Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
This is all whining after the fact. If the Bills had actually stopped the Chiefs, this thread never even happens. It's nonsense. We never see anyone say anything when the defense actually does it's job.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
?

The Chiefs should've been in a deep cover 4-5 zone on the Bills last drive in regulation. The KC game should've never went into OT. IT looked FIXED.....IMO
I mean you can’t really FIX that outcome.

FGs aren’t a given.

OK....the Bills last drive in regulation looked suspect. The Chiefs were in "man" vs a deep cover 4-5 zone

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Doesnt matter what you want its what works best. IN overtime you are guaranteed a chance to win or tie if the other team wins the toss and scores. After each team gets a possession its on the teams to not allow a score to end the game. In other words teams will decide the outcome not a coin toss.
I’m sorry, I think that’s stupid.

Both teams already had an opportunity to win the game. They always have, even before the current iteration of OT rules. It’s called “regulation”.

In fact, I think that it should be sudden death/first team that scores anything period, wins (like it used to be). The loser in those games, already had 60 minutes of game time to outscore the other team, as it stands. If a team doesn’t outscore it’s opponent in regulation, and then loses in OT, I’m sorry, but they deserved to lose. Don’t want to lose in OT? Don’t let it get to OT.

And it’s better for player health.

But I do agree, OT rules stink, it should be sudden death from the whistle, the current iteration, sucks.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If each QB got to keep going tonight until stopped the defensive players could have been ruined for life.

I like the NFL rules because they keep the defense more relevant in OT. Starting on the 30 is gimmicky and not football.

what if you start taking downs away?
Like ok…you both scored touchdowns…now do it with three downs.

now do it with 2 downs.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Coin toss still holds the power.

Team A scores a TD, converts 2 point.
Team B scored a TD, converts 2 point.
Team A kicks FG game over cause da coin toss.

No thanks.
I hate that when you fix that issue though the second team gets an extra down basically in some drive scenarios if they know what they have to get.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

If a team has been playing garbage D all game and they stumble into OT......they should have to step it up and stop the other team from scoring a TD.

I really love what he ( Hamilton) did with Orton and especially Cutler. From pro-bowl to leading the league in INTs. Orton never progressed in 2008

-Anytime23

Cutler career high Td's 27 under Hamilton in 2009

Orton progression from 2005-2008.......2008 under Hamilton
1643002491222.png

To the board: sorry about the minor derailment ......it's a inside "joke" based in ignored factual evidence @Anytime23

Last edited:

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
If a team has been playing garbage D all game and they stumble into OT......they should have to step it up and stop the other team from scoring a TD.
Exactly. They had 5 quarters to stop them. But I do like the college rules as well. I’m fine with both.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
run and shoot said:

Exactly. They had 5 quarters to stop them. But I do like the college rules as well. I’m fine with both.

I respect your view. For me, when it comes to OT, I just want it over. "Do or die". "Last chance,"

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Just play a 10 minute quarter.
if that finishes in a tie (playoffs) next quarter is 8 minutes.

So this is playing a "5th quarter" with no restrictions....right ? It just seems a bit much, don't ya think?

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I will repost this from the game thread:

"I like the rules the way they are and think they are completely fair.

The team that gets the ball first could kick a FG, so they treat their possessions as 3 down territory. But if they were to score a TD. And the other team got a chance to respond, the dynamic of their possession would be different since they get to use all 4 downs to get the 1st down. There is no option to kick a FG/punt

If your team can't stop the other team from driving the length of the field and scoring a TD with the game on the line, you deserve to lose. Football is a team sport. Some fans don't like it because they overweight the game toward the offense and the QB. But I think the OT rules are completely fair."

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is all whining after the fact. If the Bills had actually stopped the Chiefs, this thread never even happens. It's nonsense. We never see anyone say anything when the defense actually does it's job.
Tony Romo knew how to win…this was a time for a moderate squib kick to the 10 yard line, forcing chiefs to blow a few seconds. They ran two plays…they would have had to hit a Hail Mary to the 30 on the first play had they listened to Tony.
I think what several have picked up on is it’s so hard to play defense now that the number one defense in NFL can’t stop Mahomes but 1 in 5 tries.

it’s possible they need to consider going to 3 downs or 1st and 15.

I think this would help player safety too because you won’t see teams build up like the Patriots to smash people for 3 yards per play.
The game is too easy.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bengals knew how to do it…bills needed to deplete the chiefs timeouts on their red zone aproach and then stop the ball at the one until time was up and score on the last play.

that game just exemplified how helpless defenses really are now.

Josh Allen was like the best to ever do it today. Mahomes is insane.
The Rams are of similar quality to those two teams. It’s really the Rams vs Chiefs now.

I mean if you like Joe Burrow pray the Bills win AFC or he will be dead come February whether it’s Bosa or Donald/Miller.

Last edited:

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
All this bickering and ZERO stats on how infrequently this ever comes up.

Pretty rare both teams score a TD in OT I'd guess, so arbitrarily declaring it an unfair "coin flip" outcome based on the first team getting the ball twice is stretching things out quite a bit IMO.

Surely the players union would not be cool with tons of extra football played (unless they get some OT bonus $$ or some shit). College OTs sometimes keep going & going (not that we'd mind...exciting as hell).

Maybe a hybrid where 2nd team gets a chance to match or beat the 1st team's scores including TDs. Do it til one scores & other doesn't or the 2nd one scores more. That'd solve it better than a fixed "5th quarter" clock or the college red zone repeat option.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So Mahomes throws a TD, Allen throws a TD, then it’s sudden death, and Mahomes throws another TD.

Seems like an unnecessarily long exercise to come to the same result.

Or maybe the #1 scoring defense, #1 defense in total yards as well as yards per play, and the #1 defense in forced turnovers, could’ve made the Chiefs punt more than twice.

The OT rules are fine. I never saw whining like this, when Mahomes never got a possession against NE in their AFCCG, that went to overtime.

LiverpoolBearsFAn

Liked Posts:
Soccer has a lot more ‘extra time’ due to draws (ties) being so much more likely. They have experimented with different formats and ‘golden goal’ (effectively what the NFL currently has) came in for a few years and was universally disliked. It was felt to be an anticlimactic end and so is this, with the added unfairness of one team getting the first chance to win on the coin toss due to the nature of the game.

I think either give the other team a chance to equal the TD or FG the first team scores until there is a winner, or play another 15 minutes then have the kickers ‘kick off’ from increasingly far distances. Start from 30 yards and move out 5 yards at a time.

Imabearsfan

Liked Posts:
I do understand. My proposed rules are simply to avoid a coin toss deciding the game. This way each team is guaranteed at least one possession. After that the responsibility is on the team to stop the other team from scoring. Is it perfect? No. But its better than the shit rules they have now.
So all you’re really saying is if you have 2 teams, both with shit defenses, you want them to have 2 chances at a stop instead of one. So as the other poster was saying, the coin flip in this scenario still does matter. Team A has 2 possessions team B has 1. I believe the argument here is to eliminate the advantage of the team winning the coin toss, other than to know what you need (FG or TD) to win or extend the game.

My suggestion would be to make it where once a team punts or turns the ball over, then it becomes sudden death. Until then, you either kickoff (or just start at their own 25) after each scoring possession. This could turn into a lot of football so I would imagine player safety may be a concern. But in the playoffs I think it’s worth the risk to make it completely fair for both teams.

Last edited:

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
My suggestion would be to make it where once a team punts or turns the ball over, then it becomes sudden death. Until then, you either kickoff (or just start at their own 25) after each scoring possession. This could turn into a lot of football so I would imagine player safety may be a concern. But in the playoffs I think it’s worth the risk to make it completely fair for both teams.
I thought of this but its good in theory but not in reality for the reason you state. Besides no player union would agree to this. My idea isnt perfect but its far better than the shit they got now. Each team gets at least one possession and thats as fair as youre going to get. If a team gets a second possession because the other team tied it and they score the game is over. Its as fair as you can get it within a realistic set up. Im not saying my idea is the end all be all but i have yet to hear something better thats plausable.