Passenger jets in formation

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Airbus is working on experiments to fly passenger jets in formation to save fuel.

They cite a 2001 study of pelicans (apparently the most efficient species of bird at flying in formation)...
Trailing pelicans glide more often and have an average 14% lower heart rate than the lead bird.

They are estimating 1 to 1 and a half nautical miles apart between planes would be far enough to be safe yet close enough to ride the vortex.

Very cool.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
TIL pelicans run off jet fuel...

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Well aren't you a f**ing idiot eh?
Die slow in a locked sauna
I hope your children disown you
Ditch weed and deck beers later?

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Worst part about airports is when you go to take a piss and there is a mountain full of pubes in the urinal.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Worst part about airports is when you go to take a piss and there is a mountain full of pubes in the urinal.

H8 to brake it to ya, but that only happens in Iowa airports....

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
H8 to brake it to ya, but that only happens in Iowa airports....
The DSM airport is clean AF. I'm talking major hubs like Dallas and Atlanta. Those places are gross lol

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The DSM airport is clean AF. I'm talking major hubs like Dallas and Atlanta. Those places are gross lol
I've never been to either.

The Portland airport is probably the best US airport I've ever been to.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I will echo O'hare as one of, if not the worst airport.

I hate the ride there....

I hate how they layout their security lines....

I hate how it feels like you're walking thru some kind of funhouse/mirror maze.....

I hate how fucking mediocre all the restaurants/bars are (I spent like 5 hours there during a storm)....

I hate how long it takes from the time you land to the time you hit the gate... who else has looked at the flight tracker and thought "We'll land in 10 minutes, I can wait to use the restroom" and then you land and spend 20 minutes to get to the gate.

I hate the same meandering walk out of the airport that I took on the way in.

I hate their half-assed Uber/Lyft pickup zone (at least last time I was there)

Midway isn't wildly better, but at least you can get in and out of that airport inside of 15 minutes.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Midway isn't wildly better, but at least you can get in and out of that airport inside of 15 minutes.

Guess you haven't been there when the security line extends all the way to the parking garage

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I will echo O'hare as one of, if not the worst airport.

I hate the ride there.... - This all depends on where you live. For me getting to O'Hare is easy.

I hate how they layout their security lines.... -Yes, unless you have pre-check on a non-Monday morning.

I hate how it feels like you're walking thru some kind of funhouse/mirror maze.....-I think only the tunnel to C Gate in United is really the funhouse/mirror maze part.

I hate how fucking mediocre all the restaurants/bars are (I spent like 5 hours there during a storm)....-Yes, though its better than it used to be. But other airports are vastly better.

I hate how long it takes from the time you land to the time you hit the gate... who else has looked at the flight tracker and thought "We'll land in 10 minutes, I can wait to use the restroom" and then you land and spend 20 minutes to get to the gate. -This is absolutely the worst part. Their new runway alignment causes this unless you happen to get lucky. Thankfully when I returned from Munich we got to land on the closest runway and were at the gate in 5 minutes.

I hate the same meandering walk out of the airport that I took on the way in. -Depends on terminal.

I hate their half-assed Uber/Lyft pickup zone (at least last time I was there) -Lack of experience with this.

Midway isn't wildly better, but at least you can get in and out of that airport inside of 15 minutes. -Unless security is screwed up, then it's backed up into the parking garage. And unless you take a shuttle bus to the parking lot you parked in and it takes an hour to show up at the terminal.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
you know who likes O'Hare? Jan Terri does!