OT: Shouldn’t we be applauding Antonio Brown?

Da Bears Oregon

Liked Posts:
If Antonio Brown leaving his team and potentially the NFL turns out to be related to his mental health, shouldn’t we applaud him for walking away?

I thought we call athletes heroes when they walk away in the middle of a competition due to mental health issues? Did I miss a memo somewhere?

View attachment 16485
But did she rip off her shirt?! That’s what I thought……

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
Now I wonder if the OP can guess the type of people who attacked Simone and AB and called them quitters regardless of the their mental issues?
If youre getting at "white people" let me say for the record im not white. Calling "mental issues" shouldnt be a get out of jail free card. Thats bs! Go ask a single parent busting their ass working two jobs while getting stiffed by the government at every turn about mental issues. Sorry i have a hard time having sympathy for rich, coddled and entitled athletes.

Username

Liked Posts:
From what I heard, he was told to play, but refused because he didn't think his ankle was ready. He hadn't practiced all week. Bruce and the OC told him if he isn't going to play when they tell him to, he's kicked off the team, so he left the field.

I would do the same thing. Fuck these fat ass coaches thinking they know someone's body.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
From what I heard, he was told to play, but refused because he didn't think his ankle was ready. He hadn't practiced all week. Bruce and the OC told him if he isn't going to play when they tell him to, he's kicked off the team, so he left the field.

I would do the same thing. Fuck these fat ass coaches thinking they know someone's body.

Yeah pretty interesting he was able to do jumping jacks all the way across the end zone though lol.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If youre getting at "white people" let me say for the record im not white. Calling "mental issues" shouldnt be a get out of jail free card. Thats bs! Go ask a single parent busting their ass working two jobs while getting stiffed by the government at every turn about mental issues. Sorry i have a hard time having sympathy for rich, coddled and entitled athletes.
I was going to say jack asses

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I read the OP's post again and I understand what he is trying to say but I have to disagree with it.

Biles was going through the stress of the competition while dealing with the Nassar assault case and a condition that caused her to lose awareness while doing some of her events. She was also dealing with the loss of a family member she was close to and everything crashing in on her probably led to her feeling mentally not fit to compete. Whether she should have continued to compete or not is certainly up for debate (personally, if this 'twisties' thing is real and can lead to injury then I would say no) but she didn't throw what amounted to a three year old temper tantrum and walk off the field. She acknowledged that she was mentally suffering at that point and, if I remember right, has and is getting counseling and treatment.

I haven't seen anything like this from Antonio Brown. Hell, he went to a basketball game the day after he walked off the field. He has never said a thing about his mental health or any other issues. Whether Antonio Brown has CTE or not is also up for debate. I have never heard Antonio Brown acknowledge that he has any problems. His whole post game actions have been filled with pointing fingers at other people or acting like a rich spoiled brat. If he hurt is ankle and couldn't play you would think that he would have at least TRIED to walk off the field with a limp. Instead he jumped up and down repeatedly and ran off the field.

Your actions certainly will have an effect on how people react to you. Simone Biles had her detractors but as more and more came out about what has happened to her almost all of her critics softened in their stances. Maybe this will happen with Brown but I doubt it. He certainly hasn't helped himself with his past actions or his actions immediately after his little I Quit dance. Maybe we might buy what he is saying if he was more of a class act to begin with.

mecha

Liked Posts:
My real question is why does it matter to you?
I genuinely don't care what Antonio Brown does or how he exited that game. if he played for the Bears then it would be meaningful. this is not. who gives a shit? it realistically shouldn't mean anything to the Buccaneers either. they scooped him up in FA after some scandal. I would think after a history of bridge burning this type of shit should be readily apparent.

I didn't see people supportive of Brandon Marshall like this when he was in fact declared to have mental issues. no, I've had to read the same shit year in and out about how no team he played for made the playoffs. (still my opinion, ???) but this clown gets jettisoned by multiple teams and we're supposed to feel sorry or thankful he left the game on his terms cause he may potentially have CTE? he has one concussion to his credit. what am I missing?

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Biles couldn't tell where she was while she was in the air, and it was more than just mental. It was affecting her physically, too. It could have gotten her injured, and it could have resulted in her team losing.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Everyone with common sense knows AB is not mentally fit. Brady just got the Pats and Bucs to ignore it to chase a ring. Hence why Brady was all so compassionate after this latest incident. He knows he was trying to get his pound of flesh from AB before the next flare up and now the flare up happened so time to move on.

Brady and Bucs probably just relieved his flare up was this incident instead of him killing someone or some shit. Now he can fade away and then be denied medical coverage by the NFL on the basis that as a black player he is naturally dumber so need a lower baseline to get coverage.
I actually think Brady is sincere in this case. AB needs help though. As entertaining as it was, it was sad at the same time, and there seems to be a lot of speculation that he's been pretty fucked up since Burfict laid him out. Perhaps that's true, but I get the feeling AB might end up hurting someone and himself and be diagnosed with CTE after the fact.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Also, people were talking quite a bit of shit about both Biles and Ridley for stepping away.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
AB is getting shunned for no reason but that’s because of his theatrics that are coming with his mental breakdown while also never saying he has a problem. He legit might not believe he has one or is too ashamed to admit he has one. Now I wonder if the OP can guess the type of people who attacked Simone and AB and called them quitters regardless of the their mental issues?
I know what you mean on people who attacked Biles. That’s why I’m a little surprised on the AB reaction. I think people of all stripes are attacking AB not just for his past diva behavior, but for “quitting on his team” while laughing at his, frankly, troubling exit. Nothing funny about it to me.

That’s why I brought it up. A lot of the same people who understood Biles are laughing at AB. It shouldn’t be like that.

I get that they're different, but that's kind of my point. That's why they're comparisons, not "the same thing".

No one here is talking shit on Biles (except for a select few), and they shouldn’t. This isn’t about Biles. It’s about people’s reactions to athletes’ mental health crises being COMPLETELY different based on likeability.

If you do and say the right things, your mental health crisis is legitimate and we sympathize. If you don't, your mental health crisis is worth mockery and laughs. All I'm saying is, that ain't right. Maybe I was off the mark saying we should "applaud" him. I just really didn't like light being made of the situation.

I know some disagree, and that's fine.

Last edited:

GoBears

Liked Posts:
You only applaud him if he seeks the help he desperately needs. If you want to applaud a football player, applaud Indy's former QB Luck. He got out before becoming critically injured.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Someone's a hero when they address it before sexually assaulting multiple women, trashing everyone in the steelers organization, having an altercation with the gm of his next team, assaulting another pedestrian, duping the bucs franchise so he can do what he wants, then shitting on them during a game. I hope he gets help but comparing him and biles is incredibly fucking ignorant.
Did that really happen? Wow!

edit: I see we've gone there after your post. Talk about false equivalencies.

:oprah2:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I know what you mean on people who attacked Biles. That’s why I’m a little surprised on the AB reaction. I think people of all stripes are attacking AB not just for his past diva behavior, but for “quitting on his team” while laughing at his, frankly, troubling exit. Nothing funny about it to me.

That’s why I brought it up. A lot of the same people who understood Biles are laughing at AB. It shouldn’t be like that.

I get that they're different, but that's kind of my point. That's why they're comparisons, not "the same thing".

No one here is talking shit on Biles (except for a select few), and they shouldn’t. This isn’t about Biles. It’s about people’s reactions to athletes’ mental health crises being COMPLETELY different based on likeability.

If you do and say the right things, your mental health crisis is legitimate and we sympathize. If you don't, your mental health crisis is worth mockery and laughs. All I'm saying is, that ain't right. Maybe I was off the mark saying we should "applaud" him. I just really didn't like light being made of the situation.

I think it has to do with AB being a deceitful asshole on and off the field, that's been offered help though not forced to seek it. I can still feel for the guy and his issues but not want him near my team nor have to accept his behavior. I hope he gets help and another chance but there's a point where he's a greater negative than positive for the teams he's on and it's not up to them to fix him if he doesn't want to be fixed. Bad situation but just because he has an excuse for his actions, it doesn't mean the league needs to accept the burden. The league is somewhat culpable by not forcing him into greater help to allow him to play but ultimately, he's not their responsibility. I hope he gets that help with something still in the tank but until then, stay home.

Biles losing her spatial awareness and still competing in in some events when getting some back, minus certain moves that continued to disorientate her, is far from the same thing. Last I checked, she was at every event cheering on her mates and had genuine trauma/abuse to overcome. The comparison is insulting to someone standing on the opposite side of that scale.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
IMO, it does good for no one to call everything strange or wrong that football plays do “possible CTE”. That’s doing the same thing AB is doing now…blaming something else for his issues.

It MAY be a contributing factor, but it is not THE issue. His issues are much deeper than that…

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Of course likeability has a lot to do with it but purposefully quitting is not the same thing as what happened to Biles. I was once suffering from vertigo and they couldn't find the cause. Like a virus or bacterial thing in my inner ear that finally cleared up. Who knows what caused here issues and she did compete so don't get the compare at all other than some weird conspiracy theorists.

You can feel for a mentally challenged individual while still understand his threat to society if problematic etc. If him being an extreme asshole at times is a mental issue as expected, (aren't they all to a degree) the league should do what they can to help him but I'm not certain that they haven't.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
IMO, it does good for no one to call everything strange or wrong that football plays do “possible CTE”. That’s doing the same thing AB is doing now…blaming something else for his issues.

It MAY be a contributing factor, but it is not THE issue. His issues are much deeper than that…
And it still wouldn't be a reason to keep on the team unless controlled.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't care about a wealthy wacko. Fuckhead pissed away 1 mil with his little dance show. Cut him and move on.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
AB is getting shunned for no reason but that’s because of his theatrics that are coming with his mental breakdown while also never saying he has a problem. He legit might not believe he has one or is too ashamed to admit he has one. Now I wonder if the OP can guess the type of people who attacked Simone and AB and called them quitters regardless of the their mental issues?
EFHzmqxUYAIyR1I.jpg

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I actually think Brady is sincere in this case. AB needs help though. As entertaining as it was, it was sad at the same time, and there seems to be a lot of speculation that he's been pretty fucked up since Burfict laid him out. Perhaps that's true, but I get the feeling AB might end up hurting someone and himself and be diagnosed with CTE after the fact.

I have no doubt Brady thinks he is being sincere. I also have no doubt that if I were actually friends with AB, I would not have prioritized him playing football for my team over him getting actual help. Brady was looking out for a ring first and foremost. His being friends with AB was secondary to that pursuit.