Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
NFL football most certainly will. Shortened and delayed season a very good possibility, but it will happen. College football is an entirely different animal. You very well could be right on that.

Sure, NFL will try. But the way things are going it's hard seeing them play the 17-week schedule honestly.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
@WestCoastBearsFan I was just in Greenville yesterday. Downtown area seemed cool. A lot bigger than I thought it was.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sure, NFL will try. But the way things are going it's hard seeing them play the 17-week schedule honestly.

Big difference between a shortened season and a cancelled season though. The way the NFL players get paid is extremely interesting, and with the exception of the "Elite few" veterans with the majority of their contracts paid via signing bonus's, a players base salary doesn't kick in until the first game of the league year. No first game, no paycheck.

Seeing how the majority of the NFL players would fall into the "not getting paid for 2020 category", and they are governed by a union, in which the majority has the power, hard to imagine there not being some semblance of a season.

Of course, there could very well be some Vets with contracts like Kirk Cousins (not singling him out here just a contract like the one he has), that could potentially sit out, but there is too much money at stake here for the players not to play. And I am not talking about the money from the owners perspective, but the players perspective as well.

The salary cap implications of a cancelled or shortened season, limited fans in the stadium, etc etc is going to bring abut some far reaching implications into next season, and the season after that. Salary cap could drop as much as 30 million next year, unless an agreement is made to parse that out over the next several seasons. As a result, you might still see teams THIS YEAR shedding vets to cut payroll, if word of a shortened season starts to become a reality.

LetsGo34

Liked Posts:
It’s weird because all of his former players have literally nothing bad to say about him personally. Even Deandre Hopkins has defended Dabo despite his very public beef with Clemson.
I'm not too familiar with Dabo but it sounds like the media just want a hit-job on the guy because of his political views/not wanting to involve politics on the field.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm not too familiar with Dabo but it sounds like the media just want a hit-job on the guy because of his political views/not wanting to involve politics on the field.
Interesting conclusion without any information. Because it's always fake news?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Uh oh. Have a following many other states will follow suit soon. Dont think there will be much football on in the fall.

doesn't really seem possible that there will be any HS football anywhere. I just don't see how school districts will be able to justify the risk

major blow for kids that depending on a senior season for scholarship consideration. this shit is all so fuckin sad

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Big difference between a shortened season and a cancelled season though. The way the NFL players get paid is extremely interesting, and with the exception of the "Elite few" veterans with the majority of their contracts paid via signing bonus's, a players base salary doesn't kick in until the first game of the league year. No first game, no paycheck.

Seeing how the majority of the NFL players would fall into the "not getting paid for 2020 category", and they are governed by a union, in which the majority has the power, hard to imagine there not being some semblance of a season.

Of course, there could very well be some Vets with contracts like Kirk Cousins (not singling him out here just a contract like the one he has), that could potentially sit out, but there is too much money at stake here for the players not to play. And I am not talking about the money from the owners perspective, but the players perspective as well.

The salary cap implications of a cancelled or shortened season, limited fans in the stadium, etc etc is going to bring abut some far reaching implications into next season, and the season after that. Salary cap could drop as much as 30 million next year, unless an agreement is made to parse that out over the next several seasons. As a result, you might still see teams THIS YEAR shedding vets to cut payroll, if word of a shortened season starts to become a reality.

I think you're over thinking this. Governors and mayors are facing serious political consequences for not containing covid-19. If the tide doesn't change soon it's not going to be up to the NFL, players union, or some average player's salary being on the line. They'll order a lock down and it's done.

I don't even think empty stadiums are going help because NFL teams have too many ppl. You cannot contain the virus with so many ppl involved.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
doesn't really seem possible that there will be any HS football anywhere. I just don't see how school districts will be able to justify the risk

major blow for kids that depending on a senior season for scholarship consideration. this shit is all so fuckin sad
I would think College Football would also have issues. These kids aren't getting paid and need go to class/dorms and home for holidays. Lots of risk and why some coaches have told kids to catch it before the season starts. A virus where we have no idea if there's long term effects beyond that ones we see. Shingles would be an example of that. NCAA should discipline those coaches and allow a redshirt for players that choose to not participate unless things change.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think you're over thinking this. Governors and mayors are facing serious political consequences for not containing covid-19. If the tide doesn't change soon it's not going to be up to the NFL, players union, or some average player's salary being on the line. They'll order a lock down and it's done.

I don't even think empty stadiums are going help because NFL teams have too many ppl. You cannot contain the virus with so many ppl involved.
You go into full lockdown mode at the team facility testing everybody that comes in, and not let them out until the season is over. You leave, your not allowed back until you undergo testing again. Same could be done with the officials, and all the team staff. Much like the proposed NBA model, albeit with more people. I am sure the NFL is monitoring that carefully.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would think College Football would also have issues. These kids aren't getting paid and need go to class/dorms and home for holidays. Lots of risk and why some coaches have told kids to catch it before the season starts. A virus where we have no idea if there's long term effects beyond that ones we see. Shingles would be an example of that. NCAA should discipline those coaches and allow a redshirt for players that choose to not participate unless things change.

where did you hear coaches are suggesting kids get covid so they are available for football?

not disputing it, just wondering for my own reference

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
You go into full lockdown mode at the team facility testing everybody that comes in, and not let them out until the season is over. You leave, your not allowed back until you undergo testing again. Same could be done with the officials, and all the team staff. Much like the proposed NBA model, albeit with more people. I am sure the NFL is monitoring that carefully.

Let me get this straight. You think everyone on the team would agree to go to the team facility, and not leave (for the most part) for an entire season? Away from their wives and kids for over 4 months?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
where did you hear coaches are suggesting kids get covid so they are available for football?

There’s been implications that this is what Dabo Swinney is doing with Clemson. Nothing written other than tweets. Pure speculation.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Heard the score talking about it on the odd listen. apparently it's been suggested at a few major colleges.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Let me get this straight. You think everyone on the team would agree to go to the team facility, and not leave (for the most part) for an entire season? Away from their wives and kids for over 4 months?
go home on the bye, get tested upon return.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Different sport and slightly Off topic, but my sons play hockey in Greenville. Oldest has travel tryouts still slated in August, so I'm holding out hope that all sports will still be a go for South Carolina. Although if it cancelled I'm sure my wife will be ok without us aking a 4 hour round trip for hockey practice on school nights.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
We spend alot of time in greenville with my boys playing hockey. There is alot to do and it is nice to civilization once we get out of the mountains
I was probably close to you at one point over my vacation too. I was in Asheville, Hendersonville, Brevard etc.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
We have all of our training tables open or soon to be open. Duke, Ga Tech, UGA, Auburn all anticipate football to start on time. The St Jude and East Lake golf tournaments canceled all guest attendees this morning.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Talk about a crap shoot... Next years NFL draft, especially if the NO College Football thingy stands nation wide. I wouldn't put it past Democrat governors in particular to stop college football, full or empty stadiums.

I mean, my state's residents must quarantine for 14 days in certain states, would that apply to Football teams traveling into the state? Or Basketball teams? or any other college sport?