Pass Interference Review gone after 1 year "experiment"

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
The whole problem was needing these blatent ones rechecked. There can surely be some NHL type war room watching every game and able to give an immediate decision or stop the game to reverse the call.
Maybe getting some referees who are younger than 55 might help too

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Some of these calls, that the refs refused to overturn, made me think they had money on the line.

THIS,
Article says it well. Problem wasn't the review rule/process, but the fact they never gave challenges a fair shake and stuck with the refs' incorrect call nearly always.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
There simply was not a blatant pass interference problem last year

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Don't see the purpose of abandoning the rule even if it isn't effective. It at least protects the refs from making a monumentally horrendous call at the worst of times. I'm sure if the NFL gave the rule some time the refs would have eventually adjusted.. I think it was so ineffective to begin with because refs were too proud and allowed their ego to get in the way of thought of having to change a PI call.

Now the NFL looks even more silly for rescinding the rule and will get plenty of flack the next time a play happens to the magnitude of the Saints NFC championship call.

At least the NFL keeps all the talking heads some material to discuss and keeps themselves at the center of the discussion.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
How dare anyone question the infallible crusty ass old farts that are officiating these games?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hardly a head-sratcher. This was expected to be dumped and the reason was it didn't correct calls and only stopped games. If they made it more effective, the passing game would cause red flags 8 times a game. Refs need t let some things go in the passing game but under a microscope and letter of the rule, games would get tedious. It was stupid rule about flagrancy judgement and untenable to teams and fans/gamblers.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
Good. Wasted too much time. There is an entertainment factor that has to be acknowledged and taken into account. The reviews took too long.

I just never felt right about it anyway. I think defensive backs get screwed enough as is. Now the refs are supposed to look for any little egregious thing and call it? Pretty sure this would have opened it up to teams eventually figuring out to play like the Niners on Techmo Bowl and just throw it deep all game. Look for penalties. “Oh , he touched him. 50 yard penalty” And another annoying thing is they hardly ever call offensive PI. So the receiver can for the most part be super physical and nobody really pays attention to that. They’re just like “The DB’s hand was on him. They have to call it.” While ignoring that the reveiver is being just as physical.

The worst is underthrown passes where there’s almost no way the DB can know it’s underthrown. And the receive slows down and thr db runs into him. That’s such complete bullshit. You’re essentially rewarding a team for not executing.

Thye really have to approach PI on a case by case basis. I understand people want it in plain writing. But it gets to wordy and officials who for the most part are kind of sticklers for exact interpretations of rules start almost having to be overly sticklerish and make these really egergious calls. Because they won’t just use their judgment, as they should, because the rules being so exact these days creates these weird calls where common knowledge and judgement is just thrown out the window.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Bears got screwed over on a few reviews one of them was bad enough, and then some that didn't get reviewed neither.
I gotten used to it slowing down the game i believe, I don't think it bugged me as much after a while. The networks could of used that mid field camera more often tho, during reviews.. instead of panning the refs.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Good. There's too much stoppage.
For as many times as there was a stoppage that favored your favorite team, there was a stoppage that stopped an onslaught from the opposing offense late in a game when our defense was clearly gassed for being on the field for their 40th minute.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
For as many times as there was a stoppage that favored your favorite team, there was a stoppage that stopped an onslaught from the opposing offense late in a game when our defense was clearly gassed for being on the field for their 40th minute.

Don't care. I'm against stopping the game too much regardless of the outcome - always have been. I watch the games for entertainment. Even in a Bears loss I can be thoroughly entertained if it was a good game.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Hardly a head-sratcher. This was expected to be dumped and the reason was it didn't correct calls and only stopped games. If they made it more effective, the passing game would cause red flags 8 times a game. Refs need t let some things go in the passing game but under a microscope and letter of the rule, games would get tedious. It was stupid rule about flagrancy judgement and untenable to teams and fans/gamblers.

THIS … If they kept it and actually tried to get everything right, the game would have been unwatchable. It was a horrible idea from the beginning. The original play that pre-empted the rule was an egregious miss no doubt, but just let the refs deal with the fallout naturally.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
The NFL just did it to later be able to reference rule changes when calls are blown.

Hard game to officiate and replay isn't helping. Refs have to balance many moving parts and now they are trying to make a call that allows replay to bail them out.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They make it way harder than it needs to be.

I don't understand where you guys are making up this thought that the game was slowed down a ton by this. It simply is not true.
- - - >
Coaches don't challenge often at all because they don't want to risk losing time outs. That's what NFL wanted.

What DOES slow the game is the minimum 20 g'damn replays taken for refs to review a catch. STILL. It's unbelievably annoying...esp when 90% of the time it's very obvious. Usually for clearly "a catch" that was even called a catch, yet they still take forever to review - without a coaches challenge in last 2 mins especially. THAT is the bullshit I see stopping games. :mad:

Use of that Pass Int challenge was few & far between. In fact, there were a few that I wanted Nagy to challenge but he ate the flag....he was probably right b/c it rarely was ever successful...to the point of being incorrectly so (per the article).

Menchifus

Liked Posts:
Here's the issue: Pass Interference is a judgement call. It's very subjective. So, you're asking the ref to review a call he made based on his judgement. Most of the time, he won't admit he was wrong on judgement.

Most other calls are fact-based. Out-of-bounds, Down by contact, Facemask, Throwing past the line of scrimmage, Intentional grounding, fumble. These are easier to say yes or not to. Pass interference can usually go either way. Tough to review that. If anything, it should be a third party in the booth reviewing it. So you nullify the pride the refs have in letting their call stand.