Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
His play calling is vanilla. 30 points should be enough for Bears to win handily. The Bears D is being man handled on the line and soft coverage.

Bears O is now playing smash mouth. I love it. The Bears D should match the offense intensity.

It kind of funny to say that. Thinking the Bears D is its strength. I think the STs are first, then O, and then D.

clear

Liked Posts:
It's sad.

Everyone was under the impression that if the offense could score and control the clock the D would dominate.

Yesterday was absolutely pathetic in the second half. MN moved the ball over 70yds on every drive until that 4th down stop at the end of the game.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Some idiots on here were saying that this defense was elite. Pagano doesn't know how to scheme other than to play soft zones. They should strip him of his playcalling duties

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Earlier in the year teams were not scoring a ton of points, and that was because they did not need to...the opposing HC, saw that his team's defense could handle the Bears Offense, therefore no reason to press to put up numbers. In the last few games the Bears O has score well, and so the opposing team has also turned on the juice and we seen the Pagano soft coverage getting tore the hell up.

I like Pagano, but he needs to be more aggressive. He is essentially putting the D-line on an island and expecting them to get home before the QB can get the pass off, It is simply not a formula for success.

The run defense also suffers from soft coverage, because if the play gets to the second level, the DBs are typically out of position to help support.

clear

Liked Posts:
Here is a perfect example of how this D plays.

In the 4th quarter Nichols/Mack just sacked Cousins to create a 2nd and 19. The very next play Cousins dumps it off to Mattison for a 14 yard game with no defender near him, because the coverage was so soft. Now it is 3rd and very manageable with the option to go for it on 4th down. I just don't get it. You get a sack, and then your just willing to give it all back.

There is nothing attacking about this D at all.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Earlier in the year teams were not scoring a ton of points, and that was because they did not need to...the opposing HC, saw that his team's defense could handle the Bears Offense, therefore no reason to press to put up numbers. In the last few games the Bears O has score well, and so the opposing team has also turned on the juice and we seen the Pagano soft coverage getting tore the hell up.

I like Pagano, but he needs to be more aggressive. He is essentially putting the D-line on an island and expecting them to get home before the QB can get the pass off, It is simply not a formula for success.

The run defense also suffers from soft coverage, because if the play gets to the second level, the DBs are typically out of position to help support.

The first paragraph is 100% nonsense.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Here is a perfect example of how this D plays.

In the 4th quarter Nichols/Mack just sacked Cousins to create a 2nd and 19. The very next play Cousins dumps it off to Mattison for a 14 yard game with no defender near him, because the coverage was so soft. Now it is 3rd and very manageable with the option to go for it on 4th down. I just don't get it. You get a sack, and then your just willing to give it all back.

There is nothing attacking about this D at all.

I'm pretty sure DT was on the field for that 14yd gain. DT offers nothing in run defense and especially pass defense. He shouldn't even dress on GameDay

clear

Liked Posts:
Honestly, people are excited about making the playoffs, but if it does come down to beating GB and they player their starters there is no way this defense stops them.

clear

Liked Posts:
Some idiots on here were saying that this defense was elite. Pagano doesn't know how to scheme other than to play soft zones. They should strip him of his playcalling duties

100%!

The guy has been brutal. Like I mentioned. This D gave up drives over 70 yards on every series in the second half, until they somehow got lucky and stopped them on downs.

Bolek

Liked Posts:
I hate the 3 man rush when a team needs a long completion or hail mary. Why give them time to get downfield and find a gap?
I heard Nagy in his post presser say that they practice the hail mary play few times every week, as I imagine every NFL team would. Eddie Jackson must not be part of that practice play, otherwise he would know to knock the ball down not into the air. Could have cost us the season.

clear

Liked Posts:
We just gonna ignore that 3 secondary players were out yesterday?

You still had your top two guys.

To me. I look at Cousins as a guy I am bringing the heat on. He holds the ball too long and becomes a turnover machine under pressure. No way do I let him sit back there and shred my D.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You still had your top two guys.

To me. I look at Cousins as a guy I am bringing the heat on. He holds the ball too long and becomes a turnover machine under pressure. No way do I let him sit back there and shred my D.
Top two buys being Jackson and Fuller? Jaylon Johnson is arguably as impactful as Fuller this season.

Skrine isnt great but one of the touchdowns yesterday was an obvious miscommunication by two replacements passing off the WR.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
We just gonna ignore that 3 secondary players were out yesterday?

Newsflash: Pagano's D has been lit up for the last 6 or 7 weeks excluding Houston. Quit defending his shitty gameplans

msadows

Liked Posts:
Pagano is not scheming great, but this is not really on him. The majority of the blame goes on the players.

Mack is having his worst season pressure wise in his career. Mack had 47 and 45 pressures the last two years. He has 25 this year. Leonard Floyd had 26 last year. Mack is playing barely better than floyd did last year. Let that sink in.

Quinn is non existant. We have really no other pass rushing option. Hicks is decent but you can't ask an interior lineman not named Donald to be a pass rusher on that level.

Goldman is the reason we're giving up chunks in the run game. He was a borderline probowler at his position.

Eddie Jackson has sucked terribly this year. That's not on pagano. He's half assing it out there. The rest of the db's not named skrine have done a decent job. It's hard to defend in the nfl these days when you have a bottom 7 pass rush that was bottom 3 before the last two weeks.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I can't blame the coach for his starting MLB being a shadow of his former self.

I also can't blame him for having eddie jackson regress into being one of the worst starting FS's in the league.

The only players who have been good this year on defense are Fuller, Quan, and Johnson. The rest of this D has been playing awful all season. You can put hicks in that group too, I guess.

Some of it is obviously on pagano, but the drop off on this defense has more to do with the players just not executing.
I'd love him to blitz more, but I don't think this defense can handle it right now. If they don't get home they will get torn up. Skrine is bad, Eddie can't cover 1 on 1 anymore. Gipson isn't playing great either. You can't put fuller and Johnson on an island every play. Danny T can't cover.

You are left with a lot of poor options as far as blitzing. The DB's outside of fuller/Johnson are bad. Any decent QB would tear up our blitzes instantly and abuse Danny.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can't blame the coach for his starting MLB being a shadow of his former self.

I also can't blame him for having eddie jackson regress into being one of the worst starting FS's in the league.

The only players who have been good this year on defense are Fuller, Quan, and Johnson. The rest of this D has been playing awful all season. You can put hicks in that group too, I guess.
Hicks saw a lot doubles yesterday... still no sign from Mack tho.

Edit - guess Mack got 1/2 sack.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
Pagano is not scheming great, but this is not really on him. The majority of the blame goes on the players.

Mack is having his worst season pressure wise in his career. Mack had 47 and 45 pressures the last two years. He has 25 this year. Leonard Floyd had 26 last year. Mack is playing barely better than floyd did last year. Let that sink in.

Quinn is non existant. We have really no other pass rushing option. Hicks is decent but you can't ask an interior lineman not named Donald to be a pass rusher on that level.

Goldman is the reason we're giving up chunks in the run game. He was a borderline probowler at his position.

Eddie Jackson has sucked terribly this year. That's not on pagano. He's half assing it out there. The rest of the db's not named skrine have done a decent job. It's hard to defend in the nfl these days when you have a bottom 7 pass rush that was bottom 3 before the last two weeks.
You are underrating Goldman. He's the best 3-4 NT in the league.

As to Quinn and Mack, give them the week off to heal. They shouldn't play versus Jax, especially if this is the effort we get. See if nagging injuries can heal up.