OT: Roquan signs 5 yr/$100M extension with Ravens

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
It doesn’t matter if Sanborn has less “talent”. The production on the field was as if Roquan never left. That tells you why Smith was traded. You can plug and play off the ball LB on most defenses and not miss a beat.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I mean, happy Quan got paid by someone other than us but Bears D was shit without him and Ravens D got much better with him. Quan was a leader and his impact went beyond just the numbers. Patrick Queen immediately started playing better with Quan there.

mecha

Liked Posts:
imagine, Roquan Smith "making an impact" in a defensive unit that's been strong since forever vs. a defense that's like a cupboard with a can of expired pork and beans.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I mean, happy Quan got paid by someone other than us but Bears D was shit without him and Ravens D got much better with him. Quan was a leader and his impact went beyond just the numbers. Patrick Queen immediately started playing better with Quan there.
Ravens D also played a bunch of shitty offenses late in the year and then let the Bengals score rather easily on them in week 18 although they might not have been playing for much. Really didn’t pay attention.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Ravens D also played a bunch of shitty offenses late in the year and then let the Bengals score rather easily on them in week 18 although they might not have been playing for much. Really didn’t pay attention.

Yeah I think if you actually listen to the Ravens players, coached and beat guys, he made a difference.

napo55

Liked Posts:
It doesn’t matter if Sanborn has less “talent”. The production on the field was as if Roquan never left. That tells you why Smith was traded. You can plug and play off the ball LB on most defenses and not miss a beat.
We will see how Sanborn performs next year. Hopefully he won'tget knocked out of the season again with another injury.

Aparently, the Ravens liked what they saw in Roquan. And I think Baltimore knows a little about defense.
Aside from being a tackling machine (also impressive sack and Int stats), he's a team leader. Do not discount the importance of that.

fridges fatboys

Liked Posts:
Compare the 6 full games that Sanborn played as a starter after Roquan left from 11/6 to 12/18

Sanborn - Total tackles = 59, Total Sacks = 2
Roquan - Total tackles = 47, Total Sacks = 2

I don't care what anyone says Sanborn is pretty close to Roquan. Stop with the 40 yd dash times. I saw Sanborn catch Jalen Hurts from behind.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
Good for him, but it's not a premium position.
I don't understand where the Bears are going to spend all this money. They literally get fined if they are under the cap.
Roquan is a top 5 player at his position. Would anyone get mad if we traded back this year and took an off the ball like backer with his talent at say 10 and he was guaranteed to be top 5 and not bust? Draft picks are a crap shoot.
I get Poles playing hard ball but we let a young player with proven top 10 draft pick value talent go when we have maybe the most a team has ever had to spend in the offseason. And Poles was generally broken up about it meaning it was not personal and they wanted to keep him.

What am i missing? Where are we going to spend $150 million and why not allocate $5 of it to someone who was already on the team?
Was it just about playing hardball?
I like Sandborn a lot but we could have both and less holes. The second Sandborn went down our defense regressed to Trestman era humility. Thats a lot on the line but when Sandbown was in there he made the line looks so much better with is instinctiveness and first step . The rest of the LB crew are scrubs and more holes to fill.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
I hope they have DT’s to keep blockers off of him.
That is his waekness but apparently they do bc he has excelled there and their defensive stats went from 20s to top 10 and top 5 after he arrived. Many point out the bad Offenses they faced since then but when was the last time we saw the Ravens make a bad D player investment?

And won't matter either way if we do not shore up our D-line this offseason.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
Bears getting more production for a player at 3yr/$2.5 M.

Best deal the Bears didn't make.
Could they not fit both into the system?

I know in a 3/4 they could be a terror together but I think Ro in the middle and Sanborn at WLB could be a force.
And where else is the money going to go?

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
Good for him, but it's not a premium position.
Urlacher was the best player on our team for almost 10 years at that same position in this same defense.

They are not the same player and Ro does not have the strength, size or height to do what Urlacher did for this defense but i dont think it's a position question unless you want to argue that Urlacher transcended the potion which would be fair but still negates the narrative. Playmakers at any position are a valuable. I think the lack of turnovers for this defense was the only sticking point and i kind of get that but premium players are hard to find.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Urlacher was the best player on our team for almost 10 years at that same position in this same defense.

They are not the same player and Ro does not have the strength, size or height to do what Urlacher did for this defense but i dont think it's a position question unless you want to argue that Urlacher transcended the potion which would be fair but still negates the narrative. Playmakers at any position are a valuable. I think the lack of turnovers for this defense was the only sticking point and i kind of get that but premium players are hard to find.
Not the same position or same defense.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I don't understand where the Bears are going to spend all this money. They literally get fined if they are under the cap.
Roquan is a top 5 player at his position. Would anyone get mad if we traded back this year and took an off the ball like backer with his talent at say 10 and he was guaranteed to be top 5 and not bust? Draft picks are a crap shoot.
I get Poles playing hard ball but we let a young player with proven top 10 draft pick value talent go when we have maybe the most a team has ever had to spend in the offseason. And Poles was generally broken up about it meaning it was not personal and they wanted to keep him.

What am i missing? Where are we going to spend $150 million and why not allocate $5 of it to someone who was already on the team?
Was it just about playing hardball?
I like Sandborn a lot but we could have both and less holes. The second Sandborn went down our defense regressed to Trestman era humility. Thats a lot on the line but when Sandbown was in there he made the line looks so much better with is instinctiveness and first step . The rest of the LB crew are scrubs and more holes to fill.
Well I think you're going to see Kmet, Jaylon, and Montgomery extended. So that's some of it.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Not the same position or same defense.
Not even the same game... Compare offenses in 2020 to 2006, take 2020 because that's the last 16 game season we've had. 18,000 more passing yards. 220 more passing TD's. It's a different game all together. Can't compare Urlachers impact to Roquans at all...

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Could they not fit both into the system?

I know in a 3/4 they could be a terror together but I think Ro in the middle and Sanborn at WLB could be a force.
And where else is the money going to go?
Will you have this same question if they don't resign Monty to an overpaid contract? He is a very good all around back and an asset to the team. Should the Bears pay him top 10 RB money just because they have it?

I think you answered your own question. He doesn't have the strength, size, or height. He has not been a MLB. He doesn't transcend the position. He isn't Urlacher, Singletary,Kuechley,Lewis. He has shown little desire to put in off season work to be considered such.

Roquan is a good LB that makes a lot of tackles, he doesn't alter games. He doesn't alter game plans. No OC worries how they are going to matchup with RS.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Good for Roquan, happy he got paid!

Also happy it wasn't the bears
This. Good for him for sticking to his guns. Or his Saints for that matter.