the UK would be one of, if not the most lucrative areas to get?
Germany would rate pretty high, too. But the Bears have some (older) fans in the UK so that makes sense.

The reasoning for Spain isn't obvious to me, but I would imagine there is a good one. If NFL teams understand anything it is marketing.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I went to London game against Tampa Bay few years ago.
And there were a lot of Bears fans of whole Europe but only a very few by English. So far, England makes no sense at all.

As written before, Jaguars are Londons team.
Times have changed. London used to be a Bears mecca as I believe the 85 Super Bowl team played a pre-season game in London before the 86 season.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
What have the good people of Spain and the UK done to deserve the shitty product that is the bears?

France I could understand…