OT: Tom Brady

Dick Jauron

2001 AP Coach of the Year
Donator
Liked Posts:
There is a chance that today may have been his final NFL game.

If that is the case, that is one hell of a game to end his career. He almost did it again and pulled off a miracle. Damn defense.

For the longest time, since the early days of Manning vs Brady rivalry, Tom has been my favorite player. I still wonder what would have happened if he came here instead of Tampa.

Gonna miss watching Brady if today was indeed his final NFL game. One hell of a QB, one hell of a competitor, and there will never be anything like Tom (and his success) again.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Used to be a big fan before he came to Tampa. Even though its old school, to me there is something about retiring with the team that drafted you. He left New England with absolutely nothing left to prove, yet he felt he had to show the world he could win without Belichick. A narcissist move IMO.

Always enjoy watching him play and he is the GOAT, but it would have nice to see him retire in NE.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

If that is the case, that is one hell of a game to end his career. He almost did it again and pulled off a miracle. Damn defense.

For the longest time, since the early days of Manning vs Brady rivalry, Tom has been my favorite player. I still wonder what would have happened if he came here instead of Tampa.

Gonna miss watching Brady if today was indeed his final NFL game. One hell of a QB, one hell of a competitor, and there will never be anything like Tom (and his success) again.
I won’t even know he is gone once he leaves and the NFL will go on without him. He was a great NFL player.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Akers is what almost turned the game. Both fumbles combined kept NE in the game.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Used to be a big fan before he came to Tampa. Even though its old school, to me there is something about retiring with the team that drafted you. He left New England with absolutely nothing left to prove, yet he felt he had to show the world he could win without Belichick. A narcissist move IMO.

Always enjoy watching him play and he is the GOAT, but it would have nice to see him retire in NE.

Of course, none of use really know, but I don't think he left because he wanted to prove he could win without BB.

In fact, the opposite is likely to be true. BB was trying to make moves to push Brady out for a couple of years before Brady decided to leave. If you recall, BB did not want to trade Jimmy G, and many believed that he was wanting Brady to retire so he could start Jimmy. Kraft seemed to pick Brady over Jimmy G, and that forced the trade.

Then Bill banned Brady's friend/business partner/trainer from coming to the facility, which seemed to piss Brady off. And in a move that seemed almost intentional in hindsight, Bill started to deplete the roster of offensive talent and just focused on defense which made is much for difficult on Brady. Brady would take pay cuts to help improve the roster around him, but instead of using that extra cash to supply Brady with weapons, Bill used it on defense.

Then it was reported that Brady started to get a bit fed up with the "Patriot Way" because it wasn't fun. He also didn't seem to love that Bill was still talking to him as though he was a rookie.

So I think the split is what Bill wanted all along. And of course, that lit a fire under Brady and I'm sure he wanted to prove to Bill/the Pats that he still had it and they were wrong.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

He wanted to prove he could win without New England

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:

I don't think Brady knows if he's coming back yet or not.

Give him a couple of months.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think he doesn't retire. He has repeatedly said he wants to play until he's 45, but he's 44 and won't turn 45 until right before next season. Also, coming off one of his best seasons ever, I just can't see a guy calling it quits when he clearly has a lot left in the tank. There's just not many QBs that retire when they're still good. A handful come to mind, but most retire when they know they're in serious decline.

But maybe it comes down to what happens this offseason. If the Bucs lose a lot of key players, maybe Brady decides he's just too tired to be in a dog fight all year next season and hangs it up.

But....He seems to be doing a lot of things outside of football right now. Clearly, he's prepping for life after football.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
But maybe it comes down to what happens this offseason

Pretty much.

I extremely doubt he comes back to play for another team, so it's really on if Tampa wants to make one more run with him.

I think they do and Brady signs a one year "Swan Song" deal before the rest of the division starts catching up to the Bucs again.

Reactions: BNB

RumourBoy

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Alabama Crimson Tide

Amazing that he led the comeback with his offensive line in shambles. The game will miss him when he hangs in it. I hope he comes back for at least 1 more year.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
I think he doesn't retire. He has repeatedly said he wants to play until he's 45, but he's 44 and won't turn 45 until right before next season. Also, coming off one of his best seasons ever, I just can't see a guy calling it quits when he clearly has a lot left in the tank. There's just not many QBs that retire when they're still good. A handful come to mind, but most retire when they know they're in serious decline.

But maybe it comes down to what happens this offseason. If the Bucs lose a lot of key players, maybe Brady decides he's just too tired to be in a dog fight all year next season and hangs it up.

But....He seems to be doing a lot of things outside of football right now. Clearly, he's prepping for life after football.
i was just showing my kid peyton manning's stats last night 55TD's, 39TDs......9tTDs.....at this point every team starting Brady is gambling that they don't catch the decline and it will happen on someone sooner rather than later...do you think Brady's pride could handle an 18TD year or less?

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I won't entertain a word of speculation about Brady's retirement until he puts on the Hall of Fame jacket, five full years after he signs the paperwork to officially retire.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
i was just showing my kid peyton manning's stats last night 55TD's, 39TDs......9tTDs.....at this point every team starting Brady is gambling that they don't catch the decline and it will happen on someone sooner rather than later...do you think Brady's pride could handle an 18TD year or less?
It's not a gamble when common sense is added. Manning had all that trouble with the many shoulder surgeries. Of course his arm would never be 100%, or close to it, again. Brady has kept himself in great shape with no such nagging injury to drag him down.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Im done leaving Brady for dead after small stretches of struggling. He had an incredible season, unlike some of these other long in the tooth vets who are limping to the finish line. Losing Tristan Wirfs affected that game as much as anything.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It’s a perfect time to hang it up.
I don’t think he has enough left to win another one.
After this it will just be sad to watch. He didn’t look good trying to scramble. I am sure he had a significant lower body injury effecting his mobility.

He won one in Tampa, his defense was honorable and he went out in glorious battle falling to a worthy opponent on both sides of the ball.

Call it a career Tom. It’s unparalleled.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:

Agreed. He wants his last game to be the Super Bowl IMO. He's like a junkie for winning. Respect.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
You just never know with Brady.

I thought he would retire after he won a superbowl with the deflate-gate scandal. And then again last year after winning it with Tampa.

Guy has nothing left to prove to anyone. It might take a really bad season for him to hang up his cleats.