Pace.... how ya like me now!!!

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was one of the few guys on this board that advocated for Mahomes and wanted them to draft him and I have to laugh at the future hall of famer comment. I think we should let these guys play a few more years before crowning any of them. If you think he whiffed on Trubisky, I can’t help you. There is a massive list of top tier NFL QBs that struggled or were uneven starting out.

From the perspective of he could have had a MUCH better QB - not that Trubisky is a bust - yeah, in my opinion he whiffed. You don't have to "help me" with that. I already know.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
From the perspective of he could have had a MUCH better QB - not that Trubisky is a bust - yeah, in my opinion he whiffed. You don't have to "help me" with that. I already know.

Similar to how you knew the bears would go 0-3 against the Rams, Packers, and Vikings. In fact you were certain. Then it turned into a backpedal 1-2 prediction.

You already know...?

Big Tyme D

Liked Posts:
....can you imagine if Pace had signed Glennon to a long-term $100M deal?...

The point is........ he DIDN'T.... lol. Glennon was set up to be a place holder. And his horrible play forced Trubs in sooner than later.... but .... that was inevitable regardless.

That's nice. The negatives outweighed the positives. It's amazing how many dumb football thoughts get posted on CCS, yet everyone saw how successful the Bears would be this year because of the brilliance of Pace's early years.

That makes as much since as a wooden nickle. If the negatives outweighed the positives....................................... the team wouldn't be in the position it is now.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
he still needs to get his QB as I don't think Trubisky will be the answer long term. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't think Pace knows how to pick QBs. Wasn't he interested in Marcus Mariotta as well?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Here's the thing about Pace. He's not so proud as to not correct his mistakes. He moves forward and is constantly and actively trying to improve his roster like good GMs are want to do. He's a good GM, none of them bat 1000 but it's still early. One good year doesn't make a GM just like with coaches or players.

Something that rarely gets mentioned is how good he is at getting things he wants. Nagy and Mack are cases in point. Both seem to be major coups that have led to this seasons result. He just seems to hound and unassumingly nice his way into deals. Not really sure the formula but he seems to be Oppie with fangs.

It will be interesting to see how we address our cap and lack of draft picks in the next few years. You generally want one or the other. Not having much of either picks or cap space will make the roster much more difficult to navigate. I suspect he does fine but like I said, still too early to crown his ass.

I liked the hire, have defended him a bit because it was a tough job and mistakes are inevitable but...

Newblood

Liked Posts:
Well, when you consider he had a 66% chance at drafting a franchise QB and he took Trubisky instead. He had a 33% chance of drafting a future HOFer, and he whiffed.

Wrong.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
he still needs to get his QB as I don't think Trubisky will be the answer long term. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't think Pace knows how to pick QBs. Wasn't he interested in Marcus Mariotta as well?

and Wentz. Here's a tidbit. Nobody is that good at picking QBs and it's still early to call it on Mitch who was (arguably) the top QB on the majority of teams draft boards that year.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
If Pace built a Eli Manning-esque 2xSB championship team you would still bitch about passing on Phillip Rivers.

Big Tyme D

Liked Posts:
Meh, we had a dominant defense and playoff appearances and a Super Bowl run under Angelo and what does the average Bears fan think about Angelo?

A common denominator is missing on first round picks. White? Floyd?? Trubisky? Especially when you consider he moved up to draft Trubisky first when he coulda had Mahomes or Watson.

Angelo inherited some of our best players... and with Lovie at coach we made the playoffs and ha a SB appearance. But his horrid drafting eventually caught up and destroyed the franchise. Also... you could already see the writing on the wall at some critical positions like QB... that we likely were not going to get back. Grossman was the most drastically inconsistent QB ever.... and Orton just was consistently not very good period.

The only #1 miss Pace has had is White.... Floyd may not be the sack artist we hoped... but he's still a very good LB and a major part of the Defense.... Trubs....... We didn't give up much to get Trubs... though I will agree we shouldn't have given up anything. But suggestions on we could have taken Mahomes and Watson is purely 20/20 hindsight. Trubs was considered best of the bunch by most so called experts.... and we got him.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Pace should be up for GM of the year, no doubt. Let's not sit here and act like he is god though. He's made mistakes in the draft and handed out some bad contracts, but that's just part of the job. Luckily some of his mistakes have largely been forgettable because he has drafted extremely well late in the draft and was lucky enough to have one of the best defensive players served to him on a silver platter.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
The point is........ he DIDN'T.... lol. Glennon was set up to be a place holder. And his horrible play forced Trubs in sooner than later.... but .... that was inevitable regardless.

I'm not sure what is/was praiseworthy about Pace's signing of Glennon. He gave Glennon more money and PT than any other team in the NFL was willing to offer. Glennon wasn't any good. Its not like Pace pulled a fast one on the other NFL GMs.

That makes as much since as a wooden nickle. If the negatives outweighed the positives....................................... the team wouldn't be in the position it is now.

The NFL is designed to by cyclical. Last place teams draft higher, get easier schedules, and typically have more cap space since none of their current players are worthy of big $$. The 2018 Bears have benefited from multiple years of drafting in the top 10, a last place schedule, and having enough cap space to trade for Mack and offer up-front money.

I'm not sure how/why Pace's first two years in Chicago need to be given revisionist history. I'd say that he learned from his mistakes and emerged from it as a better GM. To put forth this narrative that Pace has stuck to his 'original plan' is ridiculous.

Schmidtaki

Just your everyday fail.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Many posters here love to hang their hats on so called intelligence but then turn around and can't read between lines on posts or show any sign of patience. I have always liked the picks Pace has made. Yeah hes bound to have a few duds, everyone does. I see a lot of unrealistic expectations by fans as well. I personally don't understand the point of rooting for a sports team claiming yourself a fan but being pessimistic about said team. Pace is one of the best things to happen to this team and when he finally got the freedom to pick his guy he choose Nagy who may go down as one of the best coaches in the league with many many years to go. Nagy certainly has da fire and da passion!

Pace will be GOAT.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pace didn't come in here and light things up for the franchise. He made plenty of mistakes. Bad FA signings, bad draft choices etc. Those mistakes are apart of what Pace did, and it is ok to admit there were mistakes. There were also some good things early too.

I won't get into the minutia of everything he did right and wrong; some of those are debatable on an individual basis. The takeaway here is that Pace did enough to let him keep his job from year 3 to year 4. Pace basically earned one more contract with Trubisky and Nagy as either anchors or floaties.

The good pieces that Pace was able to acquire and retain over the past three years and what he did this offseason has lead the Bears to where they are right now. Anyone who continues the narrative that Pace is not a good GM is just plain wrong at this point. That doesn't mean that Pace hasn't made mistakes in the past and that it is ok to acknowledge that.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Similar to how you knew the bears would go 0-3 against the Rams, Packers, and Vikings. In fact you were certain. Then it turned into a backpedal 1-2 prediction.

You already know...��

Admittedly, I'm off to a bad start on that bet, but it's not over!

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm just busting your balls man. I did send you a PM and was willing to make an actual bet.

Yeah, I don't check PMs much because I primarily use the site on my phone and there's no way to check them. I wouldn't have bet cash because I don't use PayPal and wouldn't be willing to setup an account for one bet.

Bragging rights are on the line, and I'm sweatin' a little bit. lol.