Pass Rush Options - Potential Cuts and Dumpster Dives

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
https://sportsmockery.com/2018/08/former-high-draft-picks-who-may-get-cut-the-chicago-bears-should-watch/

Pace has a number of options as the OLB position across from Leonard Floyd remains.....Underwhelming.

Tier #1 Rock Star Mega Trade.

There is the money. There is the cap space. Khalil Mack (please don't let him become a Packer) The Jags are also "overstuffed" on the D-Line so they might be amenable to trade a Cap Casualty.

Tier #2 Moneyball. Quality players stuck behind stars on team rosters. To be traded for.

Shaquil Barrett is one that I hope that Pace doesn't leave Denver without. (See the Jags)

Tier #3 Reclamation Projects for Big Vic Late Cuts.

This group is former high draft pics that failed to thrive with their first or second teams. In need of a change of scenery and Defensive Scheme (3-4) There are some good ones. (See above article)

Tier #4 Geezer Dumpster Dives. Plug and Play OLBs that are at or on the wrong side of 30.

Pace wants this team younger and faster and the cost to bringing in a crusty old Vet is diminished snaps for young players being developed.

The easy call here is for Lamar Houston. Plug & Play.....he knows the system. But really very little upside.

Pace is going to have to pull the trigger in the next week or two on this issue......if he sees it as an issue at all. This should get interesting.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was doing a thread series on Aaron Lynch, but I never finished it realizing he may never even see the field for the Bears. That being said, a miraculous Lynch comeback is still probably the Bears only hope for edge pressure opposite Floyd.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
lol sportsmockery
half of the names in the article are not going to be cut, those teams dont have anyone remotely good to replace them.
kikaha, lawson and ogbuehi could all get cut but who on the bears are you cutting?

while it sucks lynch has missed most of TC he already knows vic's system.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

I'm down with Pace bringing any OLB that gets cut or doesn't have a job right now at least for a look but it just seems like they aren't very interested in bringing anyone in, right now anyway cause we haven't seen any brought in for looks yet. He could just be waiting for cuts to see who's out there. When do teams have to cut down to 53?

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
lol sportsmockery
half of the names in the article are not going to be cut, those teams dont have anyone remotely good to replace them.
kikaha, lawson and ogbuehi could all get cut but who on the bears are you cutting?

while it sucks lynch has missed most of TC he already knows vic's system.
If the Bears picked up a veteran than Lynch would be the odd man out. He can't help you while in the trainers room.

Lawson is interesting...……….a quality pass rusher at Clemson who was injured in his rookie season. A scheme change last year where he is not a good fit. A change back to a 3-4 front could get him back on track. At best he becomes a designated rusher, at worst you cut him and move on.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Willie Young is underated as a edge rusher but is a liability in coverage. He would of have 7-12 sacks last year with all the playing time our defense got.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Willie Young is underated as a edge rusher but is a liability in coverage. He would of have 7-12 sacks last year with all the playing time our defense got.
If the Bears re-signed Young I would think Acho would be used in base downs and Young at 33 would only be used as a pass rusher. I think we could all live with that for a year. Right now I think the Bears want to use the pre-season to see if the younger Fitts or Irving can fill can fill that role though.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Tier #1 Rock Star Mega Trade.

There is the money. There is the cap space. Khalil Mack (please don't let him become a Packer) The Jags are also "overstuffed" on the D-Line so they might be amenable to trade a Cap Casualty

There is cap space RIGHT NOW. But a year or two down the line, drastic cuts would have to happen to make it feasable. And that would be dumb.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
There is cap space RIGHT NOW. But a year or two down the line, drastic cuts would have to happen to make it feasable. And that would be dumb.
All this talk about Mack...…….he is not going to sit a year and the Raiders are not going to allow someone that good to get away.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I was doing a thread series on Aaron Lynch, but I never finished it realizing he may never even see the field for the Bears. That being said, a miraculous Lynch comeback is still probably the Bears only hope for edge pressure opposite Floyd.
Lynch probably only hope for passrush? I wouldn't say that. Money-wise Bears brass may show more faith in Lynch than I see, but they've shown their hopes in the current roster (which includes the draft).

I mean I think the hopes are (in addition to Lynch) in Irving and Fitts. Which is pretty surprising. So surprising we're assuming the Bears are desparate to acquire more passrush players. But I think that's very exagerated... certainly not going to see a costly trade.

Only because Lynch appears too injured to play are the Bears looking for another OLB -- to replace him.

They seem to be looking for young and lean OLBs (& likely durable). I'd assume only in extreme desperation would we see acqusition of an older big player like Houston or Young.

One last-ditch player I could see is lean, quick & productive vet Elvis Dumervil (5'11" 255) last year, injury-free, in just 341 snaps he recorded 13 tackles and 6.5 sacks as a situational pass-rusher.

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
There aren't too many good names out there that could instantly upgrade the position.

I've heard a few names being thrown out for John Simon (Colts), Shaq Lawson (Bills), and there was someone that mentioned a potential conditional trade pick for Randy Gregory (Dallas) but I'd say Simon would be the best shot. Lawson still has talent and likely needs a change of scenery. I doubt the Gregory thing has any real weight behind it, but it would be interesting to say the least...

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
simon would def be a good signing assuming he gets cut. i'd be curious to know what it would take for denver to trade ray, a 4th or 5th? bears got a close look at him and he's prob the best pass rusher the bears could get outside of mack.

Mikeropod

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. San Antonio Spurs
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Cleveland Browns
  1. San Jose Sharks
  1. Miami (Ohio) Redhawks
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Cornelius Washington just got released by the Lions. Not sure he was ever used strictly as a pass rusher....

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Cornelius Washington just got released by the Lions. Not sure he was ever used strictly as a pass rusher....

Yeah...just saw that! "Cornwash" was allowed to walk with a pretty nice contract to Detroit as the Bears D-Line was already starting to get crowded. Was he playing mostly DE?! Not sure if he can play the OLB that we need....but.....hey......"due diligence!" Maybe kick the tires?!

Per Rotoworld:

Cornelius Washington - DL - Free Agent

Lions released DE Cornelius Washington.

The move saves Detroit $2.7 million in cap space. Washington set career-highs with 24 tackles and 2.5 sacks over 487 defensive snaps last season. In addition to cutting Washington, the Lions waived CB Antwuan Davis and placed LB Steve Longa on injured reserve while signing the trio of CB Dexter McDougle, CB Sterling Moore and OL Beau Nunn.

Related: Lions
Source: Chris Burke on Twitter Aug 20 - 1:06 PM

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Click the link to see videos of some sacks these guys have had that are pretty damn good.

https://t.co/nwd9VA7Gu5

Bears Waiver Wire Targets In Wake of Leonard Floyd News

The news came down. While it wasn’t as bad as feared, the fact remains Chicago’s biggest weakness just got a little bigger. Top pass rusher Leonard Floyd exited the preseason game in Denver with an apparent hand injury. It has since been revealed he broke two fingers and was forced to have surgery to repair them. He’ll likely wear a cast this season. This puts his effectiveness in question and also increases the likelihood of Bears waiver wire targets being heavy in the edge rusher department.

That means GM Ryan Pace and his staff will have eyes on a lot of potential cuts from other teams who might be able to take advantage of an opportunity here. It’s a matter of finding the right names that fit what they do. While there’s no guarantee with any of them, here are some names that have stood out this preseason. Players who may get released due to various circumstances, but not necessarily their talent.

Jeff Holland (OLB, Denver Broncos)
The Bears will have gotten an extended look at the undrafted rookie this past week in joint practices and the preseason game against Denver. He may not be the body beautiful type but there’s no question the Auburn product knows how to generate pressure on the quarterback.

With the Broncos defense already stacked with pass rushers like Von Miller, Bradley Chubb, Shane Ray and Shaq Barrett it’s possible they may try to slip him onto the practice squad.

Reggie Gilbert (OLB, Green Bay Packers)
The Packers are undergoing a bit of a transition on defense under new coordinator Mike Pettine. So it’s difficult to determine who’s safe and who isn’t. Clay Matthews, Nick Perry and former 3rd rounder Kyler Fackrell are likely locks. The same goes for Vince Biegel, a 4th round pick in 2017.

After that, it’s a complete tossup. One name that has surged of late is Reggie Gilbert. He only played two games last year but had a sack in one. Now through two preseason games he has 2.5. The Packers haven’t given him much of a shot lately, but the Bears may be wise to. He’s clearly figured something out.

Trent Harris (DE, New England Patriots)
The Patriots are notorious for trying to slip quality young defenders onto their practice squad for later development. It’s had lots of success in the past. Chicago already took advantage of that when they claimed Cre’Von LeBlanc off waivers two years ago from them.

They may want to prepare another strike with Trent Harris. Though undersized for an edge rusher, he has the violent hands and up-the-field burst needed to make quarterbacks uncomfortable. He may not be a starter, but he looks like an ideal situational pass rusher.

DLineVids
@DLineVids
#Colts OLB John Simon (@johnesimon51; #Buckeyes) keeps it simple. Violent hands & leverage for the sack! #AZvsIND

11:31 AM - Sep 17, 2017

John Simon (DE, Indianapolis Colts)
He left Houston for a chance to start with a new team. Simon landed in Indianapolis and was arguably their best overall defender in 2017. Unfortunately, the team lost a lot and have changed defensive systems as a result. They’re switching to a 4-3 scheme, which doesn’t bode well for him given his limited size.

Simon is much more suited for playing 3-4 outside linebacker as he’s done his entire career. His sack totals are never out of this world but he gets more pressure than people think and he’s a smart player who can create issues all over the field.

Jayrone Elliott (DE, New Orleans Saints)
The New Orleans Saints supplemented their pass rush this offseason by trading up in the first round for Marcus Davenport. Together with Cameron Jordan and Hau’oli Kikaha, they have an intriguing rotation on the edge. This leaves the status of Jayrone Elliott up in the air.

The former Packer never got much action in Green Bay and only appeared in one game after being traded to Dallas. This preseason he’s really off to a strong start, notching 2.5 sacks in his first game. He’s always had intriguing skills but hasn’t found the right opportunity. If the Saints cut him loose, the Bears could be there to offer it.

DLineVids
@DLineVids
#Saints Jayrone Elliott (@Jay_Elliott15) dips, bends the corner & finishes on the QB's arm for a strip-sack. Great awareness from the vet!

4:51 PM - Aug 10, 2018

Shilique Calhoun (DE, Oakland Raiders)
Hopes were high for Shilique Calhoun coming out of college. He’d established himself as one of the more consistent pass rushers at Michigan State, collecting 18.5 sacks in his final two years at the program. The size (6’4) and length (34-inch arms) are there, something Vic Fangio tends to covet at that position.

Yet for whatever reason the former 3rd round pick has struggled, getting just one sack in his first two years. Is he really that bad or was he getting poor coaching? Recent preseason indications hint it may have been the latter as he’s generating pressure far more often than before. It may be too late to save his roster spot but is definitely worth exploring.

Mikeropod

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. San Antonio Spurs
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Cleveland Browns
  1. San Jose Sharks
  1. Miami (Ohio) Redhawks
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Yes, he was the prototypical swiss army knife, but just hung around forever.

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
DSCF2866.jpg