Path to the draft thinks we trade up...

Nick80

Unlikely. The media are now even struggling to fill in the two week gap with shit.

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
it would be nice to land Donald but I highly doubt Emery will trade up this early in the draft. yeah, there are a couple elite talents that would immediately improve our team but PH has put us in a manageable position to draft BPA at 14

Liked Posts:
Charles Davis and Daniel Jeremiah think the Bears will try to trade up to 9 to leapfrog the Lions and take Aaron Donald. Would the board be ok with this? I would. Rather not move up, but I think Donald is that good. I love this time of year...just a few more days

Yup. Unless HCD is going to be there at #14, which I doubt, I see no need to miss out on one of the best interior lineman prospects over the past ten seasons over a couple of mid round picks, both present & future.

Though I don't think Emery will have to go so high & leapfrog the Lions to do so.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yup. Unless HCD is going to be there at #14, which I doubt, I see no need to miss out on one of the best interior lineman prospects over the past ten seasons over a couple of mid round picks, both present & future.

Though I don't think Emery will have to go so high & leapfrog the Lions to do so.

I agree with this.

Elite is elite and that is what makes the difference between good and championship level teams.

As long as I keep my 2nd, I need a safety to compete to start, I am listening.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
I think Emery is going to roll with Mundy and Conte this year. He picked up 3 DE's in free agency and will draft a tackle this year. I am guessing the idea here is with an improved pass rush the safety play will improve. Keeps him flexible to draft other positions.

No way he doesn't draft a safety at some point. The bears have spent s lot of time scouting out safeties and "longer" corners that can play safety.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
I'm all for trading up as long as it doesn't cost us more than a 3rd. If the bears are serious about making a run at the Super Bowl Getting a dominate (at least at the college level) pass rusher is key. Houston and young both create a lot of pressure so when the QB is forced to step up it would be nice to have a pass rusher in the middle to hit him when he does.

I still believe between Bucannon, ward, and brooks that one of them will be there in the second round.

Treehorn

Liked Posts:
No way he doesn't draft a safety at some point. The bears have spent s lot of time scouting out safeties and "longer" corners that can play safety.

Yeah he probably will but I don't think its an absolute in the 1st or 2nd like so many think. I no opposed to it, I just feel like Emery has put the Bears in a great position to be flexible in where/who they draft.

nitelife

Liked Posts:
Out of town stupid. They have to go safety in the first round with this current group of misfits and cast offs from other teams on the roster. DT can wait until the second round.

who was the last DB taken by the Bears in the 1st round, much less, the top half of the 1st round ?

They always felt they could get a good " salad-guy " in the later rounds

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Charles Davis and Daniel Jeremiah think the Bears will try to trade up to 9 to leapfrog the Lions and take Aaron Donald. Would the board be ok with this? I would. Rather not move up, but I think Donald is that good. I love this time of year...just a few more days
I love Donald but i absolutely do not want to give up our 3rd round pick when we can still get someone that can start and help us from day 1 at 14.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I'm not sure why people think a trade up is so far-fetched. Emery clearly believes the team can seriously compete now, and after his moves in FA, the only two "must haves" he's got to come out of the draft with are a starting DT and a starting Safety. There are no game-changing Safeties worth trading up for in this draft, so if he could trade up to get a game-changing DT, why not do it? He sacrifices a third round pick that would only be a depth player this year anyways and grabs one of the solid Safeties in the second round. Statistically that third round pick is far more likely to be a Roosevelt Williams than a Lance Briggs.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
The Bears should trade their first and third round picks for the 9th overall pick. Take Aaron Donald in the first round and a safety in the second round.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
If it cost our 1st and 3rd I would.

Elite game changing talent at a position of need, that you can be aggressive for.

Draft safety in the 2nd and move on to day 3.
There's a chance that we can find a player that could be a starter next year in the 3rd round because this is such a strong draft so i don't want to trade that chance away.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I'm not sure why people think a trade up is so far-fetched. Emery clearly believes the team can seriously compete now, and after his moves in FA, the only two "must haves" he's got to come out of the draft with are a starting DT and a starting Safety. There are no game-changing Safeties worth trading up for in this draft, so if he could trade up to get a game-changing DT, why not do it? He sacrifices a third round pick that would only be a depth player this year anyways and grabs one of the solid Safeties in the second round. Statistically that third round pick is far more likely to be a Roosevelt Williams than a Lance Briggs.
And what do we do if/when DJ.Williams and C.Tillman get hurt?? Sure would be nice to have a MLB or CB that we could get with that 3rd round pick.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
And what do we do if/when DJ.Williams and C.Tillman get hurt?? Sure would be nice to have a MLB or CB that we could get with that 3rd round pick.

And exactly which third round LB and CB prospects do you believe are going to step in and be better than our current logjam of LBs and veteran CBs?

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
I rather get Donald at 14, but I think he is going to be something special so I wouldn't absolutely hate it if they traded up to get him as long as the price isn't ridiculous.

TheDane

Liked Posts:
No one is really talking about the Bucs taking Donald but it is a real possibility IMO. One last FU from Lovie. Maybe it means they don't have to sign McCoy to a big contract and Lovie may think Donald is that special 3 tech the way Sapp was.

Because McCoy is not, with his 9½ sacks last year, and immense talent?

I know I'm not supposed to rule anything out when it comes to the draft. But drafting Donald, when arguably your best player plays the same position, is nonsense. Even with the upcoming contract in mind. They have the money, and should give it to him

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I love Donald but i absolutely do not want to give up our 3rd round pick when we can still get someone that can start and help us from day 1 at 14.

so you wouldn't be happy with Donald and Bucannon as your first three picks.......if we could get those players and give up our third I'd do it in a heart beat.

strockrocks

Liked Posts:
There's a chance that we can find a player that could be a starter next year in the 3rd round because this is such a strong draft so i don't want to trade that chance away.

I think that phrase being thrown around is misleading. Yes, the draft is deep, but NOT with all starters in the 3rd round. Just good solid players. Some will be starters; some will not. It depends on the position. Safety or even CB - NO WAY. Some GMs are saying there are only 5 draftable safeties in the ENTIRE draft. I'm not sure where people are getting the impression that the first 100 or so picks all have great chances to be starters. I totally disagree. We'll see how it all pans out....

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
we really need to get a safety. it's pretty thin. so i'd be happy to trade up to #9 to get Donald, I DO think he's special. wonder if we could trade TWO fourth instead of one third? I'd love to get Donald then a safety at #51, and if we have our third, a CB there. THERE are some good CBs later in the draft. i'm big on Exum later.

#09 Aaron Donald DT
#51 Deone Buccannon OR Terrence Brooks S
THIRD TRADED
4th McCullers DT
5th Exum CB
6th Thomas RB
6th Lyerla TE