Pace, drafting with Nagy, seems to hit more on offense.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
I'm sorry. Did I miss the part where Pace turned over the general manager's position to furrey for one pick?

Coaches and scouts can pound their fist on the table all they want - the GM still has to pick them.

your right, pace decided to go with trubisky when it wasnt unanimous with the scouts/coaches...good job pace, you showed them whos boss...funny how now his favorite word is collaboration.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Fox understood NFL defensive talent. I think they did pretty good with defensive free agents during the time when Fox was around. Hicks was a great pickup, Trevathan was good at the time. If Fox did contribute I would say it would have been in that area.

I think anyone is seriously overestimating Nagy if you think he can scout on any level. He never worked as a scout. He never even coached on any level in college. All we have seen in his tenure is his job description get narrower as time goes on.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
your right, pace decided to go with trubisky when it wasnt unanimous with the scouts/coaches...good job pace, you showed them whos boss...funny how now his favorite word is collaboration.
It’s really sad when you’re going back almost half a decade because of your Pace hate. This is a much different situation than it was back then...

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think anyone is seriously overestimating Nagy if you think he can scout on any level. He never worked as a scout. He never even coached on any level in college. All we have seen in his tenure is his job description get narrower as time goes on.

Can't argue any of this, but there is one thing Nagy does have a fair amount of experience doing. Playing quarterback.

That is the one position I would have him heavy in my ear if I were Ryan Pace.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

You illustrate my point. If you crap on him (and rightfully so) for Mitch, then give him credit for Mooney. Cherry picking makes people look like idiots.

BigUglyBear

Liked Posts:
david montgomery finished in the top 5 of attempts and rushing yards... Bears fans continue this narrative of Nagy and it’s simply not true.
In the games where the Genius was calling plays he (Montgomery) averaged 14.5 runs per game and 52.4 yards per game. He did not have a 100 yard game until Lazor took over.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
In the games where the Genius was calling plays he (Montgomery) averaged 14.5 runs per game and 52.4 yards per game. He did not have a 100 yard game until Lazor took over.
Those 100 yard games came because of switching up the OL (a HC decision) not because of Lazor calling plays.

BTW...who designed the plays Lazor was calling in those games? Oh right...NAGY.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
15 carries a game for one running back is a pretty good amount of rushes for a running back in today’s NFL. what’s your point here?

SD Bears

Liked Posts:
Those 100 yard games came because of switching up the OL (a HC decision) not because of Lazor calling plays.

BTW...who designed the plays Lazor was calling in those games? Oh right...NAGY.

We are all dumber from having read your post. It has to be sarcasm, or perhaps the greatest coincidence in offensive football. Who do you think called for / demanded the OL strategy change after Lazor was given the playcalling reins? And I suppose you don't understand that playcalling OCs put in their own wrinkles to established plays.

Imagine defending the person who designed one of the worst offenses in the league. At least Lazor knew which plays to call when.

BigUglyBear

Liked Posts:
15 carries a game for one running back is a pretty good amount of rushes for a running back in today’s NFL. what’s your point here?
That when the Genius HC/OC was calling plays Montgomery certainly was not top 5 in attempts or yards so your statement about the narrative being untrue is.....untrue. With Lazor calling plays Montgomery ran over 19 times per game at a 99.7 yards per game clip.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
That when the Genius HC/OC was calling plays Montgomery certainly was not top 5 in attempts or yards so your statement about the narrative being untrue is.....untrue. With Lazor calling plays Montgomery ran over 19 times per game at a 99.7 yards per game clip.
yes, but my point was Nagy wasn’t allergic to running the ball as many posters are suggesting. Lazor ran it more, obviously, but it’s not like Nagy called 33 passes in a row again.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Pre Nagy: White, Shaheen, Grasu, Mitch, Langford all relative busts for where they were picked. The only good offensive weapon was Tarik Cohen and Jordan Howard, who sucked after leaving Chicago. He did well at drafting oline though.

Post Nagy: Monty, Miller (average pick), Mooney, Kmet (jury still out). Out of the top 3-4 rounds, there hasn't been a bust yet.

I know this board craps on the idea of Pace drafting another QB, but this time around it isn't just Pace it is Nagy as well. And I for one, think they can hit on a Day 2 QB this time around, who can be a starter level QB.

Don't forget our 2nd round center who is horrid at center and not that great at guard.

It is hard to judge Foles, since he had no offseason and had a crap oline at the time.

Foles has a lot of tape with other teams. Other than filling in with a team that got to the Super Bowl he has always been exactly who we saw.
Nagy had the same fan problem and bought into the hype that he was a SB MVP not realizing the team was the real MVP Foles was just the backup filling in for the QB that got them into the position.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pre Nagy: White, Shaheen, Grasu, Mitch, Langford all relative busts for where they were picked. The only good offensive weapon was Tarik Cohen and Jordan Howard, who sucked after leaving Chicago. He did well at drafting oline though.

Post Nagy: Monty, Miller (average pick), Mooney, Kmet (jury still out). Out of the top 3-4 rounds, there hasn't been a bust yet.

I know this board craps on the idea of Pace drafting another QB, but this time around it isn't just Pace it is Nagy as well. And I for one, think they can hit on a Day 2 QB this time around, who can be a starter level QB.
Pace sucks balls.

Chicago Bears: GM Ryan Pace's trade history - Chicago Tribune

Visionman

Liked Posts:
We are all dumber from having read your post. It has to be sarcasm, or perhaps the greatest coincidence in offensive football. Who do you think called for / demanded the OL strategy change after Lazor was given the playcalling reins? And I suppose you don't understand that playcalling OCs put in their own wrinkles to established plays.

Imagine defending the person who designed one of the worst offenses in the league. At least Lazor knew which plays to call when.
So you think the guy Nagy decided to let call plays, who kept that job for only a few games, was given the keys to the entire offensive system and scheme? And Nagycwas made into what...a figurehead? Lol. Now THAT is hilarious!

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I think he gets crapped on because he was touted as a next level evaluator of talent when he was hired. He's made some good picks, and some decent FA signings at other positions, but he can't seem to evaluate a QB to save his life. After three swings and misses, I hope that he defers to Nagy on their next QB acquisition.
Defers to Nagy? That's like saying I hope a moron defers to an idiot. I just hope they think Andy fucking Dalton is the answer and everyone goes down in flames so the actual reset that is needed potentially takes place.

SD Bears

Liked Posts:
So you think the guy Nagy decided to let call plays, who kept that job for only a few games, was given the keys to the entire offensive system and scheme? And Nagycwas made into what...a figurehead? Lol. Now THAT is hilarious!

It's all extremes with you. You're an idiot.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
We have all heard the rumors that Nagy was pounding the table for Mahomes and the Chiefs listened.

The reality is that a Day 2 QB will likely be the best the Bears can do this year, but that puts you in the position that you are drafting a developmental QB.

I like the idea that they take a shot at the position again this year and being a 2nd round QB does not automatically preclude you from taking another shot next year.

Is Nagy a better evaluator, maybe, but unless he becomes a better coach this year, then it will not matter.

It was Brett Veach but Nagy supposedly liked him too. Veach was the guy hounding Reid and Dorsey about Mahomes.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Fox understood NFL defensive talent. I think they did pretty good with defensive free agents during the time when Fox was around. Hicks was a great pickup, Trevathan was good at the time. If Fox did contribute I would say it would have been in that area.

No one is arguing Nagy is a scout, but coaches know what they want and what they don't want. All coaches do this with their GM's and none of them were scouts. They all have input in the draft room.