Panarin-Anisimov-Kane

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
First guy to get called up from Rockford will be Danault. He would be on the roster right now if it weren't for his injury. He can play center and PK which means Q has major wood for him. He will also keep Teuvo on the wing where he is much better suited to play.

McNeil is a bust. He'll be traded within a couple of months, IMO. Sort of like how the Hawks traded Pirri and Clendening last year for basically scratch 'em lottery tickets.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
The thing that stands out to me with Pajama Pants is that he isn't afraid of contact nor the trees. That's generally the knock on smaller Russian players and even the bigger ones. That means he is less likely to get stuck in any extended slump because of his willingness to get his nose dirty.

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
McNeil is a bust. He'll be traded within a couple of months, IMO. Sort of like how the Hawks traded Pirri and Clendening last year for basically scratch 'em lottery tickets.

Clendening and Pirri both had potential that a lot of us saw, far from what McNeill ever had. Only reason he's still here is the fact that he fits the Q mold of what a player should be, but he didn't pan out. Either that or no one even wants him.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Clendening was not traded for a lottery scratch nothing talent. Pirri was scrap picks but Gustav Forsling is a legit prospect who looked great in the WJC so his value was boosted and he's had a great start to this season so far.

McNeil is still here because he is Waiver free. They traded off those players before because others overtook their role(especially Clendening) and they can get better future talent than him and because they were going to be no longer going to pass waivers the next season. McNeil could be gone this season at some point because of it, it's also because players that would be in the role he has have beat him, Baun who also should be probably in Rockford played that role better.

McNeil as a prospect's issue was they wanted him to be something he never was. He was a 2-way center with size but not a real size-using player. They moved him to wing so he could try to develop like a powerforward using his size and scoring around the net. He's better but he isn't what ever was desired out of him.

Size isn't all that relevant still, While though it's good that this Crazy88s line has size that can play a 2-way full game in Anisimov

southern_cross_116

Liked Posts:
I hope everyone remembers this excitement when he goes on his 10 game scoreless streak. It's a long season and I think he'll have a great one but there will be ups and down. Let's not forget Teuvo build up last year, I'm still really excited to see him for a whole season. I do totally agree that it's great to see them able to reload the talent without having to rely on it to carry the team and can let it progress at a more natural pace will having good enough vets to carry the team and lead the youngins. I didn't realize Panarin is about to turn 24. But at the same time I have thought he was both older and younger than that.

Not the same deal as Teravainen - not even remotely close - Panarin was playing in and starring in the KHL for the past several years not to mention playing internationally.

And what I mean by starring in the KHL is that Panarin led St Petersburg in scoring for the past 2 seasons -2 seasons ago they were a good team and last season they won the Gagarin Cup - what did Teravainen do prior to getting to the NHL that was even remotely close to the experience that this kid, Panarin, has had?

My point being -there is a pretty good reason he looks polished - he damned well is - he does stuff out there I don't think I have seen anyone do... sure it's early- but you know -have a look at 'the shift' from the other night where Kane scored off of an Anisimov screen - near the start of that sequence behind the net - Panarin makes this little kick move to his stick and immediately dishes it to the guy behind him -and right on the tap ... all of this in the space of the proverbial phone booth. Not to mention screws up a pass and just takes the puck back no sweat - granted Kane did the same thing in that shift -and it was a bit like the Harlem Globetrotters in that sense...

if he manages a spin-o-rama move -I would say that you don't really have another Patrick Kane on your hands -but maybe more like another Denis Savard. . .

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It doesn't show up in the stat line but AA has been camped in front of the goalie for a lot of that scoring.

Samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
Liked Posts:
It doesn't show up in the stat line but AA has been camped in front of the goalie for a lot of that scoring.

Exactly. When Kaner scored on the redirection, AA completely blotted out the goalies view...and despite the pucks lack of pace, knew not to redirect it further (or after looking at it again...whiffed on it :dunno:). No point, but everyone that matters knew his contribution.

italianbeef

Liked Posts:
I still not totally sold on AA, but so far so good. He doesn't seem to be hurting that line at all. I'm surprised no one squawked about Garbutt on the first line. He didn't look out of place to me on Saturday.

Biggest question for AA is if he can stay healthy.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Not the same deal as Teravainen - not even remotely close - Panarin was playing in and starring in the KHL for the past several years not to mention playing internationally.

And what I mean by starring in the KHL is that Panarin led St Petersburg in scoring for the past 2 seasons -2 seasons ago they were a good team and last season they won the Gagarin Cup - what did Teravainen do prior to getting to the NHL that was even remotely close to the experience that this kid, Panarin, has had?

My point being -there is a pretty good reason he looks polished - he damned well is - he does stuff out there I don't think I have seen anyone do... sure it's early- but you know -have a look at 'the shift' from the other night where Kane scored off of an Anisimov screen - near the start of that sequence behind the net - Panarin makes this little kick move to his stick and immediately dishes it to the guy behind him -and right on the tap ... all of this in the space of the proverbial phone booth. Not to mention screws up a pass and just takes the puck back no sweat - granted Kane did the same thing in that shift -and it was a bit like the Harlem Globetrotters in that sense...

if he manages a spin-o-rama move -I would say that you don't really have another Patrick Kane on your hands -but maybe more like another Denis Savard. . .
Umm... did you forget that the kid is 3 years older than Tuevo? Before he came to the Hawks Tuevo has moved up to the top league in finland where he was almost a point a game player at 19. At 19 Panarin will still just average in the KHL. He really only blew up 2 years ago, at an age that Tuevo still hasn't reached. I don't understand what you are trying to compare? Jokerit wasn't as good in the league but he still starred on a team at the highest level where he was one of the youngest players in the league. how is it not comparable? At his age I'd say he's farther along.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Umm... did you forget that the kid is 3 years older than Tuevo? Before he came to the Hawks Tuevo has moved up to the top league in finland where he was almost a point a game player at 19. At 19 Panarin will still just average in the KHL. He really only blew up 2 years ago, at an age that Tuevo still hasn't reached. I don't understand what you are trying to compare? Jokerit wasn't as good in the league but he still starred on a team at the highest level where he was one of the youngest players in the league. how is it not comparable? At his age I'd say he's farther along.

This is like the bad arguments this off-season used only on this board of comparing things not that equally compared. Yes, at Teuvo's age he is further along... that's not relevant to whether or not the actual 23-24 year old in this scenario talked about will be fitting and ready for a whole season. If your whole point is Panarin like every single player will have scoring droughts, then yes, of course. What you mean by saying something about this "Teuvo build up" as if he was disappointing or something? I don't get it, because he wasn't.

Teuvo was knowingly still physically developing, even this offseason was doing that, and needed to adjust more to the game still even if trying to transition more toward center. He had a lot more of adjustment on his plate to begin with other than Panarin's play the 1 position in the 1 style role you know you do fantastic. A scoring shooting/dekeing winger.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:

I think Teuvo and Panarin are two wildly different situations that can't really be compared to the other.

It's early but I've liked just about everything I've seen from AA so far. Certainly didn't think I'd be saying this a few months ago, but if Dano turns out to be a legit NHL Top 6 player the Hawks may have fleeced CBJ in that trade.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Oddly as minor a part, I guess it still may factor in if Paliotta becomes anything of an NHL player. His 1 AHL game so far this season got him an assist, so 1 game so good. I think it's still funny both of them were packaged together to get AA who solidifies a center role. As the team has been lacking in a 2nd line or even simply middle 6 centers apart from just Bolland and rotating guys since they traded Robert Lang, which is what caused them to have both the Saad and Paliotta draft picks.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This crap will fizzle out by Christmas.

halfbaked-boo.gif

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
And then Q will put Panarin on the top line with Toews and Hossa and that line shall rule the world.

southern_cross_116

Liked Posts:

Um no I didn't- but it is the level of the quality of competition that matters - you are essentially comparing juniors playing juniors whereas the KHL would be at worst AHL vs AHL (and sometimes depending on the teams involved better than that).

I am saying that the time spent in the KHL is at least equivalent to playing in the AHL and at times more than that - so therefore Panarin comes as a more developed player, and therefore expecting him to have growing pains like Teuvo did because Panarin is new to the NHL -is discounting the playing experience that Panarin has had.

Or in short - Panarin has been playing against tougher opponents in the KHL than Teravainen had been in Europe. Age isn't really material -but it is a factor - I am not saying anything about Teuvo apart from he came in to the NHL at a younger age and with less experience is all.

I read JJ's blog post today, and it was kinda off base by crapping on guys that looked at the YouTube vids and saw stuff before the season started .... and he was off base with that -because if you looked at them in detail you could tell about vision, shot release, and puckhandling ability -it sort of read like a guy covering his butt and/or making an apology to the band wagon crowd.

I get that they play a shorter season in the KHL ... but then again SKA played in their playoffs, and then iirc Panarin went off and played international hockey - that tournament which fills out the rosters with guys whose teams are done in the NHL playoffs (a shout out to Ovechkin ... ;) ) - and I think was a ppg guy there too - so I don't know if you -can- actually anticipate a burnout factor -- granted a long playoff run in the NHL after 82 games in the regular season might be more hockey than what I just described- but the point I want to get at is - his stats don't indicate that he burnt out last year -so maybe this 'burnout factor' thing is a bit of a stereotype thing.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hmmm, I thought there was a game tonight. Guess not, no GDT. :smh: