Overtime rules stink!!! Robbed us all tonight

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
I’m sorry, I think that’s stupid.

Both teams already had an opportunity to win the game. They always have, even before the current iteration of OT rules. It’s called “regulation”.

In fact, I think that it should be sudden death/first team that scores anything period, wins (like it used to be). The loser in those games, already had 60 minutes of game time to outscore the other team, as it stands. If a team doesn’t outscore it’s opponent in regulation, and then loses in OT, I’m sorry, but they deserved to lose. Don’t want to lose in OT? Don’t let it get to OT.

And it’s better for player health.

But I do agree, OT rules stink, it should be sudden death from the whistle, the current iteration, sucks.
I completely agree. Sudden death, first team that scores wins but thats not the reality. My idea is just a better alternative than the crap we have now which we both agree. Is my idea perfect? No. But im all ears for anything better.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
So Mahomes throws a TD, Allen throws a TD, then it’s sudden death, and Mahomes throws another TD.

Seems like an unnecessarily long exercise to come to the same result.

Or maybe the #1 scoring defense, #1 defense in total yards as well as yards per play, and the #1 defense in forced turnovers, could’ve made the Chiefs punt more than twice.

The OT rules are fine. I never saw whining like this, when Mahomes never got a possession against NE in their AFCCG, that went to overtime.
Its not whining. Its just a shitty set up. You said in your other post you dont like the rules they have now but now youre saying theyre fine. Make up your mind bro.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the 2nd team always gets the ball back no matter what, it sways the advantage too far in their favor. This is because the 1st team normally punts on 4th down while the 2nd has basically 4 downs to work with (now knowing exactly what they need to score). Getting the ball first in this scenario would be more greatly disadvantageous than getting the ball second is in the current rule.

Scoring a td utilizing 3 downs on the first possession should be weighted higher than scoring a TD on the second possession utilizing 4 downs. That’s why an opening possession TD trumps all.

Nuremberg Bear

Liked Posts:
This argument happens all the time. I love the rules. This is the pros. If you want a possession, don't let the opposing team score a TD. Pretty simple. Step your game up.
Not really. Some teams are better in offense other in defense. Now, two scoring teams met each other and it was clear from beginning that coin toss is telling the game.

This is sport. Both teams have offense and defense. Let them challenge both.

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
Not really. Some teams are better in offense other in defense. Now, two scoring teams met each other and it was clear from beginning that coin toss is telling the game.

This is sport. Both teams have offense and defense. Let them challenge both.
So the rules should feel sorry if teams are weighted towards offense? Really?

mecha

Liked Posts:
I pose a question to all the real Bears fans here, because I find this topic to be a little strange.

how many of you were clutching your vaginas crying about how it was unfair the other team didn't get a possession in overtime when Robbie Gould was winning games for the Bears with field goals? my guess is none. the coin toss at the start of the game can dictate how momentum swings. the reality is football is kind of a game of chance, shit happens. the wind blows different directions. such is overtime. if your players commit penalties or perform poorly and the game goes to overtime, that too comes down to chance then.

play better and close out the game early. or get lucky, like the 49ers did. it's better to be lucky than good... I would think the amount of upsets that transpired over divisional playoff weekend demonstrates such. but do continue to ignore what I say again.

Nuremberg Bear

Liked Posts:
So the rules should feel sorry if teams are weighted towards offense? Really?
No. The rule should give both teams same chance.

How is the rule in NHL shootout?
NBA? Baseball?

We're talking of a game where defense AND offense are part of.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Josh Allen shouldve had a chance to win or tie that game and because of some shit idiotic OT rules we were all robbed of an epic drive. An all time classic game that went out with a wimper. Its simple, overtime each team gets at least one possession. After that its sudden death. Why is this so difficult?
For those that dont agree, PROVE ME WRONG!!!
It's professional sports. Defensive players get paid to stop the offense.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
The rules are fine the way they are. Play the game, make a play, stop bitching.

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
No. The rule should give both teams same chance.

How is the rule in NHL shootout?
NBA? Baseball?

We're talking of a game where defense AND offense are part of.
The rules gives both the offense and defense a chance and 50% of the time one of them wins.

Move on.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
In playoffs, it should be basically 5th quarter. Play 15 min (could be a little less like 10) and let both teams settle it once clock expires.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
This is just stupid. The number 1 D in the NFL let the Chiefs go 44 yards in 9 seconds to tie the game. They deserved to lose this game.

Nuremberg Bear

Liked Posts:
The rules gives both the offense and defense a chance and 50% of the time one of them wins.

Move on.
Sorry but that's nothing than stupid.

Again you provided some 50/50 bs. It gives half a team a chance to win.

In which professional sport is this standard. Please show me.
Then I will move on.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Josh Allen shouldve had a chance to win or tie that game and because of some shit idiotic OT rules we were all robbed of an epic drive. An all time classic game that went out with a wimper. Its simple, overtime each team gets at least one possession. After that its sudden death. Why is this so difficult?
Previous rules were Sudden Death, now it is the field goal extends to another possession, next evolution should be 1 possession each, but even now if a game goes to the full overtime period, there is a good chance the networks will cut it short.

RumourBoy

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Alabama Crimson Tide
I gotta disagree here, I think the current over-time rules are good. If your defense can't hold the other team to a FG on the opening drive then you should've won in the 60 minutes of regulation.

macbear67

Liked Posts:
Yeah with the 2-pt conversion, each team getting at least one possession would be fine. It could be interesting. Should the first team try for 7 pts or 8 pts? Should the second team go for the tie and keep on playing or go for the win?

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Sorry but that's nothing than stupid.

Again you provided some 50/50 bs. It gives half a team a chance to win.

In which professional sport is this standard. Please show me.
Then I will move on.
Well it’s here to stay and you don’t have any better options so go ahead and waste your time whining and bitching about something insignificant as this. How about make a damn play. That would be too easy though.

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I gotta disagree here, I think the current over-time rules are good. If your defense can't hold the other team to a FG on the opening drive then you should've won in the 60 minutes of regulation.
That’s the smart way to think about it.

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Make a play in regulation or overtime. Why is this so difficult? PROVE ME WRONG!!!