OT - Was the Clowney hit on Wentz dirty?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He's a runner diving forward and no longer has QB protections at that point. I guess helmet to helmet could be called but it really doesn't look like Clowney was intentionally head hunting. Blame Wentz. When you're a QB, discretion is the better part of valor.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
If it happened to a Bears QB and got him knocked out early in a playoff game we'd all be beyotching so....

Hugh Douglass took out Jim Miller in the 2001 Playoffs on a dirty hit too.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If it happened to a Bears QB and got him knocked out early in a playoff game we'd all be beyotching so....
The other 1/2 of the fans would be calling Mitch and idiot for not getting down. Heck 1/2 this board blamed Mitch for his shoulder injury in 2018 when gave himself up with a slide and the hit was flagged, LOL.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Of course it was dirty. He lead with the crown of his helmet towards a player who was already on the ground before contact was made.
He wasn't yet down, he was going down. And he didn't slide and is considered a runner. Wentz is the one to blame here.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think when a QB starts picking up chunks of yardage with the run, it ticks the defense off. Players are even coached to hit that QB any legal chance you get to make him think twice about running in the future. I think Clowney was trying to lay a lick on him to "help him down." That part wasn't the dirty part. The dirty part, as others mention, is the helmet to helmet part. But honestly, a running QB is eventually going to get injured. It happened to Mitch as well, it will happen to all of them.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Dirty? Yes. Illegal? No. Wentz should’ve slid. If that was Jordan Howard getting hit, no one would care.
He would have been a yard farther back, and Clowney would have missed him.